Home Forums Tech Talk Safety clips/circlips

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  brian downing 4 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Dustin McGrew
    Participant

I have a Birel kart and it has these safety clips.. http://cometkartsales.com/8mm-Safety-Clip.html

The price on Comet’s site for them seems insane to me. $1 for that tiny piece of metal? Is there something that is better and cheaper than these clips that I could use?

Rick Brown
    Participant

Cotter pins or saftey wire

Stu Hayner
    Participant

After working on and building many brands of karts, I welcome those pricy little Birel clips. I wish every kart used them.

You will break countless bits trying to drill bolts, then ruin every nylock you put on that drilled bolt. When you snag an arm on a cotter pin or safety wire, you’ll be more than glad to pay that dollar a piece for that little clip.

I think of it this way. If I bought a set of new clips every year we’re talking about less than a $20 bill.

To me, that’s a pretty fair price for the easiest clip in karting.

Just my $0.02

Gregg Palmer
    Participant

I agree with Stu.

Dustin McGrew
    Participant

Thanks guys. I think I’ll stick with the circlips. Now what happens if I break a bolt? I can’t find bolts with that groove in them anywhere..

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Then you will have to get a regular high tensile strength bolt and learn to drill a hole without breaking the drill bit, dress the threads so they don’t cut into the nylock and install a cotter pin so it doesn’t snag on anything.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

brian downing
    Participant

simple folded safety wire

Regardless of how one creates the hole, in the end safety wire is the easiest, cheapest way to create a lock. A can of safety wire costs $15 and lasts years. Invest in a good set of pliers, a worthwhile spend.
    To prevent the snags and impaled fingers, always leave a short bit of extra twisted wire at the end and fold the sharp end back on to the nut or bolt so that it’s not exposed.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

That tiny piece of metal is chrome plated European music wire.

Seriously you can drill a hole for a cotter pin where the slot for the clip is. Just file a flat so you can get the drill started and try to stay on center. Don’t drill too big.

Insane prices, welcome to karting.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.