Home Forums General Karting Discussion SWITCHING FROM 6:00 TO 7:10 TIRES QUESTION

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  TJ Koyen 4 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

patrick j slattery
    Participant

We will be switching to this tire  in our Yamaha class.  Anyone have any suggestions as to what this might do to the handling and setup

Thanks

Pat

TJ Koyen

The back end will feel a bit more stable, but other than that, the change isn’t that different. When I moved from juniors to seniors in KPV, I won my last junior race and the first senior race, switching from the 6s to 7.10s. Not much difference in setup or driving style.

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
    Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
    www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
    www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

Jay Sinon
    Participant

We are also in the transition from 6″ to 7.10″ Did you notice that the 7.10″ as well as being wider were a little taller did you change the gear to compensate for the difference? Or is going from the can to the pipe enough to compensate for the tire size difference? We are still trying to wear out all of our old 6″ tires so I have not run the 7.10″ but I did measure a difference on a buddies kart.

TaG Sr.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

You’ll have to get 8″ wheels.

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Jay Sinon
    Participant

I have a set of MXP in the 180 for the 6″ and 210 for the 7.10″ and I know the tires are 11×6-5 and 11×7.10-5  so they shouldn’t be any taller but when I measured the circumference of the two sets the 7.10 were taller by about a inch is that not normal?  or do the tires have different heights? Both were measured with 12 PSI.

TaG Sr.

Jim Howe
    Participant

There are a couple of things to take into account when changing from 6.00 to 7.10s.

First, the kart will tighten up a little more and a little faster due to the wider rubber. I found that you almost certainly want to go as wide as possible in the back (just under the 55″ maximum allowed) to offset this. Maybe it was just my karts, but we typically were around 54″ with the 6.00s.

Second, the 7.10s typically have a greater circumference than the 6.00, which does affect gear. It’s not a dramatic change — maybe one or two teeth — but a change nonetheless.

I tend to agree with TJ in that there is no difference in driving style.

So, all in all, nothing major that one or two practice sessions at the start of the year won’t discover.

Brock Weiss
    Participant

So then why do the juniors run the 6 inches and the seniors run the 7.10 tires if there is not that much difference between the two? We are on 6 inches right now but will have to switch next year when we move to seniors but I always wanted to know why the two different sizes between the junior and senior divisions

Bob Spedding
    Participant

New to karting but We are in the same boat. The kart we bought have 6.0  and I am wanting to change to 7.10.   I  was wondering what size rims I need to use the 7.10 tires.  And is there a certain type? aluminum? Or magnesium?

Thanks,

Dan Schlosser
    Participant

210 or 212 mm wheels Bob.

What material really depends on class. TAG will be Magnesium, Yamaha could be either Magnesium or Spun Aluminum. Most don’t use Cast Aluminum with the exception of for rain.

Brock – they are changing the rule now because the US is really the last market to utilize the product. As a result less product needs stocked and the inventory cycles faster thus lessening the chance of customers getting “old” rubber.

TJ Koyen

The 7.10 tire responds to the heavier weight better. A TaG kart on 6.0 rears would be a bit of a handful.

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
    Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
    www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
    www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.