Home Forums 2-Cycle Racing suggestions for carb/pipe for aircooled vortex rotary fa engine

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      shaun
      Participant

Thinking about picking up a old aircooled vortex rotary valve forumla a engine to play around with on a shifter kart chassis I have sitting around.

Any suggestions for a carb and pipe?

I’m also in the market for similar older air cooled formula a engines, rotary or reed. Any suggestions on what to keep an eye out for would be appreciated.

Taylor Young
      Participant

If you have a header already on the engine almost any pipe used for a tag engine will work. As far as the carb not sure since I’m not as familiar with the rotary style FA engines.  I think this forum you’ll find many people that could help you out with this question: http://www.karting1.co.uk/forum/

Mike Berg
      Participant

For a pipe the TAG pipes will work great or the original ICA/FA/FSA, as far as carbs ICA used 24mm purpose built carbs tillotson style.
      FYI-If you are looking for a ICAor FA type engine I have a Parilla TT37 rv and a PCR rv both 100cc and I have some 24mm ICA type carbs. I can offer the engines as is or completely rebuilt same for carbs.
      Mike Berg

Steve O’Hara
      Participant

Are you interested in a complete and virtually fresh Comer 100cc Rotary FA motor?

Here’s a photo… https://imageshack.com/i/n3dscn1256vj

The engine is very comparable to the Vortex 100 cc Rotary

Steve O’Hara

James McMahon
      Participant

You are looking for carbs that are the “HL” pattern. Typically they come in 24mm and 30mm venturis. 24mm being more common and easier to tune. A TAG carb will suffice, but a nice Ibea, baroni, Hubchen or tryton work nice. The carb that came with the Sonik TX125 (Vamec)  is not a bad one for the money at all and since that motor is basically obsolete you can probably pick up for buttons. TAG pipe will be fine too. Vortex ROK is probably best to a match.

Enjoy the simplicity of the setup. They are a hoot to drive. Simple, light and very nimble. Run between 8 and 10oz of castor oil/gal. No syth with an aircooled!! Leaded gas is kind to bearings and gives an extra layer of protection so use that if you can. Keep peak revs under 18,500 and you’ll get a long time out of it, assuming you are starting with good parts.

If you’re on facebook lookup the groups “Proper Karting” and “F100”, lots of 100cc cronies on there.

Motors wise, try and get anything that doesn’t have a bridge in the exhaust port. In other words, you want something with an oval port exhaust. Most of those motors will be 95 onwards, the exception being the rotax DSC which was 1993.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.