Home Forums General Karting Discussion Top Story on my Yahoo Feed right now – Karting

This topic contains 13 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Rob Kozakowski 5 years ago.

• Author

Roger Miller
    Participant

Jim White
    Participant

I saw it and immediatly read it too. I agree thats its not the kind of article karting needs to help it grow at the grass roots level. Gonna chase off more than it attracts.

Although you can always say any publicity is good publicity. Just ask Mylie Cyrus!!

Curtis Ruth
    Participant

Psycho dads at their finest.

russ Jolly
    Participant

Agreed with above its a shame that the article focuses on the extremes and the more negative ones.

Brian Degulis
    Participant

That article annoys me. It’s a complete miss representation of the sport. It’s almost as bad as that goofy movie. For every kid or adult that races at the top level there are thousands racing on a local level. They’re learning how to compete, the physics of driving and the mechanical side of a kart. Thanks to karting my kids know how a combustion engine works. They know how to handle tools and they know how important it is to take proper care of something and it’s done without spending a fortune.

For every psycho dad there are thousands of good dads that use karting as a learning tool and an opportunity to spend time with they’re kids doing something that they enjoy themselves.

For every kid that gets hurt in a kart there are millions of kids getting hurt on skate boards or school sports and all the other things kids do.

Just ounce I’d like to see an article or film that explains what this sport is really about.

Brian

Greg Wright
    Participant

But nevertheless, it’s just another article on karting repeating a theme that EVERY outside media article, or PR release about kart racing seems to say over and over ad nauseum, and NO ONE, except maybe this site, seems interested in correcting: “Karting is a sport for kids”.

I have to agree whole heartedly with this statement. This is one of the biggest problems with karting in the current era at least in my opinion.

I’m not even convinced that this site is interested in correcting this misperception. More often than not the “Driver of the month” is a pre-adolescent or adolescent youngster with his eyes on the stars and head in the clouds.

The founding fathers of karting were certainly not kids nor did they intend for it to be a kids sport. As proof the first ever “Nationals” held in Azusa California had NO  junior classes, I would have to check but I think it was the 3rd running of the “Nationals” that finally offered a limited number of junior classes.

When I first got involved with kart racing it was very common for a Junior driver in concert with his or her parents LIED about their age so they could run Seniors which was where the action was. Now I find Junior drivers LIE about their age so they can continue to run Juniors. To me this points out a basic flaw in the management of our sport.

Before somebody jumps on my statements and says “Ol’ Greg doesn’t like Juniors” I want to correct them. I feel that the Junior classes are VERY important to serve as feeders to the Senior classes PERIOD. Not to be the stars of the sport, that is insulting to the Senior drivers who historically have been the mainstay of the sport.

Greg Wright
    Rapid Racing Inc.
    Vintage B-Stock Pilot
    "When in doubt Gas it, It won't help but it ends the suspense."

Chris Wheeler
    Participant

I would be telling you all a lie if I said I was shocked to see negative comments about the article…. It has become typical for people in karting who don’t compete almost every week at the national level to complain about almost anything related to karting.  All I hear is “this isn’t good media for karting” and all I see is people talking about it and not being about it. Stop complaining and start acting….

Onto the article now… For those of you who don’t agree with the print… Wake up. It is all pretty damn real. The speeds, the parents, and definitely the money.  When new people get into the sport one of the following things happens… 1. They get lied to about how serious it really is, which leads them feeling as if they are ok over there own heads and leaving to return to stick and ball sports that normal families can handle.

2. They get ripped off by someone who fills them with hopes and dreams only be be extremely let down (sound familiar America?) .

3. They fall in love with this great sport and gain great friends and enjoy it until they run out of money or the kids decide to do something else in life

Maybe it’s time to start seeing the facts of the sport and build off the good stuff and stop taking part in the bad.

As for the writer… He managed to make it as far as a test seat for McLaren F1 only to lose to his then teammate Lewis Hamilton.  Managed a couple wins at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (I think the only person to win on the oval and road course) so I think he knows the realities of the sport and the commitment it takes.

Owner - Wheeler Motorsports : @WheelerMtrsprts on Twitter -
    Promoter - U.S. Open of Dirt : @US_Open_Dirt on twitter -
    Owner - United States Rally Kart Association : @RallyKartUSA on Twitter

Greg Wright
    Participant

Yo Chris, I’m not exactly sure where you are going with your statement.

Are we somehow going to find new blood for the sport by scaring them with the high cost, high risk sort of articles like the one in question?

Greg Wright
    Rapid Racing Inc.
    Vintage B-Stock Pilot

Joshua Guiher
    Participant

It amazes me how different people get different things out of the same article. As a part-time blogger/writer, I don’t see why people get mad at the truth. It is called reporting; not a fluff piece written by the WKA or USPKS or whoever to attract new karters.

As Chris pointed out, the truth is the sport is expensive, political and to some degree dangerous. At the same time, there are plenty of articles written every year about the dangers of football, baseball and soccer, the costs to play on travel teams and at private academies. This one just happened to focus on karting, and was written by someone with an inside view.

russ Jolly
    Participant

Im sorry but you dont need 30K + to run at the top of a series. You dont have to join a team, you dont have to have the motor coach of the year. That article is a bad example of karting’s grass roots. What the author highlighted was the top teir people with 1000s of $ to throw at something and willing to accept the loss, not the majority of people that race to have fun, or keep their skills up. Clearly there was a shock agenda in that article thus making it a poor article.

Brian Degulis
    Participant

X2 That article represents around 5% of karters and ignores the other 95%

Brian

Greg Wright
    Participant

+several Brian. Although I think you are being generous, I’m more inclined to believe that the article focused on no more than 1 or 2% of kart racers.

That’s been a serious problem with the sport in the modern era, coddle and publicize the top 2% and leave the rest to their own devices.

Greg Wright
    Rapid Racing Inc.
    Vintage B-Stock Pilot

Rob Kozakowski
    Participant

I wouldn’t call it a “poor” article.  If anything, it was a good article given the subject matter at hand – which was that particular family’s experience.

Just because, like many, I’m a relative “have-not” in the karting world, doesn’t mean that all of karting is about us “have-nots”.  And there’s no reason to pretend the big bucks and higher levels don’t exist for those that want to choose that path – that would be just as stupid as reporting that karting is all about club-level clone racing.

One thing I love about the sport is the diversity in backgrounds that you’ll find, especially at the club level, where you’ll have guys like me hauling their kart on top of an ugly old freebie utility trailer, and I’m racing against guys with massive haulers.

But face it, to run at the top levels, you’d better bring some money or some ridiculous level of talent and salesmanship ability to convince someone else to spend their money on you or to reduce your costs.

No, you might not need $30K to win at the top levels, but I doubt there are many at that level spending less than that.  Even back in the early-90’s, we had competitors who we used to run neck-and-neck with who told it to our faces that they protested us on occasion because they were spending more than that $30K /year figure to run on a Regional level, and they would do whatever it took to win.  Sure, it’s a small percentage, but it does exist.

Charles Skowron
    Participant

No, it wasn’t a very nice representation at all.  Focused a lot on the risks of the sport, made particular reference to a fatal crash that happened three years ago, exaggerated some aspects (a Cadet Kart can go 70 mph?).

Sad thing is, apart from the exaggerations and embelishments above, is that the other sobering details from that article are actually true? I’ve never heard of a kid being literally belted by their dad after a bad result, but I’ve heard of plenty of cases of over-ambitious, psycho parents going nuts at the track if things don’t go the way they hoped.  Six-figure annual karting budgets? Yes. Select, ultra-expensive “works motors” Yup. 1/2 million dollar trailer-motorhome packages?  Those too.

And you can’t discredit the writer as being a hack with no knowlege of the sport. Alex Lloyd? Didn’t he race in Indycar recently? If it is that Alex Lloyd, then I would imagine he is familiar with the high-costs, irascible behaviors, and other negative aspects karting sometimes produces. Problem is, there’s not a hint in the article that you don’t need to spend $300,000, or even $30,000, to race a go-kart. More importantly, the fact that you don’t have to be 8 years old with career aspirations to race in F1 or NASCAR, to race a kart either.

Which is what I dislike the most about this story, I understand this is a human interest story and was never meant to be an “Intro into Karting” piece. But nevertheless, it’s just another article on karting repeating a theme that EVERY outside media article, or PR release about kart racing seems to say over and over ad nauseum, and NO ONE, except maybe this site, seems interested in correcting:  “Karting is a sport for kids”.

———————-

C. Skowron

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.