Home Forums Road Racing Thunderhill question

This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Chris Hegar 3 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Chris Hegar
    Participant

What’s the new track like as far as run off goes? Is it a very technical track like ORP or about medium like the old T Hill layout?

What Cali track would you consider having the best off track areas. For me I felt very safe on the old T Hill circuit then Buttonwillow then Laguna then Infenion.

I’m thinking about taking my fresh out of Jr’s driver but I do not want to tear up equipment if possible since it’s my car or was my car.

John Benson
    Participant

T hill west is a great little track, smooth and fun, but not as fast or technical ( or as much pucker factor )as ORP . There is the pit wall coming off the last turn kinda like the Ridge but slower. The one place I went off ,there was a big ditch you had to jump to get back on the track. One of my fellow competitors told me the secret to this is to STAY ON THE F+++ING TRACK!! ( thanks Jim ) :)

Greg Lindahl
    Participant

T’hill West is huge fun. There are challenging corners with two heavy braking points where your newbies can learn a great deal.  Late apex’s abound, teaching patience.

Ray Chiappe
    Participant

T-West has already been modified with a new config to bypass the really tight stuff is what I have been told. Should be a lot faster now?

Jim White
    Participant

Chris if your kid can get around ORP he can get around anywhere. The new West track has ample run off. Not much to hit. It’s kind of a small ORP in some ways. It has 3 pretty tight (for a road course) corners at the end of the lap. The cool part of them is there is a rising bending fast corner between the first two.

The bypass I’m sure was created to try to make the car racers happy. It eliminates the 3 tight corners. and ties in to make the front straight longer. It will make the avg speed faster but take away some of the technicalities of the original course.

Either way it’s a great kart track. I’m looking at putting together a practice day on it at the end of the month. Unfortunately it will be a weekday but the turnout last time was pretty good.

Larry Stevens
    Participant

The new and old Thunderhill West track configurations are on the Thunderhill Raceway website now, both are going to be fun! Clutch karts wont need to worry about overheating as much on the higher speed new configuration. Get your setup for the NCK October 31st race when Jim schedules the practice day at the end of September!        Let him know if your interested either here or on NCKs Facebook website!

Chris Hegar
    Participant

Thanks guys!

After his testing at ORP we think he’s good to go I just prefer the better runoff tracks since I have to explain things to his mother should anything happen. If we were talking about just me it wouldn’t matter, I’m expendable. I think we will keep him close to home through next season just to expand on his actual race craft vs trying to learn a track and deal with the other monkeys flying around him.

Infenion would be a perfect time to let him run but with minimal practice I don’t want him in over his head. If things continue to progress we may take a trip next year so tell your boys to tune up just in case the black cars unload.

Ray Chiappe
    Participant

Chris, I am kinda going through the same thing with my granddaughter now. I’m a nervous wreck when she is on a big track! She was on Buttonwillow for the first time last weekend and I had her following me in practice for about 10 laps!!

Jason Santander
    Participant

can someone clarify, the Oct 31 Thunderhill race is the new WEST track correct?

the drawing in the nck site says the original track,  which is it????

Birel CR32SR Complete roller $2k
    set of new tires on wheels, extra set wheels, freeline large & small rad, tons of freeline components

TWO CRS ICC motors complete- rebuilt $3k
    Custom Pit Cart

Larry Dobbs
    Participant

The original West track.

Chris Hegar
    Participant

So your running on the old track with the steep hill out front for this event?

Jim White
    Participant

This next race is on the “new” West track in its original configuration. We are not racing on the newly installed bypass. This next race is not on the original Thunderhill 3 mile East track.

I have organized an open practice day on the west track Tuesday Sept 29th from 9-4. We will be running the original west configuration in the morning and testing the new bypass section in the afternoon.

PM me for more info if interested.

Jim White
    Participant

I stand corrected. The race is on the new West track as stated. The configuration however is yet to be decided. I’m sure opinions from the practice day will help to make the decision.

Jason Santander
    Participant

bummer, i really miss the original 3mile track.

chris, im more and more thinking about gettign out of the sport. hardware sits fin the garage, run twice a year at the most. want to get into other toys, what u think? we gettin old?

Birel CR32SR Complete roller $2k
    set of new tires on wheels, extra set wheels, freeline large & small rad, tons of freeline components

TWO CRS ICC motors complete- rebuilt $3k
    Custom Pit Cart

Larry Dobbs
    Participant

We ran Thunderhill’s 3 mile track July 27th and we will be running it again next year; along with Laguna Seca, Sonoma, Buttonwillow and Willowsprings!  I have to disagree about only running twice a year and about getting old.  You and Chris are still pups!  Additionally, the Northwest offers some awesome opportunities to run as well:  The Ridge – Shelton, Oregon Raceway Park, and Portland International ( I will leave off tracks in Washington for now).

Can’t wait to see everyone this Tuesday September 29th at Thunderhill West, and again on October 31st.  Any track any day with the Northern California Karters is better than becoming an x-roadracer!

Chris Hegar
    Participant

I can see that for a bit we (Hegar) will be limited to close events due to kids sports but soon that will slow and we will aim again towards more road events kid included. I think PKA is letting go of ORP and possibly PIR soon due to rising costs so we will definitely be doing your events which I prefer anyway due to the tracks offered. Having taken a season off myself I’m starting to gather more interest in it so were looking for another car that I can call my own since mine was overtaken by my offspring. Probably have 3 of us in stock Honda headed your way soon so practice up guys, as a wise man once said “I ain’t as good as I once was but I’m as good once as I ever was”   ;-)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.