Home Forums General Karting Discussion Ribtech Questions

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Ric mcDade 4 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Walt Gifford
    Participant

I have a Ribtech XL seat that fits me good on the bottom but has allot of gap on the top. I want to know how much room does the Ribtech vest take up. Will it fill at least an inch on each side?

Also, the seat I have is carbon fiber but it looks like it has some CF on the back and front but is mostly fiberglass. Is it really worth the extra money over the Ribtech all fiberglass seat or is this just for racing mojo?

Thanks,
    Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Greg Lindahl
    Participant

Hi Walt.

Seats and rib protection are a VERY personal thing.

The Ribtect vest is thick and will take up quite a bit of the upper seat gap, but you’ll need to test it for yourself to see if it works for you.

Patrick Roth
    Participant

It definitely will not take up an inch on each side.  If I had to throw out a guess I would say maybe it would add 1/2″ total.

I have only ran the CF Ribtect seats so I can’t help you there… but… carbon fiber and stickers do make you go faster. ;)

The upper part of the Ribtect seats are quite flexible (since it doesn’t have a lip around the perimeter like most seats) and I have found that the upper part is a function of how wide you have the chassis struts.  There are limits to this but there is some room to work with.  I suggest taking a ratchet strap and putting it around the upper portion to help slide it in between your chassis struts.  Once again, there are limits to this…

Robby Mott
    Participant

Hello Walt,  to answer your question about the carbon fiber version…….this version is made with carbon fiber and fiberglass.  We are reinforcing all 4 mounting areas and bottom of seat with carbon fiber.  We are also utilizing the Ribtect “X” pattern in the carbon version…….using uni directional carbon fiber strips.  More information on the “X” pattern can be found here:  http://www.ribtect.com/RibtectSeat_Original.html    The carbon version will ultimately be stronger…….yet still flexible.  The all fiberglass version will have a similar flex and will have the same shape as the carbon version as they all come off the same moulds.

Like Patrick mentioned, you can fine tune the fit of the upper portion of the seat by adjusting the welded struts.  The seat does not have a rolled lip which allows you to squeeze the top of the seat in or out if necessary to get the fit “just right”.

Chris Jennings
    Participant

As mentioned above, I move the left seat stay ONLY to adjust the width of the upper region of the seat. My seat slightly compresses in the seat stay to get the fit just right for me. I used a ribtech vest and NO padding in my seat. I snap in like a button with no movement what so ever. Hope this helps.

Ric mcDade
    Participant

Gif- Garvin Racing, seat

mold kits are great! No mess, quick and easy, and their kart kits are $99. Nothing like a cheap custom fit!!

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Tried squeezing the seat and there’s no adjustment save 1/8″ with a big pre load on the struts which I don’t like.

I think I’m gonna cut a big Vee notch in the back then force it together which will probably rupture the fibers in the mid section, might have to beat it with a hammer to relieve stress in areas then glass it all back together. I just hope the side angles are ok so the top edge doesn’t dig in. If it does dig in probably just beat it with a hammer to get the top to roll out.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Ric mcDade
    Participant

Don’t squeeze it, sounds like a $99 insert is your answer. Easy for me to say I know! :)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.