Home Forums General Karting Discussion Seat mounting/ installation

This topic contains 21 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  FREDDY SANDOVAL 4 years, 12 months ago.

• Author

Sebastian Sarmiento
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I bought a tony kart that had a tillet t11 on it size large. I’m XL  I have a XL  Ribtect carbon fiber seat that I bought from another member from here that I would like to install.

When removing the tillet I realized that the Ribtect seats are WAY wider than tillets and the frame struts have to be opened up quite a lot.

I was checking this out, which it may help someone in the future

http://www.ntkarters.com/images/stories/karting_resources/SeatInstall0208.pdf

However, it says, that the right frame strut (engine side) should not be bent because it is there to save room for the engine, but does it mean I have to bend outwards the left frame strut about 4″ to 5″???. Also isn’t the seat going to be way off center?.

I’m new to karting and it seems that installing a seat, besides the 65 degrees + or – is way more complicated than what it looks and I don’t want to push the frame too far and brake something I’ll sure regret.

It would be easy to go and pay to have someone install it, but I’d like to learn how to do it and do not depend on shop for everything.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I wish you twice as much of whatever you wish for me. : )

Eric Alexander
    Participant

I set one of my karts up for a friend. We fit a Tillett T10 XXL seat and so we needed to expand the struts a good bit.  I did fit an old axle over the right side strut and bend it outward a bit.  Mind you, on this CRG frame it was a bit difficult to move it as to the way the strut is fitted to the frame.  But we did end up getting just under an inch of rightward expansion.  We scaled the kart and still had more weight left than right, so it was the right thing to do. With a driver of his size you’re already over weight minimums, so no chance to add weight and re-balance without that weight penalizing you’re laptime.

Best of luck.

Nick Driver
    Participant

I just got a new seat and am looking to install it as a newbie also. Interestingly, the seat I’ll be removing is a Ribtect XL seat that is way too big for me as my ribs found out the hard way after my first day on the track with my kart.

In the post above I noticed something about scaling. I don’t have the funds for any expensive scales, know anybody with scales, etc. So how important is using scales for seat mounting? Here I thought I was getting closer to mounting the seat later this week, but it sounds like there’s still more to this than I thought.

TJ Koyen

Having your seat mounted in the correct spot is the most important handling variable on a kart. If it’s not in the right place, the handling will never be right. Depending on your kart brand, there should be a seat mounting guide to give you some guidelines and measurements on where to place it based on your height. Following their guidelines should get you pretty close to proper weight distribution. Ask your local shop and I’m sure they’d be able to give you some measurements.

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
    Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
    www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
    www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

Nick Driver
    Participant

I think the problem some of us have (me for example) is there is no such thing as a local shop to visit for help or services.

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Sebastian
    Once you determine the proper location for your seat position
    The spreading of your seat struts will be a piece of cake, as your chassis is super soft, you really only need about 1 to 2 inches maximum on each side.

Just be careful not to crack the bottom of the seat mounts, where welded to the frame rails, so gently support at the bottom and midway while you bend it.

I would not use a cheater pipe, as it will scratch it, rubber hammer works best as an attitude adjuster.

Just do a little bit at the time, patiently, take your time on each side, and try the fitting the seat till you’re closed enough.

Put a straight bar across the bottom of frame rails, from left to right ( under seat) So that you don’t go past/below the frame rails causing major drag of seat on the track.

So, honestly the hardest job will be to find out the best measurements for a Rib Tech seat on a Tony Kart, between axle and back of seat, inclination of seat, and how close to the fuel tank uprights you need to be.
    Once all that is into place 100 % then you can start drilling holes.

Don’t be afraid to do it, you can do this
    And remember, Most guys with a lot of holes on their seats are very fast. My 2 cents. Fast Freddy;)

Finch Guenther
    Participant

Nick,

Assuming every on your kart is straight the Crg recommended position will get you very close. 23cm from the top rear edge of the seat to the top of the axle. 58cm from the front of the seat to the front of the front frame rail and 2cm below the frame rails for height. I’ve anyways been very close on weight distribution starting with these #’s.

Finch Guenther

#51 CRG KPV

Nick Driver
    Participant

I’ve got a CRG chassis so maybe I’ll get lucky using their guidelines as a starting place.

As a general seat noob, one thing I’m trying to figure out is how easy or difficult it will be to notice if your seat position is affecting your driving. As a novice that’s only had two days of seat time in the last 5 weeks (due to injury) – one full day of instruction and  one day of solo driving with nothing before that for 11 yrs – my intuition is lacking for understanding driving characteristics. I’m hardly worried about putting more holes in the seat, but knowing when those changes are needed and how to make them is a concern. Maybe I’m thinking too far ahead?

Finch Guenther
    Participant

Nick,

It sounds like you are about the same size as me so the recommended position should work just fine for you. I have owned a few Crg karts and have never had to move the seat out of the recommended position. Because you are a smaller guy my opinion would be to mount your weights a little higher on the seat so it will transfer the weight better.

Hope this helps.

Finch Guenther

#51 CRG KPV

Nick Driver
    Participant

I don’t mean to hijack the thread, but what seat weights? I know there aren’t any extra weights or anything like that on the seat that’s on the kart now (which came with it when I bought it)… unless the guy maybe removed something. Also, yes, I’m a smaller guy ~145 @ 5’10.

Sebastian Sarmiento
    Participant

Freddy,

You are right, the perfect center would be to open up both struts, but the one on the engine side is 1/4″ away from the starter of the engine, so that one can’t really move, the 2″ and 2″ would have to move towards the opposite side and as I mentioned before the seat would be way off center and unbalanced the weight big time and what worry me the most is to open up the left strut 4″.

I’m inclining towards taking it to the shop and see how they would do it. I’m curious

Thanks everyone for your help. I’m glad other people will be taking benefit of this thread as well!.

I’ll take some pics of the before and after.

Lawrence Doty
    Participant

Nick, most racing classes have a minimum weight that you have to meet when you come off the track. They are set so that most everyone will have to add weights to meet the minimum.

Also, while you might not have a shop with in 30mins of you…you are in a very central location for karting. LA has several shops and clubs. Bakersfield has a club…not sure if there is still a shop…and Santa Maria also has a club…no shop…but most of the members are very willing to help out new people. Lancaster has/will have a club also.

My suggestion would be to mount the seat per the chassis manufacture recommendations. Then get a TON of seat time.
    Sebastian, As long as you have enough clearance for the motor and/or clutch you can move the right side seat mount if you need to.

Sebastian Sarmiento
    Participant

For whoever needs the Tony kart recommendation for seat positioning.

Altezza pilota means driver height

http://jensonbrown.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/66cc96f4-9269-4e6c-bb64-50172937fbbf.jpg

TJ Koyen

Nick,

As a novice, you probably won’t feel the difference if the seat is off a bit. But it’s just better to start off on the right foot. Otherwise you might find yourself frustrated trying to solve a chassis handling problem later down the road and won’t remember that your seat isn’t mounted to factory specs.

The best thing for a novice to do is the set the kart up baseline neutral as it comes from the factory, don’t mess with it, and just go pound laps.

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Sebastian
    I have an idea. Why don’t you make a trip to Bakersfield to compete at our year end shootout race, we will help you with the seat and weight distribution

I’ll talk to the guys and myself will let you borrow an engine package (KT100)
    We’ll set up the pipe and clutch, etc. Just pay for your entry fee and fuel.

I recommend running with us old farts, as a YC Heavy pipe class, otherwise the youngsters here will eat you alive ( YOU CAN’T PAY ME ENOUGH TO RACE WITH THEM)

Last year my Son started from the end of mid pack, and after a 5 kart pile up in turn one, he tried to avoid, but brushed them with his left front tire it was all over.

Bent spindle, broken tie rod ends, bent steering column, bent axle, bent spindle. We could not repair his kart for the main event.

There were 26 karts in his class, That’s a lot for a sprint track ( AWESOME RACE THOGH)

Anyhow, think about it, and let me know. Fast Freddy.
    Oh! P.S. Do you have any races under your belt? Or just practice days?

Nick Driver
    Participant

I’m hoping to mount my new Righetti seat tomorrow on my ’08 CRG chassis. According to a manual I found, they showed this image for seat mounting measurements. If I’m understanding the image, it’s saying 205mm from the bottom-rear edge of the seat to the back side of the rear axle, but I’m having a little trouble understanding the other two dimensions.  Any tips? I’m also still not sure if I should mount up the two seat stays on either side of the seat like the previous owner did for the Ribtect XL seat that’s on there now. Again, I’m a little guy so I’m not sure if two seat stays on each side are necessary.

Sebastian Sarmiento
    Participant

Hey Freddy!!,
    Always great to hear from you man!. Sounds like a lot of fun!. I don’t have any karting races under my belt, just practice days and I don’t want to ruin the race!LOL!.
    I may go anyways, even if I don’t race, is it at buttonwillow or at the Bakersfield track?.
    Pass me the info of Josh, I’ll contact him, may we can carpool.
    Thanks for the invite man!!, you bakersfilians (I don’t think that word exist lol!) are awesome people!.
    About your kid, I hope He’s OK, but ouch!, sounds like a  $$$$$ repair!!

Nick Driver
    Participant

Where are you guys located anyway? I’m out of Ventura.

TJ Koyen

Nick,

Stick with one seat stay on each side for now just because it’s easier. One or two doesn’t really matter. I feel like two gives slightly more weight transfer so for smaller guys it’s better, but it honestly is such a small difference that most people can’t even feel it.

I’m assuming the measurement refers to the very back bottom point to the center of the axle but it’s a bit difficult to tell on this chart.

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Nick

I’m in Bakersfield Ca. Sebastian lives in San Jose Ca. He’s very lucky to live closed to Laguna Seca in Monterey, Sonoma Ca. Infennion race way, etc, OH! and closed to Thunder hill too!. ;)

Come on out and race with us too. Nov 29th-30th

P.S. It’s very easy to find out where people live ( just click on their names, on the left side)

Sebastian Sarmiento
    Participant

Thunderhill is a whole new track now and they keep adding to it! I used to go there and track days with my gixxer 750. Good memories.

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Hey, Sebastian! Do you think you’re gonna make it to the Pro Race?

No pressure, I just need to get your stuff ready, I have pretty much everything, except the clutch

If the answer is no, don’t feel bad, things happen, but I just need to know for preparation That’s all.

But I will totally understand if you can’t make it.

P.S. Send me a picture of the chassis, I need to see the rear mounting bracket for the pipe. FASTFRACERFREDDY@AOL.COM

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.