Home Forums General Karting Discussion The de-evolution of prestige in karting

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Greg Wright
      Participant

David Cole, Fabulous column and so very true. I’ve got a few cheese cows, Eagles and Daytona cups that I’m very, very proud of. They still mean a lot to me. It’s not the same anymore and that’s a shame.

Nice job!!

Greg Wright
      Rapid Racing Inc.
      Vintage B-Stock Pilot
      "When in doubt Gas it, It won't help but it ends the suspense."

David Cole
      Keymaster

Thanks Greg. The Duffy and Eagle prestige seems to be diluted and I would love to see the value and honor of winning these trophies rise up again – if not new trophies. Right now, the RIGP Rock is what I want to win the most right now, but I sure wouldn’t mind earning a hard fought Duffy.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor

Bob Vehring
      Participant

I agree with Greg, very good David
      I think sometimes people do not get the point behind some of my posts, currently those about WKA. I think now more then ever we need one strong group driving our sport. I think most of the newer groups are too narrowly focussed, but I don’t see WKA now as having the leadership it did years ago. So where is this going to be in a year? I can tell from what happened to some of the once great tracks around here and are now gone or close to it. Once the numbers drop to a certain point, it becomes very hard to save. I don’t want to see that happen.

I guess my point here to what David is asking is I know during the RA years and also for club champions, Badger trophy biles were tens of thousands of dollars. With so many different classes, it takes entries to get those really great trophies.
      David, is there a way to post pictures on here?

Greg Wright
      Participant

David, Yeah the only thing I have missing is a Rock and a Duffy. Regarding the Duffy I finished 2nd a hand full of times but never closed the deal.

Greg Wright
      Rapid Racing Inc.
      Vintage B-Stock Pilot

Ray Weisberg
      Participant

David,

Just read the article (behind as usual) GREAT!

Started Karting late 70’s.

Just to be able to run with the likes of Dismore, Pruitt, Haddock, Gifford, Nelson, Nields, Burris, Hyman, Pittenger, Harper, Manning, Hunter, Henline, Hartman, O’hara,  just to name a few (sorry everybody I left out) was a honor in itself.

Just winning a race in those days was something special, let alone a National.

The best I ever did was a 5th  in a field of 55 at the ’79 Road Race Grand Nationals @ OMS.

A trophy that will collect dust forever.

I was told recently there were 140 National Champions a couple of years ago.

REALLY?

Needless to say, as you pointed out, Karting has become so diluted and fragmented, there really doesn’t seem to be a true path to a true national champ.

I’m not taking anything away from those who have achieved that, I’m just saying………………….

One National organization is what’s needed, as in AMA, FIM, SCCA, etc.

I’ve been away from it for awhile, but now back with my son racing S3.

We are back for the FUN! When it stops being that, we’re gone!

Thank you for the space and opportunity to write this.

Ray Weisberg
      Participant

Hey Greg,

Sorry, I forgot to include you in the “Fast Guy” list.

Greg Wright
      Participant

That’s OK Ray, I’ll get over it…………eventually I guess. LOL.

Greg Wright
      Rapid Racing Inc.
      Vintage B-Stock Pilot

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.