Home Forums Road Racing Spec Fuel

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Kerry Yunck
      Participant

Spec Fuel in Road Racing just yes or no.

David Cole
      Keymaster

Yes, with limited oils approved.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor

Larry Stewart
      Participant

NO

Bruce Peck
      Participant

NO

Greg Wright
      Participant

NO

Greg Wright
      Rapid Racing Inc.
      Vintage B-Stock Pilot
      "When in doubt Gas it, It won't help but it ends the suspense."

Mark J Schoonover
      Participant

NO, NO, NO.

Brian Wilhelm
      Participant

NO

Gene Davis
      Participant

AKRA will be using the 110 track fuel as the baseline. The digatron meter will be set at -45 using that fuel. There will be no limits on how much oil a competitor can add to their fuel, it just needs to not register greater than 0. No spec oils at this time. Secondary tests may be done.

Gene

Kelly Read
        Participant

NO!!!!!

My biggest issue is that NOT ALL motors run like they should on 100+ octane.

Gene,

Isn’t there actually a LIMIT on how much oil you CAN put in the gas??  The more oil you add, the closer to 0 it gets correct??

patricia hechler
      Participant

NO.  I can’t tell you how much fuel we end up taking home and burning in the lawnmower.  Yet another added expense to racing, I’m afraid.  We can’t burn all that extra fuel in Friday practices… it just keeps adding up with each race of the season.

Kerry Yunck
      Participant

Gene is that a yes or no ?

Kelly Read
        Participant

Kerry,

Let me answer it for him. YES!!!!!

My point is that I DON’T want competitors thinking that it DOESN’T make any difference on how much oil you put into your gas.  As you add oil to the gas, the meter reading goes more positive.

That said, IF the competitor adds LEGAL oil and not get crazy on the amount then they should not have a issue with the -45. I would expect to see readings down in the single digits thou.

Nothing against a track fuel as a baseline but, Patricia hit it on the head. This is one reason I have always liked setting my meter off a KNOWN consistent baseline like Cyclohexane. Cyclo doesn’t change (by my experience) but fuels do (age, moisture, etc) let alone what oil and the amount I put in changes.

John Mulvihill
      Participant

Good thread.

I really want to get a clear  understanding, could the folks who answered “No” please give an explanation of why they don’t want a Spec fuel.

Thank you and much appreciated,

John

Larry Stewart
      Participant

I don’t want spec racing. Hate it. NO spec tire,no spec motor.no spec anything. That’s a big reason that I run unlimited. I don’t run a 2 stroke.

Gene Davis
      Participant

AKRA is not requiring spec fuel at this time. WKA uses spec fuel because Sunoco is a sponsor and pays WKA, as do the oil sponsors.

My point on oil is that in laydowns some people run 6 oz/gal some run up to 10 oz/gal. This gives you a choice of how much you can run. As far as the octane on other motors can’t answer that.

As far as am I for or against it. We won more races using Sunoco than VP C12. It is cheaper per gallon. I think we had less wear using C12 and Blendzall but what do I know. I am a banker.

One thing I agree on. Anytime you put the word spec on something the price just went up.

Kerry give me a call sometime would like to talk to you.

Gene

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.