Home Forums General Karting Discussion Opinion on kart scrapes. are they too deep?? Link to pics included

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Sebastian Sarmiento 4 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Sebastian Sarmiento
    Participant

Hi guys,

Please let me know what you think  about the scrapes  on the bottom of the chassis, are those normal or way too much?.

Please those who know…. share some of your knowledge!!!

http://reno.craigslist.org/snw/4716817196.html

Thanks Guys!!

I wish you twice as much of whatever you wish for me. : )

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Sebastian

The kart package seems to be at a decent price

The flat spots on the bottom frame rails are pretty deep for an OTK kart ( soft chassis ) but may be ok as a club level for a season or 2

I’m honestly not a fan of Motori 7 ( my own personal opinion ) I would never buy one

I would buy a Rotax instead.

Find out if they even use those at the club you wanna race with, if not don’t even buy it.

But if all you want it for track time, practice days and the weekend warrior, they I gess it would be ok, hoping the engine will last and parts availability is in check.

Curtis Cooksey
    Participant

The price is right. If the engine runs I think it is a good deal. A new TonyKart chassis without a motor is almost $5,000.

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Curtis
    You’re right, This kart package is set at a very good price, the price is right.
    Honestly I can get an OTK full roller chassis with no motor at all
    for about $2,200 to $2,800, from 2013 to 2014

So yeah, you’re right, looks like he would be getting the motor for almost free
    The first statement I made was that the kart package was a good deal, but then I shared that the engine package is not my choice (personal opinion) No offense

And since Sebastian is new to the world of karting and unfamiliar with all the classes out there, I encouraged him to do some homework, to see if that engine is even currently running at his club, so that he won’t regret buying it.

Sebastian Sarmiento
    Participant

Hi fellas,

thank you for the comments. My plan is to sell the whole motori 7 with all the extra parts. Like 1200 maybe? , sell the mychron 4 and install a rotax package i have.

At that point the chassis would be 1500 plus or minus.

My main concern are the scrapes on the bottom.! what do you think about that?

Gary Smith
    Participant

Hi Sebastian,

I would look for a kart package with the motor you plan to run, trying to sell things to generate money to buy a motor doesn’t make much sense.

My first kart was a complete kart, was looking for a 100cc Yamaha or HPV. I bought an HPV Top Kart for $1800, that was 13 years ago, and here I am still karting!

If this is your first kart, try to buy a complete package that you plan to run and well supported by your track and dealer. Buying a package you can’t find parts for is no fun.

Gary

#55 Honda CR80

Sebastian Sarmiento
    Participant

any other inputs about the scrapes?

Eric Alexander
    Participant

I’d be on the fence about the frame.  The price point is good considering its a 2013 kart, but that frame has been raced hard to get that amount of flat-spotting in a single season.  If it were me, that amount of flat spotting would bother me.  But again, a 2013 Tony Kart is going carry some value regardless.  In the end its up to you, But I think you can find an older kart in much better shape for the same – if not less money.  $2500 to $3000 can buy a nice used kart if you’re patient and look hard enough.

I’d also listen to guys about buying a kart serviced by your local track.  And also about buying one already set-up for the engine class you intend to run.

Sebastian Sarmiento
    Participant

thanks eric,

i really appreciate your input

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Those scrapes are nothing, it barely took the paint off. If it’s a good deal don’t let that stop you.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Curtis Cooksey
      Participant

I agree with Walt. I would be much more concerned that it was straight. See if you can’t put an alignment tool on the front end. If a chassis is bent it is usually visible at the spindles with a good alignment tool like a Sniper V2.

Sebastian Sarmiento
    Participant

Thanks guys!. The guy is going to throw in a trailer as well he said, nothing fancy, but looks ok.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.