Home Forums Road Racing Track Day Discussion

This topic contains 53 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Robert Lawson 1 day, 22 hours ago.

• Author

Robert Lawson
    Participant

As requested I am starting a new thread.

I really wanted to see that other one make 100K views before moving on, that’s too cool!

Lets hope this solves the speed and loading issues.

To start, I’m personally SUPER excited about Nelson Ledges getting on a schedule…. and a 3 day GIG at that!!!! Would have preferred to see it replace the FALL MIS date in the schedule but someone much smarter than I must have it all figured out. I have said from day one, my interest in Nelson was to get karts back there and we will be there with bells on. Unfortunately, it will probably keep us from making that long awaited return to M-O. Hence the Aug/Sept wish for a date at the Ledge……

We have lots planned for the Winter and getting ready for the Spring Test at Grattan.

So, here is the current status update :

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Just wanted to share this….

Nelson Ledges, August 25 2017:

Its just Chuck and I, Bobby K came out too, checkin’ it out and shootin’ pics. Fred is the Track Manager, he shoved me off. No EMT’s or corners on sight so Fred said “just take it easy….”

I’m told the curbs are in now, that will help with turn in sighting. It looks so different with all the trees gone. Plenty of flat groomed infield grass to camp on too! There is a 5 minute video at the FB page, take a look. It has the repave and some nice drone footage.

https://www.facebook.com/nelsonledgesroadcourse

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Hope everyone has a safe trip and racing at Daytona this weekend.

The forcast looks terrible, warm for sure but T storms Fri & Sat with rain on Sunday? Long way to go to not get much done, lets hope they get some track time in.

I’ll be watching the race monitor to see what shakes.

http://www.race-monitor.com/

I am working on something new for next fall, also have reserved dates for Grattan in April AND May 2019. This gives us the best opportunity for a full weekend of testing in the Spring.

Cool stuff coming, it will be April before you know it!!!!

Happy New Year Y’all

RPM

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Under a bit of a rain delay at Daytona here on Saturday… they got 4 races in then have been in a holding pattern since.

I spoke to JW at the Speedway, was most interested to hear if Jim Brannon actually drove the GSXR600 kart that JW brought down. John said he did… “It didn’t behave…”   So I’m guessing that it just got squirlly at speed. I’ll find out more tonight.

I can let the cat-out-of-the-bag and tell you I helped in selling brother Kenny’s refurbished track ready enduro kart this week. Chris West is the new owner of this kart, its an ARC PP that he will run on a pipe. Best part of this news, his primary use will be for Track Day action and turning lots of laps! I’ll put him on the top of the list for this Spring!! Welcome back Chris.

Spent the first 1/2 of the day helping brother Rich move-in a couple doors down. We are both looking forward to spreading out, getting our karts in our garages, and working out some details for the Spring. Can’t wait to start letting the sparks fly on the project karts, especially that 4 stroker…. someone is gonna have fun in that thing!

More soon!

RPM

Robert Lawson
    Participant

UPDATE: Results are Unofficial, last 4 races had been shortened.

There was a red flag during the F100/Yam S Hvy race group. They did get restarted and finished their shortened race.

JW set fast lap of the day in Unltd. at 1:54.712 on his 3rd of 10 laps. He held a 23 second lead early, it came down to 19, then finished at 21 over Brian Wilhelm (1:56.557) on his new 250 laydown package. A good number of SK drivers down there from what we saw on the RM and the phone videos on FB. Not sure how many were on twins like JW.

More from Daytona tomorrow.

PS: with 12 minutes to go in the last race group (5:29pm edt) its getting dark!!!!

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Again, unofficial results from Unltd Sunday:
    All race groups were shortened due to AM fog!

JW won again, lost his brakes/brake issue, best time was lap 1 of 10:  1:53.019 and was just able to hold off Brian Wilhelm by 1.184 (thats close!) who ran a best lap of 1:56.189 on lap 9 of 10….. so he must have been gaining the entire way with JW struggling. Good Job guys, glad to hear it was a safe weekend for all.

I’ll tell ya, that is an astounding feat. 1:53 in a sit uppity type kart like an Anderson is pretty darn impressive. Now that its over, I am looking forward to working on a project for JW this year for Daytona 2019 (GOD willing!) We will see, LOTS to do here now and still tripping over this post surgery recovery. I hurt it this week trying to do more than I should out there, thought I was gonna wet my pants it hurt so bad. At a month out, its still real sensitive and limited on R O M.

FORTUNATELY….. I can drive my kart with 1 hand!!!! Its THAT good!!!   :)

So, hope everyone has a safe trip home from Daytona and a safe and Happy New Year Celebration!!!

RPM

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Some updates from above:

1. Brother Kenny delivered the kart today, Chris is pretty excited about April!

2. JW made a transaction with Jim Brannon in Daytona for the GSXR kart, Jimmy is now the new owner of the 600. It just got uncontrollable at speed over any bumps in the track surface. JW and I agree, we should have added a bunch of wheelbase to that kart. With all that HP a standard SK legal set-up was just not going to work as a 250 does. I’m glad he found a home for it.

3. Got back out in the garage and started working on the Project Kart. Also it was a nice 48 deg day here so we got karts off loaded from trailer. Rich has his kart at home and mine is back in the garage too. (with antifreeze!) Plenty of room out there now to spray sparks without damaging anything!

Rehabin at home here, its going very well! Instead of 2 x per week at PT I’m doing resistance band training and pully streches at least 1 x per day and if I get sore or stiff I just take a day off. Range of Motion is getting better, slowly!

I’ll get some video up tomorrow. Its a New Year guys…. cant wait to get going!

RPM

Robert Lawson
    Participant

This is the train wreck of a video I shot this afternoon. Its a mess but all the things I have been working on are there….and its less than 9 minutes!

Take a look:

If you want to know how we extended the chassis to add wheelbase just visit the channel, the 2 videos from Saturday are right there.

Robert Lawson
    Participant

The April Test dates are in:

Saturday & Sunday April 13-14 2019 @ Grattan Raceway

The intention is to do the full weekend as we had planned last year. I’ll handle it the same way, anyone paying for the full weekend will be refunded the difference if we only do the 1 day.

Which single day will depend on the weather, obviously.

Plenty of time for details, but, both of the first 2 weekends in April were available. I chose the 2nd and will stay in contact with the Boys about any developments on the calendar.

These dates will get filled, the “tuner car” guys are now renting 3-4 times a year and seem to have the same dates in mind as we do. Their group is growing, when they first came out they had maybe 15 cars. (4-5 years ago) Last Mothers Day weekend they had about 50 and are breaking them into groups. They will soon be looking for full weekends as they offered to buy our Sunday last Spring!

Much much more to come, stay tuned!

RPM

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Been back out in the garage, this time mounting a rear auxilary radiator for testing in April.

I have also contacted MIS about doing a track day out there in the Fall. The idea is a pre Daytona test for those serious about finding a hot set up.

This would be an Oval Only Test. Anyone serious about contending at Daytona would find this a 1 of a kind opportunity regardless of class or kart type.

Me, I would like to see just how fast my lumberwagon will go!

Anyway, I have not heard back yet from the Speedway but I do know from a very reliable source that they will not restrict our access or format. Its not cheap, but with the right number of guys (and $$$!!!) anything is possible!

Be back soon,

RPM

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Watching the 24 @ Daytona here online and checking in during a commercial!

Just a heads up, karts will have an opportunity to get on the newly paved Waterford Hills Sports Car Course during Waterford Club – Car race weekends. Full details are coming but it looks like 6 weekends this Season, full weekend program mixed in with all types of race cars.

I’ll provide all the details and contact info when I get it. Will make a great testing opportunity as well.

RPM

Robert Lawson
    Participant

My Bro is heading out to Waterford Hills for their meeting of the racing club this coming Wednesday. Info on what is to be offered to karts will be along shortly after. I believe the noise level is going to be an issue but we will see next week.

The subzero weather looks to be ending this weekend, here in the Detroit area it will be back into the upper 30’s Sunday & Monday. I’ll get back out in the garage tomorrow and start working on that intake box for the auxiliary rad. Still have to replace the fuel tank yet too. We’ll get a temp plastic tank on there for April just to get out and test.

More video coming, stay warm out there boys!!!!!

RPM

Robert Lawson
    Participant

More conversation needs to take place on the Waterford Hills program. That issue could go a couple different directions. “Racing” during a full car event program OR “Testing” with F500’s and Miata’s on various other dates. Both require a minimum # of karts to be feasible.

My Bro got into this as a proxy for a friend, now it looks like more work than it may be worth. I’ll keep posting what I hear up to the point I get a solid contact handling it.

Be back soon!!!

RPM

Robert Lawson
    Participant

It was cold out there today so my play time was short! Getting the kart ready for April – 1 project at a time!!!

I shot a quick video, it uploaded OK but is being delayed in the publishing process. I’ll post it when its done.

The past week has been very productive. Cleaned the joint up and consolidated much of the stuff in the Garage. Well overdue. Moved a bunch of things over to Rich’s place, we will do glass and paint in his Garage!!!! Found our old banner, it was a mess. Had been rolled up and sitting for 10-12 years with tire dust from the Indoor karting place on it. I finally got it looking respectable and hung it on the wall. Think we had that made in like 98′ for the Troy OH Winter swap meet, displayed all the bodywork in the stands at the Ice Rink!!! Good Times! Also found a bunch of framed pics, rolls of developed pics, plaques & trophies…. a bunch of junk! The Garage is getting to feel more like the old place now.

So, just a heads up, we have just 9 weeks until April 13-14 so start making plans. In a few weeks I’ll come to wake Y’all from yer slumber and start collecting!

Movies comin’

RPM

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  Robert Lawson.

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Some changes and a lil more progress:

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Back out there today and glued up the “skin” panels on the model. This isn’t the quickest form of Modeling but its dirt cheap. We have many Composite Supply Shops nearby with all the junk you can think of to use but its not at all cheap. And, we are making this “moldless” because its simply a test bit so its much much cheaper than a full blow model-mold-part production.

If you want to follow this (Part 3 video up now) or other stuff we’re doing just keep an eye on the YT channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/F125yourself

There are almost 200 videos on there, helmet cam… some tech/mech/fab, DIY stuff, Big Daddy even thumps you with some Scripture now and again! We have over a dozen different playlists of things to look at. Overdue for a “Garage Talk” clip with the Bro’s!!!! Soon, very soon!!!

I hope Y’all are working on yer stuff…. if not, come over and help me!!!

Be back tomorrow!!!

RPM

Robert Lawson
    Participant

No workie today, the weather is just a mess! Digging out melting ice….its WINTER!!!!

I did shoot Y’all a quick update though:

“….gimme a break, I’m on a roll!!!”

Robert Lawson
    Participant

I have also contacted MIS about doing a track day out there in the Fall. The idea is a pre Daytona test for those serious about finding a hot set up.

This would be an Oval Only Test. Anyone serious about contending at Daytona would find this a 1 of a kind opportunity regardless of class or kart type.”

The Speedway is currently looking into the dates I sent them. I have been corresponding with them this week, no issue has been brought up about running ONLY the Oval with karts.

Obviously nothing in stone yet but I don’t want to waste my time and theirs for nothing. So….

This may be a bucket list gig guys. Where else will you get the opportunity to run a Super Speedway without a road course?

It brings back fond childhood memories of the “Speed Runs” at Daytona back in the 70’s. I spoke with Bob Cole about this today, he has some memories of this long lost opportunity  as well. After practice day concluded you could pay a fee and run what ya brung, one kart at a time, and set an average speed (lap speed). My Pops got a Certificate from the Speedway “100 mph Club” as he ran 118 in a Margay C-Open owned by Gene Kurlonko. Geno had just run 112.5 (he was much bigger than my Pop’s) in the same kart and gave Pop’s some “pointers” on what not to do to go fast! No body work in those days, and they ran 100+ on Good Year Blue Streaks and Carlisle Super Slicks. That alone was nuts!

So think about it, I’ll update Y’all when I know more.

RPM

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Still no word back from MIS, not surprising, I was told they work a bit on the slow side out there…

I have been working on the kart though, among other things……

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Again, you can see all the installments of what we are up to at the YT channel:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU__d49WpYDlKa7VRiCL9Ww

Here is the final clip from today:

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Grattan Spring Test Update coming soon. I’ll have all the details begining of next week.

If you haven’t already, put a big red X on your Calendars April 13-14. I’m getting anxious with all the things we should have to try. Maxxis is working on a front tire for us, we should be testing that and some different config’s on rear tire/wheel combos too.

Stay tuned, business is about to pick up!

RPM

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Closed Private Kart Test – Grattan Raceway April 13 – 14 2019

Friday 4-12:
    Entry
    for Trailer drop off or Paddock/Garage entry and camping after 6pm. Gate closes for the night at 10pm unless you have made prior arrangements for late arrival.

Saturday 4-13:
    Gate opens at 7am. Only Drivers and Crew Members will be admitted inside the Track unless prior arrangements for non participants/spectators have been made. ALL others will watch from outside the Circuit, Management may require signing a Waiver to be on the Track grounds.

Drivers Meeting at 8am.  This is mandatory, do not arrive late to the Track. A required Track Prep List for each kart must be correctly filled out BY THE DRIVER of that kart before you can get on the track. It must be signed by an Official and a participant sticker will be issued. No sticker on kart, No kart on track.

Track is Green at 9am. We will run non stop until a kart is reported off Circuit by a Marshal. At that time a 15 minute clock will start, no one will have to sit for more than 15 min and upon going green if the first kart on track goes off we will always get at least 15 min of testing time before pick-up. Be aware, we may have 2 groups in the AM  for New or Young participants. We will take a Lunch break at 12:30. On Track activity ends at 5pm.

Sunday 4-14:
    Gate opens at 7am.
    Drivers Meeting 8am
    Track is Green at 9am

Lunch Break at 12:30pm
    On Track activity ends at 5pm

FEES:
    Single Day Driver Fee: $220
    Weekend Driver Fee: $320
    Jr Driver Fee: 1 day – $120, weekend – $200
    (if min Participation met, contact for details)

You must pre pay. Entry deadline is April 1st. (this is not a joke!)

Send check or Money Order payable to:
    Robert Lawson
    17731 Ivanhoe
    Roseville, MI. 48066 
    *Please include Driver name, number of Crew and kart class*

*** NOTES:
    > We will not stop Green running for the gate, BE ON TIME!
    > PayPal payments are pending at this time.
    > Pit & Paddock Pass Fees are pending at this time.
    (may be included in entry/or required by Spectators only)
    > Race Gas availability is pending at this time.
    > 2 day Participants are required to date & sign their Prep List each day.
    (this does NOT require a 2nd form, email of advance copy of form pending)
    > We will only accept Single day entries for Sunday after the Weekend
    Lease is secured.
    > Dinner will be provided Saturday Evening for all Drivers and Crew.
    > Camping is Free.
    > Garages are Free and open to First come.
    > Gate Closes Saturday Night at 11pm.
    > All participants to pit in Upper Paddock.
    > All times are tenitive and subject to weather and track conditions.
    > Entry is NON refundable, NON transferable and NON negotiable!
    > A single day Test may be necesarry if participation requires, a weekend
    entry would then be refunded the difference.

To inquire about late night arrival, format, scheduling or other questions send email here: f-125@hotmail.com

6 weeks Guys…. it will be April before you know it!

More soon,

RPM

Robert Lawson
    Participant

In speaking with Sam this week we talked about the latest rumors of a pending sale. I had heard yet again of some type of deal to sell the track.

He didn’t give me the same ole poo-poo story and play it off this time. He said there are multiple players at work trying to cut deals to buy them out. He went on to explain that the bookings this year are in stone and nothing will change, regardless of any sale taking place. IF it were to sell, they (the Family) would contractually stay on through a transition period.

It sure sounded to me, unlike ALL the other times I have asked him about a “sale” in the works, that they are ready to let the place go. He explained all the possibilities. The good news of a sale is it would surely lead to many upgrades that are long overdue. The bad news is that any change will obviously be reflected in the lease price.

An annual lessee would probably be given first refusal of any dates from new Management but anything can happen.

A newly revamped Grattan Raceway, at a much higher lease rate, may be attractive to a healthy Karting Org. Then again, agreeing to pay more may still put you on the outside looking in (VIR). Simply jacking up the entry fee without adding to the total number will not fly when Fee’s have not changed at places like M-O or Pitt Race with the same turn outs. Karters may be cheap…. but they aren’t stupid!

NO SALE HAS TAKEN PLACE, but……………………

I suggest you take advantage of all the track time available at Grattan THIS year.

More to come!

RPM

Jerry Revely
    Participant

Revely’s will be down for the two day weekend.

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Jerry,
    You would have needed a darn good reason to miss the Annual Family Reunion Bro!!!

Boys,

Punxsutawney Phil predicted an Early Spring! We have had a cold spell like Y’all but its ending here right quick. We will see low to mid 40’s this weekend and next. No, that’s not “karting” weather but all the ice and snow should be gone from the grounds out there. That’s a start. We will have just 2 weeks to put this all together…… or Cancel.

The New Year this time has been extremely quite, I am usually chasing stragglers by now but we got nothing going as of yet. No need to post info any earlier because I wasn’t getting any feedback.

I predict mid 60’s out there the 13-14, I just hope it is US whom are enjoying it and not another group!

RPM

Robert Lawson
    Participant

I have a date for an MIS Oval Test!

They are holding Sunday October 13 2019.

I might be looking at this as a kid looks at a new toy, but you just dont get opportunities like this very often. Very surprised how affordable this is for an ISC Speedway. Maybe because they don’t have to do any prep of an infield, placing barriers and such, or just that they will not need to open any walls (other than the crossover for entry). Who knows, but as details become more clear I’ll pass the info along. Now, the Insurance shopping takes place!

This much I can share:

*Oval ONLY!

*It will be an 8 hour day

*We will drive the karts to and from our pit in paddock

* I will provide a flat trailer/tow back

* Lunch is on me too

Man this would be huge fun, I sure hope we can pull it off!

More Soon!!!

RPM

Robert Lawson
    Participant

I’m starting to get some inquires and e-mails for Grattan so that is good.

We will get a plug next week on the Real Kart Racing Podcast with Greg Wright and TJ Holingsworth. Not sure just yet how or where to watch live but I can find out. Lets hope that helps!

Rain here last night removed all but some small bits of snow where it was piled up. Its in the 40’s today and I’m looking at a 62 deg forecast with rain for Thursday. Warming up but also must consider the ability of snow & rain water to find a place to go!

Just 3 weeks for a go/no-go  call to the Track. I have to give them time to book the date if We don’t get enough interest. Get that check or MO in the mail, I can always send it back guys!!!!

More to come!

RPM

Greg Wright
    Participant

Robert, I think the fall MIS thing just might have legs.

Greg Wright
    Rapid Racing Inc.
    Vintage B-Stock Pilot
    "When in doubt Gas it, It won't help but it ends the suspense."

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Glad you stopped in Greg, I was just going to post the link to your Podcast.

https://www.facebook.com/Real-Kart-Racing-Podcast-1630402147073940/

If you would, drop in or send TJ over and let us know when its live so we can participate. I spoke with TJ today and will be sending info for April and October for Y’all to share on the Show.  Yeah, the MIS thing is a real strong possibility. Still waiting on a few things but so far we are on the same page. Good sign!

Was back outside today planning the next bit of work to be done before testing/racing.

April is coming quick boys, just inside of 3 weeks now to the cut-off point.

“I’ll be baaaack” :)

RPM

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  Robert Lawson.

Robert Lawson
    Participant

In just about a week you will have to had put something in the USPS to get it to Detroit by the 1st.

Looking at the expected weather pattern I might be very close in calling for a daytime High in the 60’s. The overnight stuff looks to be a bummer though with lows in the 30’s still.

I get it, too cold for most….. I feel it too!  The weekend lease at this point is all but lost, any chance at a single day is quickly falling apart as well. Its all good boys, the few of you on board will have to join me in doing it the old fashioned way….. watching the weather for the first race weekend and making a call to go there!!!!!!

It has been a very strange off season. No interest in October, no motivation through the Winter, Spring bringing mild weather not enough to wake up & get going…… I’m gonna keep pluggin away at it here and maybe July wont be so hot this Summer! (then again, that would be a GOOD test for the aux rad!!!)

Talk to y’all next week.

RPM

Todd Stoffer
    Participant

Still have yet to rebuild my motor, but I’m in for a test day. Just let me know how much.

Jerry Revely
    Participant

Get the money to Robert. He works hard to put together these test days. He shouldn’t have to chase after people.

Thanks Robert for the work. Hopefully we can have enough people for a single day.

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Spoke to Sam, things are slow so he gave me another week to find enough drivers.

I have been scratching names off the list as payments came in this week. If everyone on this list sends an entry we will be able to do a Single day.

Saying that, I dont believe everyone that asked for details is going to send an entry, so, we need to find a few more guys just to cover my a$$. 2-3 over and above the list here would make me feel better thats for sure.

I have also contacted a few “Car” guys to see if they would be interested in testing if we get close but not quite there on $$$. This will be a last resort as we would then have to split the total time to give them a few runs.

Good news is we now have a choice between Sat or Sun if weather becomes an issue. Always nice to have a back up plan! Everything is in the mix right now, I’m doing the best I can with what I have to work with Y’all!

More to come!

RPM

Robert Lawson
    Participant

I’ve got some deflating news.

Nothing has really changed on the track day front, we still need every last one of the guys interested to pull it off. As stated above, I guess we’ll give it the rest of this week.

Bummer is, I’m out!

My leg started hurting again Friday/Saturday and it got much worse over the weekend. Doc said I have another clot, he put me right back on the Xarelto and said…. “I’m sorry, You may be on it for good.”

If we get enough $$$ to do the track day I’ll be there to run it for you, but I can not participate.

I’ll let Y’all know how this thing works out no later than Sunday AM (4-7-19)

RPM

Robert Lawson
    Participant

No sense dragging this on until Sunday.

I would already have informed Sam that we will be canceling if he had answered either of his phones!

So that’s it, we have officially canceled for April 13-14 2019.

I’ll get the few payments I have heading back to you Monday, in the mail.

Myself and 1 other guy, knowing we could not participate, had ponied up an entry so the rest of you could turn laps. This HAS happen in the past as well by a few other regulars. It takes a dedicated group of folks, cant remember the last time we didn’t have a Spring Test at Grattan scheduled….. Times they are a changin.

I will finish my kart and get it all back in one piece, wrapped up & packed up, ready to run in the chance sometime in the future I can drive it. If not, the plastic tanks will stay bright & clean forever!

Any questions shoot me a note. I’ll check back in, I have more details about the MIS gig later this year to work out and share yet.

Talk soon!

RPM

Robert Lawson
    Participant

I sent all the payments back today.

Dennis, sent your T-Stat back too! Give me a call when it arrives.

Feeling much better, the leg is pain free and the shoulder is about as good as its gonna get. No complaints! Doc has temporarily kept me out of the garage and away from saws, drillin, grindin, hammerin, etc. Basicly just keeping aware of my surroundings and not to do anything that could result in injury until I speak to the specialist in a couple weeks.

I’ve turned the corner, if I’m out for good then so be it but I’m not giving up on the chance to get in the kart again. We’ll see. Everything happens for a reason!!!!

RPM

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Everyone should have received their return payment by now, if not let me know. Todd told me to save my stamp on his, we’ll have to do a video with the Check Burning and the updates done to the kart in prep to test. The fuel tank set up turned out nice.

Back soon,

RPM

Robert Lawson
    Participant

As promised, I have finally got back out in the shop and shot a clip for Y’all.

I address a few points made by my good buddies and karting friends TJ & Greg from their online podcast/livestream karting talk show. Also, I think its “nice” that the Orgs & Clubs are making alliances to produce well attended events. With each continuing to hold to their own rules & classes its just the SOS with a different wrapper. Not more karts racing for the same award mind you, but more karts coming through the door, period. And the costs still go up! Hmmm…..

Next Video:

I will share my oppinion of what went wrong, ID the causes of these issues, and share an idea or 2 on how and where to look outside the box to help get the health of the sport/hobby going forward instead of backward.

I’d love to do this live and take calls!

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Playing around today and shot a quick clip.

Got a couple more days before I return to see the Doc and get the results of my blood work. I’m about bored to death and got the fingers crossed I will be able to test my updated cooling system sometime this year.

More soon

RPM

Mike Tracy
    Participant

Nice fittings.  :)

I use a little Permatex #2 on the fittings.  Teflon tape is good for fuel, but is meant for filling metal to metal gaps.  With the polypropylene tanks, you need something that will seal potential larger gaps.

Thumbs up for good news from the Docs!!!

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Thanks for the tip Mike!

Hope you had a chance to get on the track there at Gateway, I hear it rained all weekend?

Cher and I went to see the Hematologist and get the test results last Thursday. She doesn’t trust that I’ll tell her the truth of what the Dr. has to say…. so she goes right in the room with me. Of all those tests (30 or so vac tubes) everything came back good or normal, but 1, it was positive. Doc says they sometimes get a false positive for this specific test/problem (I cant even remember how to pronounce it) so he asked if I could come back in late July to give more blood and retest that positive again. But, during the Q&A when he decided to put off making the call for a short term or permanent Med program I asked “How ’bout EARLY July instead???” Cher rolled her eyes, and he looked at me strangely, then Cher blurted out “There is a RACE in July!!!” I go back July 2nd…. hee, hee!!!

Before that though, I go back to my Vascular D.O. June 3rd to have another Ultrasound and see how (if) the clot (both) is regressing. Knowing my D.O., I could probably talk him into letting me “adjust” my dose so I can race at Mid-Ohio, at worst Grattan. I mean, they’ll let me off it to get a Tooth yanked, have a Colonoscopy, or have my Gallbladder finally removed…. why NOT for some fun???

So, I really don’t know much more than I did a week ago about temp/permanent med program. But, there is still a chance of something shaking out this year yet! I told the Doc, “Maybe by December huh? If I have to sit out all Summer I want to go to Daytona!” Cherri is sayin’ Hell No, but the Doc was intrigued…. “You mean…” I said YES, the big Speedway!!!! He just smiled…. Now, if I can just get him to write a PRESCRIPTION to go to Daytona I’M IN!!!!!!   Poor Cherri, she has no idea who shes messin with. Or maybe she does!!!!

More soon

RPM

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Getting closer to finishing up all the mechanical changes.

Then the cosmetics, I’ll shoot a video spraying gelcoat and laying up a new Side Panel to extend the body.

Hope everyone is having a safe weekend at Nelson!

RPM

Robert Lawson
    Participant

My .02

Robert Lawson
    Participant

A bit more progress, getting closer to getting back behind the wheel!

More coming soon,

RPM

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Fresh Air tube finished, leak testing Tanks & Additional Rad:

Installing permanent front bumper too:

Getting ready to do my April testing in JULY!!!!

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Obviously I’m slowly (and very carefully) getting back into the swing of things. If you follow the videos I post new clips just about every day, sometimes a few per day. I have a bit to get done before Grattan, and, another trip to the Hematologist yet.

My Vascular Dr. said it was really up to me to occasionally take a 3 day sabbatical from the meds to drive the kart. But, the call to be on these meds forever is up to the Hematologist, he is the blood specialist. I’ll know either way right before Grattan.

I know and accept the risks of going on and off the med. Fortunately its not like PE or A-fib which could lead to stroke. My only risk is another clot, 3 days shouldn’t be enough time for that to happen. I won’t be doing more than 2-3 events per year anyway. A bit of a bummer though, I’m going to sell my CBR250R, THAT risk is just too high.

We play the cards we’re dealt folks…. I’m just gettin a bit creative with mine while I can!!!!!

RPM

Robert Lawson
    Participant

That bumper project is done now, I just have some std. maintenance to do to get ready for Grattan. Just a big test session for me, pricey for the amount of time but have to take what we can get at this point.

I’ll be heading to Mid-Ohio with Bro Kenny. No kart but it IS a project related trip. When I can share more I will, just want to be sure the bond is strong before speaking out of place.

Daytona. I know, I know… its June how can anyone be thinking about December already? Well, I am! The above project, and its partnership bonds, are related to Daytona and being successful there. So what does that have to do with Track Days? I’m glad you asked!!!!

I just spoke to Jennifer @MIS again this week about that Oval Only Test. The idea is to help Daytona bound Northern/Mid Westerners gain an advantage by offering a real simulation for testing. I’ve given thought to a “road course lane” on the very wide back straight. An area way down low where you could slow the kart enough to use its clutch (s) or gearbox.

If nothing else, its a chance to see how big your stones are. A Bucket List opportunity to drive your kart as fast as you can get it to go.

The date she originally gave me was Sunday Oct 13th, but, she also has the following Saturday open, the 19th. Maybe that can be used as a r**n date?

I’ll need at least 25 guys to do this for about $250 per man. Richard Petty has a line of guys waiting to spend that much to ride around on a speed limiter for 12 laps…. 4 laps at a time!

More yet…..

RPM

Robert Lawson
    Participant

I’m VERY pleased with the outcome of my meeting at Mid-Ohio. It was also super cool to see so many folks I have missed AND to meet the new folks I have only spoke to on the phone or internet.

It’s no secret now that I am working on a Modena Engine package for the project kart, with Daytona in mind. The secret WILL be that I’ll record every aspect of the build but will not upload & share it until the kart is finished AND unveiled…. GOD willing, at Daytona.

If testing goes well at Grattan next month I have a plan to remove the front radiator all together & build a rear mounted radiator only set-up on both karts.

Can’t wait to get started, one more round of blood testing next week and I can start making plans again.

RPM

Robert Lawson
    Participant

So, I gave the blood last Thursday and went to see the Doc today to find out whats up.

The previous positive result came back positive again. The issue is actually with my blood, an “Antiphospholipid Antibody” known as Lupis Coagulation. I will be on the meds long term. More tests in October then every 6 months after that, a reduction in dose is possible but this is not going to go away or get better. Well, the chances are not great.

He asked what my Vascular Dr had said back on June 1. I explained how we spoke about getting off and on the meds for Dental work, Surgery, possibly Karting, etc. We both agreed riding the Bike is now History, its just too damn dangerous out there. He is concerned about an accident in the kart and not being able to go right back to the med. He really wanted me to wait a bit longer, maybe Sept, but then he just listened to what I had to say and said OK for Grattan.

I’m gonna think about it a bit more, continue to go through the motions of prepping & loading, then make a decision by Sunday.

Maxxis is sending me tires to test since no one makes a 5″ bead tire for our fronts any longer. AND I bought 4 – 6″ bead wheels to disassemble and make 1 useable set since no one will make us a wheel that will clear our calipers!!!

I almost feel obligated to go!

GOOD NEWS IS: I lost 17 lbs!!!!! High Protein, low Carbs. I have done no exercise, have not been back to the gym since the clot issue back in April. Walking a bit is OK, walking a bunch is as bad as sitting for more than 2 hours at a time. Its a balancing act. I can feel when I do too much of either, so I take breaks. The compression socks make me look like a dork! The Athletic stores carry some cool looking stuff so I’ll have to go shopping…. maybe some neon orange to match my shoe laces. Its a Fashion Show out there boys!!!

More soon,

RPM

Robert Lawson
    Participant

I’m a little excited about Grattan… and beyond, when possible!

The Maxxis tires are not going to work. Gonna try some Hoosiers on these new wheels.

Got my transponder fixed up today. Did the battery replacement awhile back but didn’t secure them properly and had trouble once the kart got rolling. Shes good to go now, Steve at Battery Giant set me up.

Brother Rich is selling out. He has sold his kart to Tony Herpolshimer whom takes delivery at Grattan. Rich will do the engine break-in on Friday morning then hand it off to Tony and help him get acclimated to laying down. Its a great deal for Tony, he already has a CR Honda from his CIK kart that will act as a back up to the RS. He intends to race it this weekend!

Looking very much forward to his expression after his first laps. Only thing better than a guys first laps in a laydown is his first impression of the straight line speed compared to his CIK.

Tony is already asking about Daytona!!!

Back soon,

RPM

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Packin’ and Preparin’ for Grattan…..

Look what I found!!!!

Robert Lawson
    Participant

“All’s well that end’s well…..”

Or that’s what they say!

I come away from Grattan a bit confused and a bit relieved! The wheel work and tire test went well, very well. The cooling system mod also worked, so I went 2 for 2. The confusing bit was how I could so mildly stick the engine in practice, go for a high speed spin, find the damage almost non exesistant, all after I had run the engine hard at Gingerman last September! Oh I got it fixed and running right before the Green flag flew at race time, even found why it may have stuck to begin with…. but after just 12 or 15 minutes of running it may have lost the lower rod bearing. I wont know for sure until I get it apart but I have heard this noise 2 other times, the latest at MIS last August. Confused because I had at least another 5 hours of safe run time before reaching the rebuild window. Confused because all the data, just like the AM issue, looked safe or good.

I ran that VP gas. It smells like a damn Meth lab!!! Multiple people questioned the smell, although, others were running it or the same brand/blend. Who knows!

It was a great weekend though. Met a bunch of folks that look in here, at the YT channel, AND more guys that are interested in April testing that had no idea we did such things!!!

Not giving up on MIS this Fall but I guess myself and 3 others are the only guys silly enough to think its a good opportunity. We’ll see but they are not busting the door down over here for sure.

More to come, here is the race video from Saturday:

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Inspection results:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.