Home Forums Tech Talk Top Kart Master Cylinder

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  John Matthews 5 years ago.

• Author

Dan Breuer
    Participant

Does anyone have any experience with the master cylinder on a Top Kart? The system seems to have a reservoir that does not connect to the bore in the cylinder (although there are two partial ‘drill’ marks at the bottom). My first thought was that it was just missed when they machined it, but after looking at another kart it has the same thing.

John Matthews
    Participant

Hi Danny,

I can assure you that the reservoir does connect with the bore, otherwise there would be no brake fluid for the pistons to act on. Those Italians are clever but not that clever ;)

What probably happened, if you’re looking at an older brake system, is that moisture got into it and has oxidized the passages. If you see a bunch of white stuff in there it’s aluminum oxide. Older brake systems can be rebuilt but often it’s more effective in the long run to replace the components with new.

Also, are you using a brake bleeder or are you just trying to pour fluid into the screw on top? If you’re not familiar with these systems they can seem pretty foreign compared to automotive brakes but they really are simple. If you can find someone locally that’s been through a rebuild to help you that might be your best bet. Otherwise, if you’re trying to get brakes working on an older kart I’d suggest planning on going through everything as once the master gets corroded so will everything else.

Cheers,

John

Dan Breuer
    Participant

Thanks for the reply John, but it is a new kart and the reservoir does not have any fluid in it. When I looked at another kart, same thing (the ‘reservoir cover’ has two screws to hold it down). The only difference was that on the other gentlemens kart it does have a rubber seal while mine did not (still no fluid in the reservoir). I did get the brakes to bleed out fine (through the allen headed port), just thought it would be easier if it actually had the reservoir working.

Dan

Brian Degulis
    Participant

If the reservoir is not connected to the system how did you add fluid for bleeding?

Brian

Dan Breuer
    Participant

It has a port with an allen plug just behind the ‘cap’.

Brian Degulis
    Participant

That is the reservoir. The top piece (cap) should have a bellows in it to allow for expansion and contraction.

Brian

Dan Breuer
    Participant

No bellows, no fluid (except it was filled before we figured out it did not connect to anything), almost like it is there for a different brake caliper set up. I’ll just leave it empty and go on.

Thanks,

Dan

John Matthews
    Participant

Hi Danny,

Not to be a smart A$$ but if it’s a new kart why not contact the importer????

Contact Us

I’m sure they can answer your questions.

Cheers,

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.