Home Forums TaG TAG – Leopard – Flex length tuning

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Samir Shah
      Participant

Hi.

Since I have 2 used Leopard engines, I also have used flex for the exhaust header. Both engines came with different length flex – 1 is 49mm, the other is 64mm.

I’ve read about people ‘tuning’ with the length of the flex. Can people share their experiences?

I’ll be running at 2 local tracks in the New York City vicinity – Englishtown, and OVRP – Oakland Valley. Both similar in length.

I’ll appreciate any education, theory, and suggestions about what length of flex to use at these tracks.

Thanks, Samir.

TJ Koyen

Short flex = more top/bottom end power
      Long flex = flattens the power curve out and lets the engine pull harder in the mid-range

Use short flex when you’re running on a track with a long straight or tight curves and you’re revving the engine hard.

Use a longer flex when the track is more flowing.

In Sr. we almost always use a short flex.

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
      Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
      www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
      www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

Samir Shah
      Participant

Thanks. I’ll have my son test both flex, and see if he can make out the difference. Since we’ll have a restricted header, it could be interesting.

On a related note, is the silicone sleeve over the flex needed? Can I use either nothing, or header wrap? I see exhaust gas leaking from that area, will it make a difference?

Thanks again.

TJ Koyen

The sleeve isn’t needed but it’ll help keep the back of your kart clean rather than covered in oil from the header.

It won’t make any difference.

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
      Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
      www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
      www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.