Home Forums General Karting Discussion What type Kart should I buy?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      William Butcher
      Participant

Hello All,

OK, First off I am 62, good shape and weigh in at 175 lbs. and just found out I love Karting. I have done some arrive and drive at Orlando Race Park and Andersons Racing Park in Palmetto, Fl. At Andersons, I have done 8 sessions (races they call them, 15 laps.) in Karts that do about 45 mph and.  I am back in NH for 6 months. I hope to get started with the NHKA. They are not a arrive and drive outfit. You must have your own Kart. If available, some dealers that show up at the races may have rentals.  Seeing I’m a rookie, and in Fl. drove on the master class days ( always improving my lap times) I take in Fl. and NH. I would compete in the TAG Masters races. I take the class is the same in Fl. as in NH. Now, just what type, class, Kart should I be looking to buy for the TAG Masters class? Being a rookie, a new  $5000 to $6000+ I feel may be a premature purchase until I see if I have what it takes to drive these completion Karts. So if looking for a used Kart, just what should I be looking for?

I see quite a few used Karts for sale in NH or MA. in Craigslist. Not sure of these. If all goes well, I plan to take the Kart between NH and FL every 6 months. ( Yes, I am a Snow Bird) 30 years of NH winters make me long for a longer summer! Any help would be thankful. Any NHKA racers out there know of the correct Kart to buy, drop me a Msg.

Thanks, Bill

Ossipee, NH

Lakeland, fl

Walt Gifford
      Participant

Any of the major brands 2008 or newer. Just make sure it’s not too scraped off on the bottom and that you can get rebuild parts for the brakes. CRG Road Rebel is a good one.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
      Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
      Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
      41 years karting experience

David Cole
      Keymaster

Hi Bill and welcome to EKN and karting.

I would contact DRT Racing to see about a TaG Master package for you. They are an importer for the DR Racing Kart. They have one shop in New Hampshire and race team is based in Tennessee. TS Racing in Florida will also give you an option for parts and support during the winter months.

Another option for NHKA is the World Formula class. You can be competiive with a lower initial budget – buying a used kart with the engine around $1000 I believe.

Contact Keith Buffo for more specific questions about NHKA. Great person.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor

William Butcher
      Participant

Hello All,

Well, I will need to rethink Karting with NHKA. My hopes for Karting must wait until my return to Florida in the fall. Reason? Far more costly to even test a Kart than I expected. To rent a Kart is next to impossible. and if you do, it will set you back $250 and was told if I went off track and got the Kart dirty, that would set me back another $150 for the cleaning of the Kart. Having never driven a TAG Kart and still mostly a rookie, most likely I’d end up overdriving the Kart and headed into the grass. $4oo for a days racing, not to mention any standard fees is just too steep for a Rookie like me to dish out. On top of that the required racing suit ($899) helmet ($499) and gloves, neck brace, rib protector and shoes (all prices quoted from a dealer). I loved racing the “Rock” karts (only 45mph) at Anderson Race Park in Fl. Sure they are arrive and drive and helmets/neck brace are included, but I will learn the art down there, met the required lap time in order to take a lesson on the TAG Karts (equipment provided) for far less than $400 a day. I know serious Karting can be costly, new TAG karts starting over $5,000 and way up for serious racers. Nothing is cheap these, but I did not know the cost of getting into karting as a hobbyist ( outside of arrive and drive) is so costly. Maybe one day I’ll find someone “retiring” from Karting and buy and learn on used equipment. Until then , a 2 hour drive to a outdoor arrive and drive track south of Boston will fill my needs!!!

Have a great Karting summer! I hope to be watching from the side lines at the NHKA races.. So much to learn!

Thanks for the info!

Bill, Ossipee, NH

David Cole
      Keymaster

Bill, I find it hard to believe that is the case. Did you connect with Keith yet?

I don’t want to speak for him, but I’m sure you could try out his World Formula kart for free. If someone is charging you $150 for cleaning, you are not talking to the right person.

If you are doing Rock Karts, I suggest getting a suit anyway. You can get a perfect karting suit to use for regular karting and Rock racing for $115 from K1

Helmet, yes, get one as well for about $450 from Bell

Like I said, this story sounds weird and not normal. Please don’t stop your path toward becoming part of our community with this bad taste. It truly is not what the sport is.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor

William Butcher
      Participant

Thanks for the replies,

When I went to NHKA race (in was rainy) I felt quite overwhelmed at the large trailers, tents, and people running around getting their Karts ready. To ask questions, I felt I’d be in their way. Everyone changing to rain tires, then as things started to day out, some went back to slicks. Looked for a “One Man” team, I could only find one. All others look to have pit crews. I am looking just to be that “One Man ( or girl, as they were also racing) Team”  I will look into K-1,

Where are they located, and number to reach them at?

Thanks again, Bill

Brian Degulis
      Participant

I don’t know how they do it in NH I’ve never been there. In FL your best option would be a clone kart. Clone is a chinese copy of a Honda GX 200 it was developed to provide a low cost platform for racing. Check out Box Stock Project on the web. For under $3000 you can buy a good clone kart. For $125 you can buy a suite if you want one or you can buy a jacket for $60 and just wear jeans. You can get a decent helmet for under $200. For a $55 track fee you can practice at Anderson all day. You can race every month with Tri City Kart Club in St pete. They have a good senior class and you won’t be running against big money  just good local racing. You can keep a clone running for very little money. They’re faster than anderson’s rentals not as fast as TAG but they won’t beat up your body or drain your bank acount like TAG will.

Brian

Brian Mead
      Participant

Bill- I’m a geezer too, and have been drawn to the LO206 motor and class.  To drive a tag fast lap after lap at our age is tough, and as Keith said, a very steep learning curve.  My Leopard is quick and trust me, after about 2/3 of a final I was totally gassed and rapidly became a moving chicane.  I hope NHKA will look at an adult 206 class,  it has a great selling point, its cheap. Plan and simple. Motor is sealed and due to the lack of hp you can make older stuff ( which you can pick up cheap) work.  The mistakes you will make will be at a more manageble speed, and allow you to get your feet under you for racing.   TAGs  are fast  and beat you to death, and if you  are new, you’ll be trying to catch up to the kart for awhile.  Good luck

Walt Gifford
      Participant

Kart and Parts Clearance Sale

Gif

Keith Buffo
      Participant

Thank you David, and welcome Bill. Have you found the NHKA Racing Series website?  http://www.nhka.net  Under the information tab you’ll lots of details about the karts and classes we race. By liking our Facebook page you’ll have all the latest event updates delivered to your news feed. http://www.facebook.com/NHKAracingseries

We have a race this Saturday at New Hampshire Motor Speedway. Seeing the TaG Masters and World Formula karts on track, checking them out up close in the pits and talking with the drivers is the best way to gather info about which is best for you. I’ll be away at a national race, but if you go find Mike Camarra, he’s the guy who runs things. Mike will answer your questions and introduce you to people that would be helpful.

If you make it to the race, please post back here your experiences, what you learned and any lingering questions for the benefit of other people looking for the best route into the sport who have the same questions… TaG Masters vs. World Formula is a common one. Actually you’ve inspired me to write a piece on on the pros and cons of each. Probably later next week I’ll post it to the NHKA website and post a link to this thread. So be sure to click the little box below “Notify me of follow-up replies via email”.

Finally, share a link to the website of the track/club where you’ll be racing in FL (specifically their rules/classes) I’ll be able to compare and offer some thoughts on which class would be most most in synch between the clubs. You’ll find NHKA’s rules under the INFORMATION tab of http://www.nhka.net</span></p&gt;

Walt Gifford
      Participant

Bill you could be into an LO206 or clone kart used for under $1500 easy.

Keith Buffo
      Participant

(edit: looks like David and I were writing our replies at the same time.)

Hi Bill, I do hope you join us at the track and talk to a few people. Folks find a way into the sport at a wide variety of budgets. Being just one step down in performance from shifters, TaG karts and parts can be pretty pricy depending upon age and quality. The rental prices you quoted are fair and common for a TaG kart. The $150 is a disincentive as much as anything. Nobody should ever be driving over their heads. You learn, you get faster. Nobody gets faster wrecked. Google suits and helmets, or just click an ad on this site… the prices aren’t near what you think.

Walt makes a good suggestion about the Briggs 4-cycle karts. Much less expensive than TaGs to buy and maintain. Not as fast but tons of fun. The NHKA doesn’t have a clone class or an adult LO206 class. That’s because they are about the same speed/power as rentals, and there’s plenty of rental tracks around here. We run the WF instead, which is similar to the LO206, but twice the power. You can find very good used complete WF karts in the mid $2k range.

Come to the track. Ask around. Folks will try to help you find a way in.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.