Home Forums General Karting Discussion Question involving setup

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Tim Koyen 5 years ago.

• Author

Brandon Ryan
    Participant

Watching the Grand Nationals coverage, and being a completely new person to kart racing in general, I had a question about setup.

So in lieu of recent events, where practice, qualifying, and and the first couple heats were run on a dry sun baked track, and today looks to be going to be ran on a overcast, rainy, and wet track.

My question is, besides tires, what set up changes do you make in an event like this? I know when racing scca, I would remove front end toe, and camber to make the car easier, and more predictable to drive.

I am just trying to learn as much as possible, since the sunshine state likes to have un predictable rain storms between 3-5pm everyday in the summer.

Thank you in advance,

Brandon

Tim Koyen
    Participant

Good questions Brandon.  The extent to which you make the following changes will all depend on what level of grip exists between just a damp track and a full out-water-flowing-across-the-track rain setup.

Increase caster

Widen front track

Narrow rear track

Raise center of gravity – raise seat/driver and/or ride height

Move weight forward on kart

Loosen floorpan and/or seat bolts to increase chassis flex

Loosen front bumper bolts

Increase Ackermann in steering

Axle change

Bigger front wheel hubs

These are the things I work with.  Depending on the rain conditions, I may do them all, or only a couple.  Sometimes all a damp track needs is rain tires and maybe a little different track width.  The kart can only make up for some of it though, and a good driver who has logged some miles in the rain can do way more than the kart can, in my opinion.

The object of all these changes is to get the front end to grip enough to turn the kart, then  keep the rear from coming out in the turn.  Much like it is in the dry, only more extreme.

I’m sure some guys have more suggestions, as well as driving tips for the rain.  I’ll leave the driving to them, I’m only the mechanic/tuner.

KartLift Kart Stands
    DeepSeat Kart Seats
    877-777-8020
    ------------------
    Don't bother PMing me, it doesn't work. Email is best: tim@kartlift.com.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.