Home Forums Chassis & Handling Starting Karting: Chassis Recommendation

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  TJ Koyen 4 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Arvind Baskar
    Participant

What is the best chassis to start with? I’m 15, and plan on doing TaG,and Rotax. I’ve looked at Top Kart, Birel, Tony Kart, Ikart, Margay, Praga, Arrow, and so forth. I’m leaning toward Margay, Top, Ikart, and Praga.

Brad Nyman
    Participant

It all depends one where you are located. It’s best to get on a chassis that has support in your area. There is no best chassis that is worth seconds a lap. Are some more suited to tracks and driving styles then others? That’s the real question. I’ve found that some chassis are way easier to drive and tune for me than others. But I have never seen a kart that was not workable into a race winning kart.

Force.One motorsports
    Gear up F-series racer

Arvind Baskar
      Participant

Could you tell me about the karts you found were easier to drive and tune? Do you have a link to driving styles and karts?

Thanks!

Brad Nyman
    Participant

In regards to driving style, its not something you just pick and say thats what you do in terms of style. it takes years to figure out how you like to drive and what suits you. certain karts are more responsive to certain styles than others. OTK karts for example reward a smoother and more precise driving style, but thats not to say they don’t work with a more aggressive style. In terms of the ikart’s my brother and i drive, it equates to different chassis setups to make the kart work properly. My brother is way smoother and calmer vs. i like to drive more of an old school way and flicking the kart into a corner under braking then aggressively turning into the corner and holding the wheel turned keeping the inside wheel up. Both my brother and I run almost identical times, it just means our chassis are set up differently to achieve the same goal.

All chassis can work with any driving style, it just takes work to tune each chassis to suit you and the way you drive.

Force.One motorsports
    Gear up F-series racer

TJ Koyen

You’re just starting so you haven’t developed a style of driving yet and you probably won’t be able to tell the difference between the handling or tuning of different chassis yet either.

As Brad said, just find your local kart shop and go with what they offer. That way you can coaching or tuning advice specific to you, and you’ll have spare parts and things available more readily.

Karts don’t win races, drivers do. You take any competent driver and put him in any kart, and he should be a capable of winning.

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
    Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
    www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
    www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.