Home Forums General Karting Discussion Rotax Starter

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Ambrose Buldo
      Participant

New to Rotax… Dumb question.

With the correct sized socket at the end of my remote coleman starter, can I use a external starter to start my rotax like I can with a Leopard?

tony zambos
      Participant

You are not going to have starter problems you had with a Leopard. Have a fully charged battery and a spare. Rotax engines do not recharge the battery. You will have to learn how to jet the carb and you are good to go.

LAD Specialties customer / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Keith Buffo
      Participant

I don’t see why not… and I’m pretty sure I’ve seen it done.

Back when I was new to Rotax, not only did my onboard starter fail, it failed to stay on the kart! Not too good. After I got done nut-n-bolting the whole kart, I bought one of these: http://sharkshifter.com/zc/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=137_140&products_id=597 I give my starters two seasons, then ready or not I replace them with $100 aftermarket. I’ve never had an issue, but bring one of the old ones to the track every anyway.

Ambrose Buldo
      Participant

Thanks that is the answer I was hoping for…

Ambrose Buldo
      Participant

Appreciate the feedback. I have a new Lithium Battery, that I keep on the Kart well charged and a spare Conventionial Battery.  With a total loss system in the Rotax, I understand the need to keep battery charged.

Hopefully starter won’t fail. Question is, if the starter were to ever fail, could I start by attaching the starting from the starter nut? If not’ I’ll dontate my Coleman external starter to someone who could use it.

Chad Landers
      Participant

Yes, you can start the Rotax with an external starter.  You will probably never really need to,but if you already have one I’d keep it on hand.  You just need a 17mm socket.

Walt Gifford
      Participant

Someone told me that nut is not meant to take a starter gun but you can use it in a pinch.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
      Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
      Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
      41 years karting experience

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.