Home Forums General Karting Discussion Skid Plates

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Walt Gifford 3 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Why don’t kart makers just extend the belly pan over the frame in the key areas? And why are bolt ons 1/4″ billet $50 jobs, all you need is some 3/32″ aluminum sheet.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Anonymous

As expensive as chassis are, $50 is nothing to protect it. Now, for us budget racers, that is outrageous.

I am super tight, so I use steel axle collars that I get for pennies at swap meets over the winter. Use them till they start to get thin, flip them over. Use them some more, then throw them away and put some more on. Much cheaper and just as effective.

Tim Koyen
    Participant

Hey, why don’t you go ruin someone else’s business????  Just kidding. :)

I always surmised that the manufacturers would prefer that you wear out the chassis, so you’ll buy another.  At least that seemed like the obvious reason that they don’t build in frame protection.  Also, it adds cost.

Not everyone is a master fabricator, so handing them a hunk of 3/32 aluminum would be pointless.  Kind of like handing me a scientific calculator….although I could make a doorstop out of that.

KartLift Kart Stands
    DeepSeat Kart Seats
    877-777-8020
    ------------------
    Don't bother PMing me, it doesn't work. Email is best: tim@kartlift.com.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Oh wait they are $60 – $85 and they don’t cover the bend on the side rails?

Gif

Tim Koyen
    Participant

Boy Walt, you’re an expert on everything aren’t you?  I apologize for my products not meeting your specifications.  Perhaps you could manufacture and market something so I can complain about it?

KartLift Kart Stands
    DeepSeat Kart Seats
    877-777-8020
    ------------------
    Don't bother PMing me, it doesn't work. Email is best: tim@kartlift.com.

Matt Clark
    Participant

Anonymous

Tim, kinda funny how you got all bent out of shape when all someone was doing was complaining about price. I don’t even see anywhere that he called out your products, specifically. Glad not all manufacturers of kart products take things personal like that. Could you imagine if he had complained about a kartlift stand being too expensive? Wonder what that reaction would have looked like….

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Derek, want to hear something even funnier. Lately I’ve been trying to decide weather to buy the kartlift LT or a lift sold by a local kart shop that sells for $300 less. I think the kartlift is a better product and probably more dependable but the other one seems to get the job done.

I’ve never used skid plates so, consider me dumb on that. I just thought it would be an idea to make the belly pan to cover the bottom.

Peace,
    Gif

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.