Home Forums Road Racing Tires, can't find Dunlop SL4's

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Robert Lawson 4 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

larry bishov
    Participant

Is there a suitable substitute for Dunlop SL4’s? I’m running in Yamaha Sportsman and it seems all of the kart shops I’ve contacted are out of them.

Bryan Norman
    Participant

Have you contacted Russell Karting?

You might look into trying the Hoosier R60, I honestly don’t know how they actually compare to SL4.  I’m seen a lot of guys run them in sportsman and have great success.

When it's raining I'm drinking!

Hoosier Tire Dealer

larry bishov
    Participant

Thanks!

Kyle Kuntze
    Participant

You also may want to look into the Bridgestone “C” compounds. We ran the YHC and YKC with success in this class and the YLC is a very good tire as well.

Bruce Peck
    Participant

Definitely Hoosier R60 compound.  Lots of guys have switched and haven’t looked back.  They’re consistent and last forever.

David McDowell
    Participant

Bruce,

We switched to Hoosiers this year and have found that they are very inconstant over their life and heat cycles and that it is hard to get more than one day out of them. This is for 125 Stock Moto.

My question is what are you class are you racing and around what tire pressures are you running? We have tried everything from 10-10 to 13-15. With limited results.

Thanks,

DJM

Bruce Peck
    Participant

We’re talking about 100cc laydowns and the 36″ wide sprinters (Animal and 2-cycle sprint – 100cc).  The OP was asking about Yamaha Sportsman.  R60 compound works great on those – 10-12 lbs.  On some weekends I’ve run some of Friday practice, race Sat, race Sun and still have center lines on some of the tires.   I’ve given some of my take-offs to budget racers who’ve used them for another weekend.  Don’t know about your shifters.  Have you discussed your application with Adam Batton at Hoosier?  abatton@hoosiertire.com 574-784-3152

Kelly Read
      Participant

On a road race sprinter, when we ran it we ran Bridgestones 10/4.5/5 YKC or YLB with Firestone 11/5.0/6 YLH and ran up front and had NO issues.  I know racers who run a sprinter now use Bridgestone 10/4.5/5 YLC or YLB on the front and the Firestone 11/5.0/6 YLH on the rear. NO issues.

On laydowns (Piston Port), we  run Firestone 11/5.0/6 YLH all around.  Brad is going to test his controlled with the 11/5.0/5 YLH all around at MPH next weekend at MPH. He has only ran controlled once and he had the 11/5.0/6 YLH on the front and the 11/5.5/6 RH2 on the back. He thinks the 5.0 YLH will work but we will see. He is hoping a 1/2 in width along with a different tire/compound won’t hurt.

We like these tires do to we can normally run 1 set the entire weekend (practice and 2 races).

We have ran Dunlops & Maxxis and they were OK but we just like what we use today.

EVERYONE has there own thoughts, recommendations, favorite, etc., we just like this tire!!! Until we don’t run up front or these tires are no longer available, this is what we will use.

BOTTOM line: Use what best suits YOU!!!

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Has anyone contacted Jim Russell about future availability of Dunlops in ANY compound???? Seems to be a shortage of all types.

I’m sure Hoosier makes a fine tire, I’ve actually purchased 5″ and 6″ tire sets from them but had problems and could not use them.

Jim, can you help us out here????

Thanks,

RPM

Kelly Read
      Participant

I was told Russells expects next batch of tires the end of summer which I’m guessing in September?????

I know CKI had some 5.5/11/6 RH2 tires as I bought some a few weeks back.

Brad ran the Firestone 11/5.0/6 YLH tires all around on his CKI laydown with a controlled motor at MPH this past weekend. This track is not the easiest on tires so it was a good time to experiment. He didn’t finish the entire 45 minute races but, he started the weekend with USED (1 weekend already on tires) tires all around. With 2 days of practice and 2 races, he probably ran 1+ hours on them and all looked good at the end of the day. He was fast but when you don’t take the checkered, who cares!!!!

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Kelly,

The infield at MIS gets very little use each year. The “cream” has not yet been knocked of it and there really is no abrasion to it. SL4’s don’t work, DDM or DEM’s also were no better. I would like to get my hands on some DDS or DES compound 5.50 5″ tires but they just don’t exist in any inventory!

Not knocking Jim, I know how the shipping game works from dealing with Maxxis. A boat load of tires doesn’t help anyone when Summer is over!

I hate having to settle for whatever IS in stock. Can’t gain anything if you have to deal with the same tires.

Bummer.

RPM

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.