Home Forums General Karting Discussion What battery for IAME KA100? (same as any TAG?)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Troy Berry 8 months ago.

• Author

Rod Hawkins
    Participant

I plan to get a KA100 and was wondering what battery should be used? Logic tells me that probably any battery that works for the TAG 125 motors would/should work, but I’d like to know for sure.

Will want as light as possible, so will get Lithium. I do see a Rotax branded one for $300. LOL. Also a Shorai Lithium for about $120, but then I found this one and saw mention of it in a thread here, $100 for battery and charger.

Anyone know if this one would work?

Deltran BTL09A120C Lithium 12V 120 CCA + Battery Tender Junior 800 022-0199-DL-WH Combo

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0746NC9CN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Paul Montopoli
    Participant

I got mine off the shelf at the Bulb+Battery near the track at GoPro for $45. Sales guy said all the karters get them there. Worked all season – 5 F-Series weekends — with a Leopard no problem.  I don’t know the model or name but was their private label brand.

Rod Hawkins
    Participant

I got mine off the shelf at the Bulb+Battery near the track at GoPro for $45. Sales guy said all the karters get them there. Worked all season – 5 F-Series weekends — with a Leopard no problem. I don’t know the model or name but was their private label brand.

I doubt that this would be an ultra light weight Lithium variety at that price

tony zambos
    Participant

Any good 12v 9Ah should do. Same as an X-30. A word of caution. Bought a couple of inexpensive 12v batteries from a battery store back when we ran a leopard. They last maybe a weekend of road racing. Discovered that those types of batteries do well in an emergency exit signs. They don’t hold up the vibration of a race vehicle. We may have been the exception to the rule as others did ok with cheaper batteries. I went to a large kart retailer and bought his best battery. The battery was as good as ever when the engine sold a couple of years later.
    Our KA came with a Duracell 12v 9Ah but haven’t had the opportunity to used it yet. Too blinking cold out.

LAD Specialties customer / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Troy Berry
    Participant

I’m thinking I might try the charger from Fastech when I get a lithium for my Ka.

http://www.fastech-racing.com/battery-tender-800-acid-lithium-junior-battery-charger.html

The battery/charger combo looks like a good deal. Plus I like that it is made specifically for powersports.

Anyone know if you can run some Automotive style LED 12v lights off the system without taxing it? We like to throw some on the kart for  night racing!

"The Art is in the details"
    BirelArt AM29 LO206
    Intrepid Cruiser KA 100

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.