Home Forums Shifter Karts what can I expect when I change my front sprocket?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Chris Beebe
      Participant

I figured I would throw this out there being the big boys are using the track this weekend and next weekend is a club event. This being said, I may not get a lot of testing before I end up racing with everyone else. I have a 16 tooth front sprocket on my honda 125 and a 25 rear. It goes real well in the open but in the tight and twisty stuff if I am not way up in the rpm range its kind of a dog! B S.ing at the track last time to some other guys it sounds like not very many people run a 16T. I picked up a 15 and was wondering what kind of change this might make. Does this sound like a practical gear change? Anyone know how this will affect the power range of the kart? I just figured being I cant be playing on the track to find out for myself I would ask it here!

Matt Dixon
      Participant

<span style=”color: #000000; font-family: ‘.HelveticaNeueUI’; font-size: 15px; white-space: nowrap; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(26, 26, 26, 0.296875); -webkit-composition-fill-color: rgba(175, 192, 227, 0.230469); -webkit-composition-frame-color: rgba(77, 128, 180, 0.230469);”>http://www.swedetechracing.com/tech_tips/gear_ratio_chart.html</span&gt;

94y

Chris Beebe
      Participant

Link is not working so I went to swedtech and looked at the gear calculator.  I can see the numerical change but how does this relate? Is there something I should be looking for? They dont really give you any info other than numbers?

Gary Smith
      Participant

You can expect your rpms to increase 67 rpm per 1,000 rpm in each gear at the same speed. Just say with your present gearing you are coming out of a corner in 3rd gear at 8,000 rpm, changing to 15-25, at the same speed, you will be turning 8536 rpm. It will give you more punch out of the corner, but you will loose a little top end down the straight. Are you getting into to 6th in the longest straight? Are you maxing out your rpms in this straight?

Gary

Honda CR80 #55

Chris Beebe
      Participant

I am getting into 6th in the one big straight we have but by no means am I maxing out the rpms.  Sounds like this may work out well for me.

Andrew Pachon
      Participant

Great explanation Gary.

Thank you for sharing.

~Andy

<div>Gary Smith wrote:</div>
      You can expect your rpms to increase 67 rpm per 1,000 rpm in each gear at the same speed. Just say with your present gearing you are coming out of a corner in 3rd gear at 8,000 rpm, changing to 15-25, at the same speed, you will be turning 8536 rpm. It will give you more punch out of the corner, but you will loose a little top end down the straight. Are you getting into to 6th in the longest straight? Are you maxing out your rpms in this straight? Gary Honda CR80 #55

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.