Home Forums General Karting Discussion njmp open practice and gearing questions

Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      mike wu
      Participant

Does anyone know what track configurations are run on what open practice days?  Particularly, what configuration are they running this sunday (5/11)? The calendar on their website shows open practice days but doesn’t say a track configuration.

Also can anyone recommend a typical gear for a leopard or prd for each configuration?

thanks.

Brad Nyman
      Participant

Mike,

it will be one of the two halfs, either liberator or avenger. I would call ahead to confirm which side it will be on.

As for gearing, on liberator I would start with a 10-84 and on avenger a 10-81 if you plan on spinning it to 17k. Not entirely sure that’s right as I run x30, but I added a few teeth to compensate. Hope that helps,

brad

Force.One motorsports
      Gear up F-series racer

Kirt Burcroff
        Participant

Brad – What neighborhood are you in with the X30 gearing-wise. We’re running the full course next weekend. I was thinking I would start at 11-78 and go from there.

mike wu
      Participant

Thanks Brad.

I have a PRD and like to keep the RPMs in the 14k range, and have 11 teeth on the clutch.  If my calculations are correct, I should use around 11-77 and 11-75.  Sound about right?

I called the arrive and drive number this morning and left a message.  I couldn’t find and others on the website.  Is there another one I should use?

Brad Nyman
      Participant

mike,

That gearing is right around where i ran my rotaxs and the max rpm on those is 14k so that is a perfect starting point.

As for the phone number, i don’t think there is another one to call. and maybe you would be better off emailing the karting manager, Steven Hahn. he should be able to tell you which side you’ll be on.

brad

Force.One motorsports
      Gear up F-series racer

John Ferris
      Participant

Mike:
      The New Jersey Sprint Series is racing at NJMP next weekend May 16,17,18.
      We will be using the full 1.2mile Tempest track. We run a PRD spec class.
      The spec gear is 11/76 for senior and 11/71 for junior. For further info go to http://www.NJSprintSeries for all the information.
      Hope you can join the fun.
      John

John Ferris

Brad Nyman
      Participant

kirt – it depends on what tires and condition of the track.. If its for NJSS on Bstone YLC then start with an 11-76. If on a Bstone YLB, then go to an 11-75. If the chassis is set up right, that should be right were you want to be. If the track is like this weekend and the track is covered in pollen, go up 1 tooth. I only change gear until its within a few tenths of race pace then play with flex lengths.

That is for seniors, no idea where to start an X30 in juniors, only have had junior rotaxs. Hope that helps.

brad

Force.One motorsports
      Gear up F-series racer

Kirt Burcroff
        Participant

Brad – Thanks for the advice. We’re on YLCs in the Jrs so I may be pretty close. I’ll see how we fare on that long straight.

james kent
      Participant

Its impossible to get thru to the office there. Their calendar is written in code. It’d be nice to see saturdays full track practice and race on sundays.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.