Home Forums Shifter Karts What Class Is Good To Get Into?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Rob Hogenmiller 3 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Rob Hogenmiller
    Participant

Hi, I used to race SKUSA/WKA/IKF sprint racing back in 99-02 and ended up doing well with track record in Rotax racing and a few King of Streets races in the shifterkart, and some manufacturer cup racing in Florida. I’m helping a friend get a kart going again. He has a motor that the piston is froze on the crank arm, can’t get the wrist pin off to get the piston off. We are thinking of sending the engine to Swedetech to have them rebuild the motor as a practice motor it’s a modified Honda CR125. I don’t think these motors are legal anymore so am just thinking as using his old kart and this motor as a practice kart and purchasing a new CRG roller and purchase a new motor. What motor would I be looking to buy? I’m open to non shifterkart too, just want to be in the class with the best drivers for safety reasons and to sharpen our skills again.

Bernie Lacotta
    Participant

Best bet is to see what rhey are racing at your local track.

Rob Hogenmiller
    Participant

http://www.midamericamotorplex.com/site/about

Here is my local track don’t know much about the racing they do there though.

Rob Kozakowski
    Participant

It’s next to impossible to give this advice because karting is continually getting more fragmented, with pockets of classes that are popular in one region that may not exist “next door”.  So, if you just want to stay local, pick whatever is run locally.  If you might travel or race beyond that level, the following kind of summarizes what might be available to choose from…

Shifter – is mostly “Stock” Honda, but the KZ (ICC/Euro) stuff is making a comeback in a few places.  You’re correct that Mod Moto is all but dead, with the exception of some road racing, and the odd small club level stuff.

2-cycle racing – it’s a mess on a National level, but most regions will have 1 or 2 classes that are decent.  In general, you’ll either look at “TAG” (Rotax Max, IAME, Vortex Rok each have their own 1-make deals, and in a few places they’re run together as “TAG” with a few other engine options); and some places still have an old-school KT-100 presence.

4-cycle racing – I’d say that the new(ish)Briggs LO206 might be the saviour of karting in North America.  Any smart club and region should be running these things, and it is catching on more and more across the country.  It might be the only class in all of karting that has a presence and is run to the same specs, from coast to coast.  Aside from the LO206, 4-cycle is just as big a mess as 2-cycle.

Morgan Schuler
    Participant

I had no idea someone bought MAM and started doing improvements. Between the flooding and continually losing money the track and facilities really took a beating. It’s good to see they are making improvements.

That said, there is almost no karting presence in western Iowa/eastern Nebraska (besides dirt). While you might be able to run a kart at MAM/RPM they don’t have club racing or host a series. Your best bet is to look at KART MARRS road racing series (kart.org) or head out to Motorsport Park Hastings (racemph.com). MPH actually has club racing but I have no idea what is popular or which classes they run.

James McMahon
    Participant

Yeah the only sprint asphalt track within 250 miles pacific junction that I can find is TNT Kartways.

Theres a total of 16 tracks within 250 miles that offer karting in sprint, oval or long track form. http://tinyurl.com/kbnnlnl

The LO206 is a very stable package, very low maintenance and makes it easy to just get out there and turn laps. Quite a bit slower than a shifter, but still offers great racing with a lot less work.

Rob Hogenmiller
    Participant

This is great information all, we like the LO206 engine, looks like my son and I could both get karts and have fun racing with each other and others. 4 hours to travel for some racing isn’t bad for a Sunday race day. We’d probably just head out of town after the Sabbath on Saturday night and get to destination around midnight or so and make it early morning breakfast and let the good times roll. My son is 5′ something around 5’2 I think. Any recommendations for a kart. I like CRG for myself not sure which chassis they offer that is good for this engine. I’m 5’11 not sure if we could share a kart or not?

Rob Hogenmiller
    Participant

I also have a step son that is about the same weight as my son and is two years younger. My boy is 11 and step son is 9. Step son is around 4’9 or 4’10.

Rob Kozakowski
    Participant

If CRG is your thing and you’re looking new(er)…

In Canada, PSL Karting offered a CRG/PSL RS5 28mm frame that was purpose-built for the LO206, and run to Canadian specs (50″ max width, 6.0 rear tires).  I’m not sure where you’ll find them in the USA.

If you’re set on CRG and LO206, that would be a very good option, as the cost of the chassis was much lower than a typical “TAG” chassis, by using 40mm rear end, 17mm front end, older brake system, only 2 rear axle bearings / carriers, etc.

The downside to that setup is that it isn’t suitable for moving up to other classes with more horsepower.

The CRG KT-1 is a 30mm 2-cycle chassis that can be setup to take a LO206, and should work just fine for a bigger guy, or run at 55″, 7.1 rears, etc – and can still take a more powerful engine package if you want.

For the step-son, a cadet kart would probably be the way to go.

Rob Hogenmiller
    Participant

Thanks Rob all really helpful stuff. What’s the closest kart shop to Nebraska/Iowa border that sells that Briggs LO206?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.