Home Forums General Karting Discussion So what are YOU doing to promote karting?

This topic contains 32 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  anthony mansfield 5 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Lawrence Doty
    Participant

This question is for the Drivers and crews. Not karting business owners.
    Karting pictures on your desk at work?
    Have you been known to turn any racing conversation into a conversation about karts?
    Do offer to help new people out getting started?
    Do you attend the local club meetings? (Are you on the board?)
    Do you volunteer at the local club?
    Do you donate used equipment to the club?(Old chassis that could be used for an Arrive-n-drive)
    Would you race 2 classes if they needed another kart?

What do you do?

Every little bit helps, maybe someone will read this and think “you know what, I could do that too!”

http://www.SMKA.org

Justin Martin
    Participant

Karting pictures on your desk at work? yes
    Have you been known to turn any racing conversation into a conversation about karts? I always at least try!
    Do offer to help new people out getting started? Yup, infact helping my wife’s friends husband at the moment
    Do you attend the local club meetings? (Are you on the board?) no, and no. hard to do when it is a for-profit track with no board
    Do you volunteer at the local club? even though it is a non-club ran (for profit) track, I still do my best to help clean the track for race karts while they are running rentals
    Would you race 2 classes if they needed another kart? I would race everything if they needed it :D

Evan Fraser
    Participant

Karting pictures on your desk at work? Yes
    Have you been known to turn any racing conversation into a conversation about karts? Yes, I try to do it less as it annoys people
    Do offer to help new people out getting started? Always
    Do you attend the local club meetings? (Are you on the board?) Yes, No
    Do you volunteer at the local club? Yes
    Do you donate used equipment to the club?(Old chassis that could be used for an Arrive-n-drive) A helmet, so far
    Would you race 2 classes if they needed another kart? If I could afford it

What do you do? I loan my Kart trailer to the club as a recovery trailer for larger events such as the Can-Am and IKF Gold Cup, it’s great for quick recoveries

Evan Fraser

#43 - Formula K FK01 / Briggs LO206

West Coast Kart Club

Carl Keese
    Participant

I keep a couple of karts extra just for people to try them. Also always inviting people to race.

CROSS
    Participant

Do not have a desk to put pictures on.

Karting comes up a lot in conversation, racing in various forms is a major topic of discussion with friends. We all race something.

Always willing to help and have tried to get others to come to the track with me.

Other things I do is make sure every day I am at the track I post at least one picture trying to catch the vibe at the track on facebook tagging the track I am at, the race organization, and other things in the picture. This has exposed it to many people and I now have others asking me about karting. Need to also get a instagram account going.

Local non-karting forums I post when some larger regional races in the area are coming up.

Rod Hawkins
    Participant

I have only been involved for a few months. I have a buddy that was thinking about getting into SCCA racing and took him out to let him drive our karts in hopes of converting him.

Plan on brining one of my dirt bike buddies out soon as well.

Spencer Uzri
    Participant

Talked to a co-worker who is also an F1 fan (big-time) about karting & the SIMA facility up in Sumas, showed him photos of my kart, etc. He got really psyched, went up there, drove some rentals, got to meet Michael Valiente, snapped some photos. He’s Jonesin’ for a shifter, but he & his GF signed up for some driving classes in the meantime.

That’s +2 converts to the dark side.

Broque Ward
    Participant

I bring up karting a lot to friends, I show them videos and now I have another kart(arrow kt100) and my arrow shifter and I invite friends to plan a day of it

I love karting..

also working on getting karting shows and races aired.. Gonna be a while for that though lots of work and networking

Brian Thomas
    Participant

We take our karts to car shows .

Evan Fraser
    Participant

Got a friend of mine to buy a Birel MX32 with a Leopard on it, took him to the track and let him out on it yesterday.  I think our TAG class may have a new entry.

Also showing my kart at a car show my sponsor puts on on Sunday.  I think for next year’s show I’m going to try to put up a media board with some good grid and action pictures.

Evan Fraser

#43 - Formula K FK01 / Briggs LO206

West Coast Kart Club

Brian Thomas
    Participant

We take our karts to car shows .

We also donated to getting the Adkins tracked reopened after being closed for years

http://adkinsracewaypark.weebly.com/index.html

This track has a high bank curve that  will be a blast to run .

paul a rees
    Participant

Racing /  Trying to bring non Karting Marketing Partners . Non Karting supporters will open up more people to the exposure  of karting, than just the traditional avenues of marketing .

Tim Pappas
    Participant

Rob Howden
    Keymaster

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/THE-MXA-WRECKING-CREWS-EVIL-TWIN-MOTOCROSS-ACTION-10316.aspx

This is badass, Tim. And you’re right, this is the kind of stuff we need to do to push the sport out in different directions. It’s not something that we can do internally, it’s an effort that needs to push to the outside. I’m working on a new article for Performance Racing Industry magazine right now, and that’s the kind of thing we need to do.

Thanks for the link.

Rob Howden - eKartingNews.com Publisher / Editor - @RobHowden

Ray Mcik
    Participant

This is what our club volunteers  did this weekend to promote out Club.

Today the OVKA is at the Lebanon Blues Festival in Lebanon, OH promoting Karting and our club! If you're looking for…

Posted by Ohio Valley Karting Association on Saturday, August 3, 2013

This was in Lebanon Ohio at the yearly Blue’s Festival , lots of food, cars, live music,  I believe they had over 20,000 people attend this one day show..We had a kid kart on the ground for the little kids to be able to sit in , thank you  goes out Jeff Stafford of Stafford’s Racing  for lending the club the kart.  We also have 32 inch TV setup with kart racing playing.

Russell Stevens
    Participant

This question is for the Drivers and crews. Not karting business owners.
    Have you been known to turn any racing conversation into a conversation about karts?
    Do you donate used equipment to the club?(Old chassis that could be used for an Arrive-n-drive)
    Would you race 2 classes if they needed another kart? What do you do? Every little bit helps, maybe someone will read this and think “you know what, I could do that too!” http://www.SMKA.org

<hr />

<div class=”bbp-reply-signature”>LOAD UP-n-SHOW UP! http://www.smka.org/</div>

Well I’m in my first year of karting. My son started in a gold plate local class, was allowed to move up to a local Sr. Sealed Class because of huge weight disadvantage  and skill, got kicked out because of a later decision based on insurance… Is now running a Methanol class based on his age, and doing well… except for the fact that the club isn’t regularly enforcing weights… I’m the VP and stand in race director who gets his sack kicked in by all the “Racer Dads” when the fast kids go to a WKA “away” race… I’d say for getting kicked around and the amount we’ve invested in my son trying to have a little fun we’ve done a lot. I can’t say that others would have a stomach for the amount of bullshit, but I do my part. You want to ask why the sport isn’t growing? I can answer that question. At the local level any competitive class thinks it’s a national race and want to kill each-other and anyone who says otherwise is told to “eff” off. It’s a sucky place having $15k behind a truck to show up to a local race… and have someone flip out and say the reason his son is smashing into the back of your son’s kart is because you have a power advantage… No black flags were called… I give up my day with my kid, and get others to help get him on the track… and racers have to balls to tell me I suck and my kid should quit racing as he is terrible. Again you want to know why this sport is failing? Mark me as a bitter Dad who can’t win. Keep in mind we are running for time on the Mychron, and he knows to follow the leader and learn when he catches the other racers… we are not trying to win, just trying to have fun.

We came into the karting world based on cost and friendly atmosphere /vs dirt track. When my son hits 16 and if he is still interested in racing we may switch. At least in dirt track you know everyone is cheating, and every relationship is adversarial. A lot less surprises when you have paid track crew, and everyone is your enemy up front.

Paul Lopez
    Participant

Karting pictures on your desk at work? Nope but occasionally on my computer background

Have you been known to turn any racing conversation into a conversation about karts? Every racing convo i bring up karting and how the best drivers in the world are great karters and use karting to train for racing cars.

Do you offer to help new people out getting started? Not only do i offer my suggestions to anyone i come in contact with in the sport, i offer three of my karts to friends and family to get them into the sport. Unfortunately my passion is way greater than anyone around me so i think i can get rather annoying when i ask 3 and 4 times over to join me lol

Do you attend the local club meetings? (Are you on the board?) I do not think they have one but i will check

Do you volunteer at the local club? I do not

Do you donate used equipment to the club?(Old chassis that could be used for an Arrive-n-drive) I do not

Would you race 2 classes if they needed another kart? The local drivers are much more financially healthy than me so i do not compete only practice. If it werent for dumpster tires i probably would have given up karting long ago. </span>

I also wanted to add that i am unsure why karting at my local club and in general is not very popular but there is an adequate turnout for practices and race days.  So i general its not overcrowded but also not anemic either.

Keeping the sport of kart driving fun and pure. Creator of Lo Speed Karting Team a cool non-competitive bunch of local people. Check out our site "LoSpeedKarting.weebly.com"

Andrew Pachon
    Participant

sending photos of my new to me kart to my brother and friends :)

My brother will be coming out to my first track day as he wants to get into kart racing too.  I am thinking I’ve got 3 friends that need a stint in the seat to seal the deal.

~Andy

James McMahon
    Participant

One, yes.

Usually, I mean thats where real racing happens :D

Yes, continuously

Nope.  Don’t even know if they have a board

Nope

I’ve donated tires and stuff.

If I can physically handle it and can afford it, of course.

What do you do?
    Built a clone kart to give my neighbours a sample of karting.
    Fair bit of FaceBook activity, video and other promotional-type stuff
    Interact and help people where I can on boards like this
    Volunteer a lot for the series I run (CES) ( 100hours logged in since March.)
    Working on building a website for karting
    I try to support the local tracks and kart business whenever I can in whatever way I can. This year I am skipping a regional CES race, and will instead race at my local track at the end of the year.

Keith Buffo
    Participant

Yes, and trophies I don’t want my wife to put in the basement. On the downside, I work at home, so nobody ever sees any of it.

I can turn any discussion into a karting discussion.

… and established racers to run better so they have fun and stick around.

If we had one, I would. Lacking that, I just harass the guys who own the club.

Yup.

I offer my kart up to anyone who wants to try it out. The old “your first taste is free” philosophy.

Need it or not, I usually do.

What do you do?
    I’m a marketing guy, so I do quite a bit of writing, design, web stuff, social media, video, photography and strategy with the club. On race days I help with the grid, work on people’s karts, and tear down the track… after the race, but sometimes during!

Keith Buffo
    Participant

Inspired by Jim’s though provoking survey http://smarturl.it/mylpgm here is an idea that I totally do not have the time to build myself…

An interactive library of actionable tips/best practices for racers – basically a karting Wiki – the key to its success would be organization…
    Category (e.g., Engines)
    General Subject (e.g., Rotax or Leopard)
    Specific Subject (e.g., Rotax/Carb or Rotax/Clutch)
    General Topic (e.g., Rotax/Carb/Jetting)
    Specific Topic Posts

The Specific Topic Posts are the meat of the thing… the books in the library. These are the individual posts made by users, both as questions or as volunteered tips/advice/step-by-step instruction (e.g., Rotax/Carb/Jetting/Reading Plugs). There would be functionality for comments/arguments. The comments could be “liked”, with the ones getting the most likes being shown first.

There would be tags that cross-link with other library entries, as well as more narrative content/front matter on the website. Ideally this tagging could be automated. However, there would need to be a curator to oversee everything.

Administration of General Subjects could be assigned to an expert who will reply to questions, create posts, and generally bring facts and insights. For someone like an engine builder, the highly visibility of this role, opportunity to prove expertise, and direct contact with a self-vetted audience of active buyers would have real monetary value if traffic was good. This could/should provide a solid revenue stream to sustain the website in addition to display ads and sponsorships.

Beyond technical and equipment categories, I’d like to see…

New To Karting:
    New vs used, what to look for in used, karts and classes, etc

Regional Information:
    Shops, tracks, series, events, etc

Karting Promotion:
    A section for promoters and organizers to share tips of the trade:
    track set up, pr, promo ideas, insurance/legal, scoring, etc.

James McMahon
    Participant

Keith, a lot of what you have above, and even more besides is within the scope of kartpulse.

Yes, its a lot of time. Two months in now. Getting there though… I will stress, my goal is to build a platform. I believe content will come with time if the platform is built correctly. That’s not to say it will be empty at launch, but the launch will merely be the beginning.

Let see, I’ve taken my karts to car shows. I’ve gotten countless newbies started in the sport. I have gone out of my way to make it to track events just to help someone out. I’ve put numerous people into several of my own karts. I promote karting any chance I can and am working on making access to important karting information much easier to gain and appeal to a broader crowd, see sig for details. :)

Lawrence Doty
    Participant

Worked a corner at an IKF race that was at our track 2 weeks ago…figures the only 2 incidences that day were on my corner..LOL

It’s amazing what you can learn about how other people take a corner, when you’re standing there…all day!

Rod Hawkins
    Participant

I will tell you what my brother has done. Last year he got interested and he and his brother inlaw bought karts after renting karts several times. He then got me interested and eventually my dad so interfered that he bought a kart too (although is too intimidated to actually race).

He just got his 2 young boys involved and now they race.

He has taken our cousin out, who has now raced just a couple weekends ago and might buy a kart in near future.

He has also taken at least 3 or 4 other friends and their kids out. Most just have a good time for the day of practice, while others contemplate buying karts.

I have taken a couple friends out and have invitations for another. I thought I had one guy hooked, but I think money is a factor.

John Gay
    Participant

Our team- AC-Racing, had our 3 karts on display promoting karting all throughout the Milwaukee Indyfest/ Indycar race weekend at the Milwaukee Mile this year and last year.

http://www.AC-racing.net

Mike Sirochman
    Participant

I’ve continually invite friend out to run concession karts and to races at my home track Ocala Gran Prix to try to get others I know started, it’s how I got my start. Eventually I will take my DD2 out and compete in a local race but for now it’s just practice.

I started a page on Facebook for people in our area, Florida Karting Planner, to try to organize get togethers on track to learn and help newer people get a start. I have over 50 people in the Central Florida area in our group at this time .

I also started another Facebook page, Florida Karting Photos, to share pictures myself and others have taken at race events with drivers and their families. I’ve been limited up to this point on the locations I’ve been able to make trying to balance between my other obligations but I’m trying to expand. I love photography and though my pictures aren’t the greatest yet but they come with no charge. If you see one you want you email me and it’s yours in full resolution. I try to get all the drivers I can because I know there isn’t always someone there available for everyone especially on the far side of the track.

Lawrence Doty
    Participant

We had some local high school kids out at the track this weekend. Put them in the arrive-n-drive karts and let them go…

http://www.kcoy.com/story/24053570/santa-maria-high-school-kids-bond-at-go-kart-track

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Karting is an underground subculture that should not be promoted less it lose it’s charm.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

anthony mansfield
    Participant

<div class=”postbody”>:usa: Yea on bringing in new karters. We also need to take better care of our karters who are in the sport now so they will stay longer with a bigger enjoyment factor.

What I have done in the last year in KART RACING FOR HEROES

Three race series
    T shirts for racers
    Pancake breakfast for all drivers fathers day races
    Special placques for drivers
    Ninety five new drivers in rental kart team racers
    Press coverage of these events and media races
    Paid track owners for the use of the rental karts
    Business cards with event info
    High lighting the stress release of karting
    Open class races

We would like to make next years series even bigger for the HEROES and the local karting community.
    A mini state series 3 – 5 tracks
    Prizes for class winners and high light special efforts by drivers or crew

We need help to make this bigger and better in 2014</div>
    <div class=”postbody”>We are adding a Wounded Warrior class with hand controlled karts</div>
    <div class=”postbody”>Contact

Craig Mansfield
    KARTRACINGFORHEROES.org
    303 242 2929</div>
    <span class=”postbody signature”> </span>

Mark Erpelding
    Participant

This is what I have decided to do to help promote karting…

1…  Buy a Strip Mall

2…  Tear it down

3…  Build a Race Track!

We spend our money on Racin, Whiskey and Women.... The rest we waste....

anthony mansfield
    Participant

Mark great idea when does it open?  Please look at Colorado Karter forum Kart Racing For Heroes.  Anyone want to attend February 23 at Unser Indoor Kart track

KART RACING FOR HEROES

Craig Mansfield

303 242 2929

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.