Home Forums TaG Rotax Max Rotax Parts On-Line?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Brett Clatt
      Participant

My youngest son is going to club race for the first time in 2015. Being a divorced dad, I’m on a tight budget. We did find a great deal on a 2012 Sodi Sigma with a 2013 Rotax Senior motor. We have to get it rebuilt and have a Junior head installed(son is only 12yrs old).

Looking for the best price on the web. Anyone have any suggestions of who has the most reasonable prices out there for Rotax parts?

Thanks!

Robert Brooks
      Participant

if you are looking for factory Rotax parts, all dealers are supposed to sell at the same price.
      I’d suggest a local shop that will provide service AFTER the sale.
      It doesn’t do much good to get the parts and struggle with how to install them.
      Maybe the kart is not running right and a simple jet or plug change is needed? If the local shop that you bought from is at the track they will help you, the internet shop can’t.
      That said, Acceleration Karting in Vegas has an excellent web site and ships FAST.
      Curtis and his staff have always helped me and they also support the club I race with as well as being a sponsor on this web site.

Jeff Salak
      Participant

If your on a tight budget. Rotax may not be your best choice.. That great deal will cost $1000 plus for a rebuild. I own a Rotax and love it. Im just speaking from the truth.

You should look into a different class. Maybe Briggs 206 or KT 100. Karting cost money and you often have to chase down problems, parts, new tires, race fuel, cost to get to track, cost to enter race, ect. It never ends the costs!!!

If you want to stay in karting at an affordable price. Tag/Rotax class isn’t the way to go.

Brett Clatt
      Participant

Thanks for the info. Unser here in Denver is very reputable and they have been very helpful with my son and I. Looks like I’ll just keep things local.

Costs…. We looked at going the Briggs route, but the competition isn’t that much(IMO). CJKC has about 8 kids in it that run the Formula Briggs. My son was wanting to join the most competitive group and RTR/Rotax seemed to offer that. More kids, money and talent. We’ve worked out a budget to run every race here in Denver and at least two in Grand Junction and/or Phoenix with SLC a possibility also. After parts, rebuild, tires, entry fees, travel expenses and gas we are literally running with less than a grand for a buffer. Something like a blown motor or abnormal parts consumption will quickly shorten the season. The only reason I considered this for my son is that I’ve seen how well he can drive compared to other talented people. We’ll see how well he does with ten other kids around him that are just as, if not more, talented and running on a bigger budget.

Steen Carstensen
      Participant

Bret, in your first post you said you need the engine rebuild and a new “junior head” installed. I think you mean a “junior cylinder”, there is a huge difference in price. Thought I would give you a heads up, cylinder heads are the same, cylinders are different, cost of cylinder around $600.00.

Brett Clatt
      Participant

From what I’m seeing on line, a junior cylinder,or barrel, is from $687-$712 depending on the web site. I’m estimating another $100 for the piston and ring. Then the price of the lower end rebuild, and EVO upgrade. I would have a certified shop, Unser, do the work so that it would remain legal to run.

I wasn’t sure if there was a on line source that had better prices on parts or rebuild kit than what I was seeing on google searches.

Steen Carstensen
      Participant

If you are going that route with full rebuild and Evo upgrade, I would suggest you get a quote on the work and parts from Unser and then compare that to the cost of a new engine, I bet it will be close and then you would still have a senior engine you could sell.

Brett Clatt
        Participant

^^^ I was just thinking about that. Looked at accelarationkarting.com and they had a brand new 2014 “short” Junior motor for $2600, +$385 for the EVO kit would give me a new setup for $3k. I’m estimating $1900 to change the current setup to a Junior and do a rebuild.

I’m trying to weigh all my options before jumping head first. I don’t want my son’s first year to be a financial disaster for me.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.