Home Forums General Karting Discussion Supernationals are on CBS Sports

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Curtis Cooksey
      Participant

2014 Supernationals are on CBS Sports tonight at 9pm eastern.

David Cole
      Keymaster

What does everyone think about the first episode?

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor

Jimmy McNeil
      Participant

Thought it was awesome, great seeing some of my pals on tv. Kudoes to Kutcher for pulling it off,  taking karting to the next level. Can’t wait to see the next episode.

TJ Koyen

Super sweet coverage, only shame was it was too short and I don’t think they used their time well. Showing 3-4 laps of a few classes wasn’t really giving the viewer time to get involved. Show an episode of one class’s full race-day and it would’ve been much easier to follow and more entertaining I think.

Great camera work, professional graphics and commentary though!

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
      Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
      www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
      www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

Bernie Lacotta
      Participant

I thought the coverage was fine. Karting is far from a great spectator sport and getting too involved with personalities is just drama. Leave that to Kart Life. Showing the in kart action was great as far as sparking interest.

Glenn L Riggs
      Participant

This was great, had to upgrade my cable but was worth it. Was cool to see the bumping and grinding going on would have liked to see a little more of the S1 as they say there is a long 25 laps then its white flag time, a few more laps would have made it a little more entertaining but was very pleased with how the first one was done. I am sure it will get better as it goes on. Thanks to all who helped get this going.

Ty Williams
      Participant

I thought it was awesome. Hats off to Tom for getting karting back on TV. All of us would have loved to see a little more action but baby steps first. Just seeing the sport we love on TV was good enough. My daughter is going to school and the kids are telling her that they are watching what Carter does. Very cool. The general public is finally seeing are sport again and it can only help our sport grow. To see our announcer on TV was just as cool. Awesome Job Rob. Can’t wait for the next airing.

Ty Williams

Thor Mauthe
      Participant

It got the sport out there in a positive light which is great to see. It’s good for the TV audience to see that this sport is out there. Great place to start from. A suggestion to draw the viewers, other then karters, in would be more detail. Info about areas such as speed of the karts and how the field for Super Sunday came together would be helpful. I think if people realizing that the kids are doing 60-70 mph and it only gets faster per class may help stimulate the public interest more. It looked a lot slower on TV then it really is, unfortunately. Can’t wait for the next episode!!!!!!

Rob Lewis
      Participant

Great to see another karting show on national TV and one that’s geared more towards the sport than the drama.  (Although both have their place and two shows is better than none….)

All of us have changes that we’d like to see, but we need to keep in mind that it’s more entertainment oriented than promotional for karting.  On one hand it’s cool to focus on the pro guys (Marco, Will, etc) because those are names the general public know, but it does kinda take away from the others.  But hopefully those hooks will pull in Joe Public.

Thought the speedo while showing the lap was cool.  The kart graphic didn’t look like anything I’ve ever seen (but kinda like a mini Indy car?).

Overall, I’m never going to complain about karting getting in front of the general public.  Hopefully, there’s enough time to let it mature and grab an audience and they learn from each race on what to cover.

Plus, it was cool to see my own kid (although it was a 2 second passing shot) on national TV……

-Rob

Rob Howden
      Keymaster

Thanks for all the input, guys. Keep it coming. I’m making notes and will take much of it into consideration when I handle the voiceover for the SpringNationals shows.

Focusing on just one class is tough, because then you have a whole faction that is being left out. That said, focusing on the Pro classes with longer segments is a option, with a highlight style segment for the other classes.

Growing the marketing partner support to afford 60-minute shows would be ideal, but that’s a hurdle the sport has faced since its inception. We need sponsors from outside the sport, so now, it’s about developing true value.

It’s all about baby steps, and producing a sustainable effort. We’re on TV now, and I intend to work hard t make sure we never leave.

Rob Howden - eKartingNews.com Publisher / Editor - @RobHowden

Anonymous
      Inactive

I enjoyed it.. Wanted to see more racing, but it was good. Very intense racing.. Liked the announcer … Cant wait to see more.

Jay Sinon
      Participant

I missed it. Does anyone know if it will be rerun and When and where?

TaG Sr.

Rob Howden
        Keymaster

The first installment of the SKUSA SuperNats coverage package is being shown again, twice, on Sunday, April 19 at 9:30 pm ET and 1:30 am ET. Check their site for broadcast times for upcoming shows:

http://www.cbssportsnetwork.com/schedule/cbssn

The Internet is full of lots of information if you take a minute to search for it. ;-) Although we’re always here to help out our readers.

Jim White
      Participant

Hey Jim,

Not sure if you know but the announcer is the post just above you :-)

Anonymous
        Inactive

Yep I know..LOL :)

Matt Dixon
      Participant

Just watched it. It was great. We as karters want to see more but John Q Public and average Joe have a very short attention span so the 30 mins shows are the best thing for the sport. 2 thumbs up.

94y

Chad Landers
      Participant

Is the episode available to stream or download anywhere?  I have friends at work who want to see this but don’t get the channel.

David Cole
      Keymaster

Getting word that it could be released on-demand today. Stay tuned…

Rob Howden
      Keymaster

The first show will be available on http://www.motortrendondemand.com/ this week at some point. We’ll post it here once it’s made available.

Bill Boxell
      Participant
      David Cole
      Keymaster

If you scroll down the bottom of the Motorsport section, you will find the ‘Other’ section. There you will find the Episode 1.

David Cole
      Keymaster

http://www.cbssportsnetwork.com/channel-finder

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.