Home Forums Chassis & Handling Reducing required brake pressure OTK rookie

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Mark Parker
      Participant

I have he brake rods on the highest point on the pedals and the pedal is just too hard to push. What can i do to lighten the pedal input required to get the kart to slow down?

Thanks.

They are 2014 chassis if it matters

Dave Holstein
      Participant

Put the rod on the lowest position on the pedal and the highest on the master cylinder.

This will give more leverage on the master cylinder.

Gary Lawson
      Participant

X2 with what Dave said. Lower on the pedal will make a big difference

Mark Parker
      Participant

I have 2 karts, both were on the lowest setting and super hard to push, I moved one up today and no difference.

Its ts a tony kart so I don’t have positions on the master cyl to manipulate.

Any other ideas?

Edward Hagberg
      Participant

If installed, check the tension on the wire rope backup. If the wire rope is installed at a higher position than the brake rod with no slack it will cause a binding condition when the pedal is depressed. Try installing the wire rope at a lower position than the rod.

Dave Holstein
      Participant

I would bet your pads are glazed.

If nothing else worked then replace the pads and the rotor if is badly worn.

Its common to over use the brakes when starting out. You will eventually start using the brakes a lot less as you progress. (This was my experience anyway)

Mark Parker
      Participant

The wire is on the lowest point on the pedal.

with the brake pedal disconnected of the rod and the cable the 2 plungers are still hard to compress by hand.

both karts have been this way since new so the pads being glazed or something being worn out doesn’t seem like it.

is their a lighter weight fluid or something that could be used or done? Something that can be adjusted with the caliper?

both karts are almost new and as stated, the way the brakes are and have been they can be over worked.

Steve piggott
      Participant

Also make sure the master cyc arm never goes past 90deg angle when activated, you will loose massive amount of leverage if it does

Steve piggott
      Participant

And if all else fails take all apart and inspect and reassemble , been down that road before

Reid Smith
      Participant

Did you ever get this sorted out?  My 11 year old was in an OTK cadet for most of last season, and he noticed quite a bit of difference in the brakes compared to the 2008ish era Arrow 1020 Sportsman/Junior chassis we ran for a few races prior to buying the Tony Kart used.  The brakes on the TKR were so soft and progressive (and a bit leaky on one side of the caliper) that I ended up completely rebuilding them.   He really had to put a lot into them to get close to locking up the rear.  In talking to other folks, I generally got the impression that the OTK brakes weren’t quite as direct on the input as, say, the Arrow.  I did read somewhere that OTK brakes that are working properly on an adult kart are much more similar to the kind of pedal feel and progressiveness on a larger race car.  He could haul the Arrow down with very little input, but I have more than a couple of instances of up in the top of the sweeper turns on our local track when he was adjusting to the TKR braking input required.  Rebuilding them shouldn’t be that difficult, but I wouldn’t think 2014 chassis would need it.

Mark Parker
      Participant

yes, brake rod was scrubbing the side of the billet housing it slides through and all the brake pressure was a result. I redid all that and kept the rod as straight as possible and its perfect now.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.