Home Forums General Karting Discussion Some newb questions about tools

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  tony zambos 4 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Tahseen Ibrahim
    Participant

I have a Tag Sr. kart and I plan on getting out on track for the first time soon. I had some questions about some basic tools and things I will need.

1. For fuel and fuel/oil mixing, does anybody have any experience with the Accu Mix jug that lets you measure fuel and oil in the same jug and then mix it? I have a normal 5 gallon fuel jug from walmart and a funnel, so I guess all I would need is a jug to mix the oil and fuel in? Or would I be better off just getting a measuring cup like the Ratio-Rite?

2. If I was to buy a tire changing tool like the Tire Pryr, Righetti tool, etc. will I still need to buy a bead breaker? Or does the tire changing tool act as a bead breaker in itself?

3.  As for carb cleaner and brake cleaners, does it have to be kart specific, or can I just buy any kind from walmart or something? Anything specific traits I should look for?

4. Any other things I would besides the stuff listed above? I have a basic tool set along with t-handle hex keys. I also know I need to get a tire pressure gauge.

Thanks in advance.

Dave Holstein
    Participant

Also I just looked in the mirror after today’s second race of the season and would also suggest SUN BLOCK!

tony zambos
    Participant

Go with the suggestions above, for the short term. But some sunny, take the kart out into the driveway and give it a mock tear down. If you have a digital camera, take photos of how things are assembled. Make sure you have a tool for every nut and bolt. If this is a used kart, make sure that the hardware is all metric or SAE. Very frustrating when you’re thrashing in the pits and you’ve tried every tool and none of them fit.
    You’ll also need tools for the engine. If you’re running a rotax, there are a couple of large size sockets to work on the clutch. Can’t remember if there was anything special on a Leopard. Add a torque wrech and a diital caliber ($12 at Harbor Frieght)
    If you have any not or bolt that has safety running through it, you need safety wire and pliers.
    As the amount track days increase, so will the amount of tools you’ll be taking.
    And since no one else mentioned it, 100 MPH tape or duct tape.
    Have fun and enjoy racing.

LAD Specialties customer / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Dave Holstein
    Participant

I run 20:1 ratio in the class I’m in so it makes it easy, 2 16oz bottles of oil in 5 gallons for a perfect 20:1 so I’m kinda spoiled in that department.

Yes you will still need a bead breaker, in fact, depending on the brand of tires (and sometimes rims) all you need is a bead breaker, once the bead is broken the tire can be dismounted by hand, again depending on the brand.  My class runs Hoosier which are very easy to mount and unmount by hand, Bridgestone however is a major PITA.  But a tire tool can make life a little simpler.

Carb and brake cleaner is up to you, just choose a quality brand and you will be fine.

Get a good tire gauge, tire pressure is one of the most important tuning items there is, so a good 0 to 30 Psi gauge will be needed, in at least 1/2 psi increments is nice.

as with anything else you will find out by karting itself.

but a short list would be:

Zip ties

Dead blow hammer

Vise Grips

Files

Tin Snips

i could go on and on.

hope this helps some

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.