Home Forums Theft Reports / Prevention Paypal usage to minimize purchasing risk

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Samir Shah 4 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Samir Shah
    Participant

It appears that 3 members of this group, including myself, have been taken by Dacey Spinuzzi, who posted items for sale in the Classifieds. Items were not delivered, excuses were made, and refunds were promised, after which Dacey seems to vanished.

We all sent money to Dacey via paypal. I made the mistake of sending it as ‘money to a friend’.

However, we have no idea who this guy really is, or where he is, as his paypal account is unverified. He seems to have spent some months setting up for this by asking questions on the forum, and building up some history with the group.

Part of the problem is with paypal – it will not let you know whether an account is verified BEFORE you send money to it. I called them about this – they said that if you call them before you send money, they can look up a user and tell you if the user is verified and give you some sense for how long the person has been a user. This however, entails spending some time and staying on phone hold.

There is a trick – send the person who wants money from you $0.01 via paypal. Then look at the transaction history – it will tell you if the person you sent money to is verified. This is not foolproof, but it’s a start.

The other way Paypal can protect us, is to make sure all transactions with people you don’t know are entered as ‘goods and services’ and not as ‘money to friends’. This automates paypal’s buyer protection insurance, and you can then file a claim through paypal.

David Cole – does it make sense to repost this on the main forum?

Samir.

Adam Gorrell
    Participant

I am one of the 3 who have been taken. I currently have an open claim with PayPal as I made sure to send as goods and services to protect myself. It looks like Samir and myself received the same exact tracking number as well which shows only that the label was printed and nothing more.

Fred Robertson
    Participant

I am the third person scammed by Dacey. I was sold a GP11 shifter kart and GP5 kart along with multiple other racing parts but all that arrived on the pallet was a GP5 frame. I too sent payment as goods and have filed a formal paypal claim since the promised refund hasnt been not issued. Please be alert to not do business with this EKN user as he cannot be trusted.

Adam Gorrell
    Participant

Dont wait Fred. Do it now. Dont waste your time. He is a scammer. He sent me and Samir the same exact tracking number for both of our motors. Not sure how PayPal will respond after your first claim but I hope for the best for you as well.

Samir Shah
    Participant

Fred, contact me via email and I’ll give you my phone number and walk you through how to place the claim on paypal.

Samir

David Cole
    Keymaster

Guys, please email us at news@ekartingnews.com a link to the ads that this person posted so we may address this. Thank you.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor

Adam Gorrell
    Participant

Just shot you an email David. I appreciate any help brother.

Adam Gorrell
    Participant

So today Dacey decided to respond to the PayPal Claim I had against him. He tried telling PayPal I did a local pickup of the Motor even though I am in Oregon and he is in Colorado supposedly. Needless to say I got a hold of PayPal, gave them the link to this post as well as the original post of the engine I bought, and they closed the case out in my favor and refunded me.

DO NOT BUY FROM THIS DIRTBAG

Samir Shah
    Participant

Paypal has refunded me too.

Samir

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.