Home Forums Shifter Karts Stock Honda Clutch – Excessive Effort

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Dale Daugherty
      Participant

It takes way to much effort to pull the clutch lever on my 2010 Spirit SP32 (Birel chassis similar to a CR32, uses Freeline parts). This is a typical Birel clutch lever, where the cable comes through the steering wheel, and the lever “pushes” the housing as opposed to “pulling” the cable. I never knew it could be better until I tried the action on another stock Honda package (Intrepid chassis).

I think my clutch cable is more than likely the Swedetech unit, as it has the mid-cable barrel adjuster.

Honestly, this whole clutch cable assembly is like some sort of witchcraft. I just can’t wrap my mind on why it is so difficult to pull. I mean, when I pull the lever, you can hear the steering wheel creaking under the force of my palm. The other kart that I tried required two fingers and a light pull. It was buttery smooth. I have clutch envy now.

So finally, the question: Has anyone experienced this issue before? Is there any advantage/disadvantage to the Birel cable setup, where the housing is being pushed instead of the cable being pulled? I don’t think it is the clutch itself, but I could be wrong. I feel like it is a cable issue, but I don’t think the routing is any different than anyone else’s.

I can add some pictures later, but I thought I would let the brainstorming begin.

2010 Spirit [Birel] SP32 // SRS CR125 - Stock Honda [#08]
      Hill Country Kart Club - New Braunfels, Texas - http://daledaugherty.wordpress.com/

Alan Sheidler
      Participant

The real issue is that the setup you describe was designed for an ICC clutch.  Funky even then, IMO.

And I show the only proper way to do a Honda clutch.  See the discussion on the “Classic EKN site:  http://eknclassic.com/viewtopic.php?t=113994&highlight=

Sanford Mitz
      Participant

I’ve used the Birel setup on several shifter karts and it works fine.

Pull your cable out of the sleeve and make sure it is not unraveling or kinked internally.

I assume that the clutch assembly in your engine was put together correctly and make sure that there are no grooves warn in the clutch basket. Pull the basket apart and start from there. Also, make sure that the rod is in correctly and there is a ball in there under the actuator hat. Double check that the arm next to the stator is assembled properly. (Hard to get wrong, but who knows). Also make sure that the lever is not overtightened on the steering pivot. I’ve used this assembly on my Birel, KGB, and Merlin and it should work fine. No need to spend dollars or get overly creative.

Dale Daugherty
      Participant

Thank you both for the replies; I am going to spend some time this weekend taking a look at that cable, and having a peek at the clutch. I’ll share photos if I find anything that appears suspect.

Hill Country Kart Club - New Braunfels, Texas - http://daledaugherty.wordpress.com/

Mike D’Ambrogia
      Participant

> I am going to spend some time this weekend taking a look at that cable, and having a peek at the clutch.

what did you find?

Jordon Musser
      Participant

9/10 times it is the cable.  Pull the cable out of the housing, clean, lube with motor oil and re install. if that doesnt do it, replace the assembly (excessive wear and/or corrosion in the housing)

Dale Daugherty
      Participant

9/10 times it is the cable. Pull the cable out of the housing, clean, lube with motor oil and re install. if that doesnt do it, replace the assembly (excessive wear and/or corrosion in the housing)

Thank you, Jordon.

I got pretty busy this last weekend, but I did cut the zip ties and “relax” the cable a little bit, which made a difference for sure. I am going to take it apart and clean it up this weekend as you suggest; I think it would be a good idea just to do it regardless. I’ll also take the clutch cover off and have a look at the guts, just to be sure there’s nothing amiss in there. I don’t think there is really anything wrong with the clutch though. I used screwdriver to lift up on the clutch actuator lever (basically taking the cable out of play), and it felt pretty good.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I’ll update if I have an “a-ha! moment”, and find anything unexpected. I think the cable is the issue though.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.