Home Forums Road Racing Tag engine for road racing

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Jack Cook
      Participant

Hello all;

After Willow Springs Disappointment with the Rotax EVO I took it off and bought a IAME X30 it is still in the box. I checked for drive sprockets they only show up to 12 tooth. Did I make another mistake buying this engine for road racing? Anyone know of bigger drive sprocket or is 12 and a real small axle sprocket enough for tracks like button willow and Sonoma enough.

David Cole
      Keymaster

Check out Comet Kart Sales as they show a 16T. That is the basic front sprocket for road racing with IAME.

I don’t know what the difference is between the Leopard Clutch and the X30 clutch. Haven’t worked with an X30 yet.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor

Clark Gaynor Sr.
      Participant

Ditto what David said.  Comet will certainly know what’s available.  Also check Russell, TS and/or FastTech.

Let us know how the X30 runs compared with the Leopards.  We’ll all need to know that in the next year or so.

Have a good one,

Clark Sr.

Jack Cook
      Participant

Thank you. Now I have to get a bung to install EGT in the X30 header and how far back do you put it. Do you braze or tig weld it in ?

Larry Stevens
        Participant

Hi Jack, Fastech has the 16t drive gears, I just picked one up a week ago. Tig the egt bung, and if your X30 came with a Tryton carb you have to do the exchange program to get the new tillotson carb and manifold. Contact the dealer you bought the x30 from or IAME West to do the exchange program. The Tryton carb is not legal to run in any of the karting organizations anymore! They want you to send the tryton carb the manifold and they will send you a new Tillotson carb and manifold with a carb kit for your trouble. The X30 is legal to run in NCK as per IKF rules and the Tag Heavy weight is 405lbs. Its not in the 2015 Rulebook yet but it is on the IKF website as an approved engine along with the X125. Hope to see you at the next race Jack as I knew you were not happy with that Rotax at Willowsprings!

Ray Chiappe
      Participant

Don’t think you gave the EVO enough time? I would take it to a Sprint track and see if you can get it running there. Jumping from engine to engine is a head ached in itself.

Larry Stevens
      Participant

Hi Ray, as far as I can see, the Rotax EVO is not on the approved Tag engine list for IKF. The X125 and the IAME X30 are on that list for Sprint and Roadracing, Tag Light and Tag Heavy classes. The X125 and the X30 are in the IKF 2015 rule book for Sprint racing and on the IKF website for Roadracing under section 300 at 375lbs for Tag Light and 405lbs for Tag Heavy. This is found under New Rules on the IKF Website The Rotax EVO has not been Homogilated. As far as I know any older Rotax engines that have any of the EVO updates are not approved either. Lets all play by the rules!

Jack Cook
      Participant

Put the X30 on and will break it in next weekend sprint racing. The Rotax is in a box up for sale. I will take it and have it checked and resealed with a new passport.  Thanks for everyone’s help at Willow Springs tring to get it going

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.