Home Forums Tech Talk TM K9B running issue?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      andrew
      Participant

okay…im relatively new to karting and i am having issues. i run a K9B  and dellorto vhsh3o. everytime i turn left its like the engine just shuts off. about 5-7 seconds after i straighten out it will spit and sputter and then go again. i cant hit the gas more than about an inch or so and then same thing feeling like the engine shuts off. if i only hit the gas maybe a 1/2 inch it seems okay. i also have fuel running out of the airbox side of the carb down into the airbox when it sits still. prob a couple teaspoons at least. i cant figure out where its coming from or why. i have pulled the carb apart and everything seems fine to me. floats move freely, jets seem ok, i cleaned the internal filter. if im turning right it doesnt die but i still cant hit the gas more than about a half inch or it just seems like someone cut the ignition off. i had tom barth do the jetting for me so i dont think thats the issue but im getting frustrated and nothing i seem to do is helping. when its up on the stand it revs and runs perfectly fine, but as soon as i put it on the ground and drive it it acts up. it seems like its flooding out but no matter how much i lean it out it still pours fuel out into the airbox? O SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME…IM AT MY WITS END   #extrafrustrated

Greg Wright
      Participant

Tom Barth in three, two, one…..

Greg Wright
      Rapid Racing Inc.
      Vintage B-Stock Pilot
      "When in doubt Gas it, It won't help but it ends the suspense."

Steen Carstensen
      Participant

I have a question for you, did you clean the carburetor with carb cleaner without removing the needle valve, if you did, you ruined the seal on the tip of the needle and that would cause you having gas in the air box. Check that first and get back to us.

andrew
      Participant

i did indeed use carb cleaner on it…cant remember if i removed the needle or not so im going to assume i didnt. ill replace the that seal and give er a shot and hopefully that does the trick. thanks much. what about the turning left issue? would that cause that as well?

andrew
      Participant

Greg Wright wrote:
      Tom Barth in three, two, one…..

gotta admit this made me chuckle a bit ;-)

Steen Carstensen
      Participant

Only replace it if it is faulty. Take it out and have a good look at the needle under a magnifying glass, look for a ring around the rubber seal area or any other irregularity, also check the seat of cause. Make sure the small fibre washer is in place under the seat when you screw it back into the carb body.

andrew
      Participant

Steen Carstensen wrote:
      Only replace it if it is faulty. Take it out and have a good look at the needle under a magnifying glass, look for a ring around the rubber seal area or any other irregularity, also check the seat of cause. Make sure the small fibre washer is in place under the seat when you screw it back into the carb body.

thnx much ill give er a look and hope for the best :-)

Thomas Barth
      Participant

Andrew,

Had a customer with the same problem. I believe he solved it by checking the float arm and pivot pin. I’ll check with him and let you know.

andrew
      Participant

Thomas Barth wrote:
      Andrew, Had a customer with the same problem. I believe he solved it by checking the float arm and pivot pin. I’ll check with him and let you know.

floats seem to move freely…pivot pin seems ok and in place…doesnt feel like its sticking at any point…i dont see any holes in the floats so i dont think they would be taking in fuel and not floating properly…the fuel will just continue to syphon out through the airbox side of the carb til it drains the fuel tank if i let it go long enough, i have to pinch off the fuel line to get it to stop. ive tried all 4 needle settings with the c clip. not sure what else to check at this point

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.