Home Forums General Karting Discussion We need teaching Tools

This topic contains 9 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  James McMahon 5 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

russ Jolly
    Participant

I had a thought the other day. Most people or videos that I have seen say karting is the best kept secret in motorsports and that you basically have to know somebody to get started. When I first started I knew lots of people that were racing and it was realativly fun and easy. As time went on my friends stopped and ultimatly I stopped and joined the military. After 5 and half years I got out and returned to karting. I got my self a shifter kart and went to the track. After being gone for so long I had questions and nobody to help. Everything was trial and error and ekartingnews was a god send. Today I thought to my self, How much easier would it be if there were specific videos on carbs, engines, calsses, chassis setup. Not general stuff like “wrench-to-win”, I mean relevant information as it pertains to a certian class. I think that a lot of people are just afraid to ask for information from those that know and then just get discouraged and ultimatly end up leaving the sport within 1-2 years. Ekarting is a good source of info but like myself, I had so many questions that I had to hunt down and took lots of time to find and even then I wasnt sure if I was tunning the correct part. If information was categorized per class in a how-to video and marketed like “Become One”, do you guys think that we would be able to retain and attract more because of the availability of information? I’d like to know what you think.

David Cole
    Keymaster

Hi Russ, you are stating exactly what our Kart 101 section of the website. As time passes, we will be debuting many new sections to the website to help further support the sport and the industry. Among them will be a section with videos, testimonials, tips, etc that will be geared toward those new to the sport. Stay tuned.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor

Brian Degulis
    Participant

Your spot on in all respects information is hard to come by in all areas of karting. Tracks list the classes they run but not the participation levels so there isn’t any way to know if it’s an active class. KZ engine manufacturers love selling a $5500 engine package but none of them offer a service manual I could get for a $175 chain saw It’s insane. There is no beginners guide I know of that’s complete. The standard advice for the beginner is “go to your local track” That’s OK if you have a local track and your lucky enough to randomly pick the right people to talk to and not the knuckle heads.

Brian

russ Jolly
    Participant

I agree Brian. Local track are sometimes 2-3 hour drives. Then sometimes there is no one there to help because they are out at different track for this series or that series.  Im glad that EKN is taking the lead some what on this, I just hope that will do exactly what I was talking about above with a variety of video, pictures and text cause we all learn different. David im also an impatient person so when ever you wanna start getting that content up that would be great! (just kiddin)

Phil D
    Blocked

Great Idea Russ

tony zambos
    Participant

I probably shouldn’t respond to this thread, but what the heck.  We started out at a small track with a Briggs and a 357 chassis.  The extent of my racing knowledge was zero.  For almost any question I had at the track, I could get several different answers and some whacky reasons why. Even when I went to talk to John at John’s Kart Shop in Chicago, for what I thought would be a simple answer, John could give a twenty minute dissertation. I’d have to stop John because he had over saturated me with knowledge.

For those starting today, there is vast knowledge base waiting on the internet.  One of the best sources is this forum.  It’s still not going to be easy getting started.  You will have to learn your craft.  If you have a local kaft shop, use those people.  I started out making dozens of different length valves for the Briggs and a box full of cam shafts. Just concentrated on trying to make the motor go faster.  That was a mistake.  Going fast is paying attention to everything, the kart, the motor and the driver.

Russ, I’m not picking on you.  But if you are traveling 2-3 hours to a track, have a plan.  If there is only a couple of people that show up, that’s great.  You can try different chassis set ups.  Finding the set ups that are junk is almost as valuable as the ones that work great.  Try different gearing.  Try different lines.  Most importantly, make notes after every track sessions.

The rewards will not be instantaneous in this sport.  But with patience and had work, they will come.  Enjoy the racing and the friends at the track.

LAD Specialties customer / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Walt Gifford
    Participant

That’s the charm of karting, it’s an exotic sub culture hidden from the unwashed masses.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Andrew Pachon
    Participant

I have to admit that I learned quite a bit from reading CRG’s Chassis set up guide as well as Memo Gidley’s Secrets to Speed for Shifter Karting. Thankfully I met a local shifter racer who has been a wealth of knowledge.

~Andy

John Savage
    Participant

This is Kartings biggest Secret

TRACK TIME

Jetting and Kart Set-up Software

http://www.rotaxjetting.com

James McMahon
    Participant

Seat sime is good, but its overemphasised IMO. Here’s why.
    You can drive all you want, and pound laps to your heart’s content but if you’re practicing bad habits you’re going to get nowhere.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.