Home Forums General Karting Discussion Ohio (and surrounding area) Karters: looking for advice

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 20 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Joshua Guiher 4 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Tyler Curley
    Participant

Hello! Im new here, from Ohio. I would love to get back into karting and am looking for advice.

Background info: I raced karts at a local club (OVKA) for a couple years in 2000 and 2001.  I was 8 years old in sportsman yamaha, had to quit because it was too expensive for the family at the time. Fast forward to now, I frequent local autocross and HPDEs, keeping my driving sharp.

After 14 years I see a lot has changed in the karting world. I see at my local club the most interesting class to me would be TaG. On to the questions…

I was hoping to spend between $3500 and $5000 on a kart package, and I was wondering how competitive older chassis with a competent setup and a fresh engine (example: 6 years old) are at club levels?

What are the main differences between different kart chassis? We had good success with Birel and Energy, but Im more than open to other manufacturers.

I would LOVE to eventually make it to a few national or pro races a few years down the road, as my interest in this is purely for the competition  and adrenaline rush. Unfortunately, why are there no organizations like SKUSA or ROTAX MAX running in the midwest? Sans one race at New Castle, IN, its disappointing. Even worse, nobody locally races shifters which is my highest interest, so TaG it is. Anyways, thanks for any and all help!

TJ Koyen

SKUSA is a West Coast based operation. If you want national competition here, you run USPKS which is a great series. Besides, the TaG competition level is just as good if not a bit stronger than the shifter level anyway. Plus, you can run SKUSA or USPKS if you have a TaG engine, not to mention almost every other legitimate series as well. TaG is pretty universal around the country.

Local support of a chassis brand is more important than the actual kart itself. Almost any chassis can win with a competent driver/tuner.

At a club level, a 6 year old kart is probably fine. Just make sure it’s in good shape and the frame rails haven’t been flattened. Birel (now BirelART) and Energy are both good brands. Not sure if anyone is working with Energy karts these days though.

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
    Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
    www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
    www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

Tyler Curley
    Participant

Thanks for the info sir, already very helpful. Looks like USPKS is local enough and a good goal to shoot for!

I am aware of some general setup guidelines to follow, such as track width in dry vs track width in rain, swapping axles and gears depending on the track, but what about alignment? I do my own alignments on my track cars so Im educated in vehicle setup. I would assume get as much negative camber as you can while keeping the whole tire contact patch on the ground, with toe straight.  Would love any tips on that. Anything else about kart setup I should be aware of?

TJ Koyen

Camber/caster on cars vs. karts can be very different in what you’re trying to achieve. Remember that with a live axle, the kart has to lift the inside rear, so with a bunch of negative camber, you risk overheating the front tires, reducing caster too much, and binding the chassis up.

Basically, as a starting point, you want a little toe-out, neutral caster, neutral camber. Keep in mind the kart already has caster and camber built into the frame. The yokes aren’t straight up and down.

For a bit more front turn-in and lifting action, increase caster. To help the front tires come on quicker, a bit of negative camber can help. Also, when you start putting camber in, you are taking a bit of caster out since the adjustment pills are eccentrics and caster/camber aren’t independent. So a little negative camber can help settle the rear down if you are getting too quick of a turn-in.

Just getting back into it, I’d recommend really focusing on driving firstly. Once you’re within half a second of the front runners then you should look at setup. A good driver should be able to get within .5-.8 of the leaders on a baseline factory setup, before messing with adjustments.

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
    Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
    www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
    www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

Tyler Curley
    Participant

Okay, thanks alot again! I think thats all the questions I had.

David Cole
    Keymaster

Check out https://www.facebook.com/AdrenalineFixKarting if you are looking to start out in something like LO206, just to get your feet wet.

If you are looking to go national racing in TaG or Shifter, go with Checkered Motorsports – if you are looking to stay with shops in Ohio.

Like you said, Comet Kart Sales at New Castle is another great option, with an assortment of karts available through there, and a really strong club program.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor

Tyler Curley
    Participant

Perfect!

Jim Stine
    Participant

We have a lot of people from Ohio that club race with us at NCMP. Guess it depends on where you are in Ohio.

Tyler Curley
    Participant

That is a track I would like to race at next year, only an hour and a half away.

patrick j slattery
    Participant

Tyler, I recognized your name from back in the days at OVKA.  I still race at the club, if you need any help feel free to PM me

Tyler Curley
    Participant

So do the front runners in TaG classes modify the engines? Ive looked around on the forum and cant find a definite answer. I remember a time when shops would port the head then acid dip it to give it an unported look lol.

patrick j slattery
    Participant

Most reputable builders don’t try to stray from the rules.  If caught it would ruin your reputation as a builder, so it is not a good idea

David Galownia
    Participant

Hey Tyler,

I run at NCMP, and similar to you raced karts about 17 years ago.  I just got back into it full time this past season.  If you’re at the track, come see me.  I’m number 9, and run a tonykart in TAG Senior and TAG Heavy.

I actually ran Tonykart then and run a Tonykart now, but how I adjusted the kart back then was different to what I do now.  Small adjustments to camber, the front torsion bar, front track, and air pressure is most of what I change today.  Towards the end of the year I also raised my seat when the track was especially green and cold.

I would head to Comet Kart and ask for advice there.  Those guys are awesome and know what they’re talking about.   Each kart is different, really what you want is the correct baseline setup and seat placement to start.  Running locally at NCMP you likely won’t stray much from that.  Get a TAG Engine from Comet as well.  It’s fast and Mark Harrison who builds them is pretty much at every local NCMP race and is extremely helpful.

Best of luck to you.  Hopefully I’ll see you at the track this upcoming season.

Tyler Curley
    Participant

Hope to join you as well!

Robert Bujdoso
    Participant

Tyler,

Your best bet is to try to be affiliated and build a relationship with both a team and a engine builder.  Building strong relationships will help in the long run.  Every team supports certain engine builders etc. and support certain series.  If you’re interested in getting into a Tag package or Shifter program your more than welcome to PM me for info.  Were located around the Youngstown, OH area.  Hope this helps!

Checkered Motorports/PCR USA
    5 Time WKA National Champion
    www.checkeredmotorsports.com

Tyler Curley
    Participant

You guys that club race at New Castle, is there anyone racing stock moto?

David Galownia
    Participant

Not really.  There is a 125cc shifter class not a stock moto class.  It gets between 0 and 3 entries.

Most popular classes are lo206, Yamaha senior and masters, and tag sportsman.  If you haven’t raced in a while I would recommend tag sportsman to start along with tag heavy. The specs are the same for both so you can use the same kart and setup and race twice.

If you are a lighter guy, tag lite gets good entries.

Here is a link to the different classes at newcastle.

http://www.newcastleraceway.com/classes.shtml

Luke Bailey
    Participant

Welcome back to karting Tyler!

I’m in the Columbus, Ohio area and I also run at New Castle in TAG Sportsman. Last year was my first year back since I ran as a kid. Great facility with great people at New Castle. I can’t wait for the season to start up this year. Hope to see you there.

I also ran HPDE’s and Time Trials with NASA. I just got sick of spending big money on the cars. So I decided to get into karts. Haven’t looked back!

Harry Canoles
    Participant

Has anyone heard anything about what’s going on this year at Pitt?

I know the WKA date is set but haven’t seen anything else.

Harry Canoles
    Participant

Also any updates on the old/new track I’m Port Washington ?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.