Home Forums TaG New to TaG, Issues w/ Parilla Leopard Starter

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Brady Baxter
      Participant

Hi Everyone,

I’m a newbie to the site. Just picked up a used TaG kart that I plan on racing, Comet chassis w/ a Parilla IAME Leopard 125 engine.

After about 1/2 an hour of use when I brought it home, I went to start it again and got nothing when pushing the green button. With a voltage meter I’ve been able to conclude that the battery is charged full, the power pack seems to be sending a charge to the starter motor connector, and it’s definitely getting a spark. Spark plug is wet, and there is fuel in the carb. I’ve read that the power packs can go bad, but I’m definitely getting a spike in voltage when pressing the green button on the power pack.

A friend let me swap on a backup Mitsubu starter motor he had (which we tested and worked fine outside of the engine), and still this did nothing. It really seems like an electrical issue to me, but I can’t figure out what’s gone bad.

Does anyone have experience with a similar issue on these motors/Power Pack starter systems? How difficult is it going to be to rewire the power pack/battery cables to the starter motor? Mechanically the kart is running great but this start problem is obviously a major issue. I’m looking at doing an external start capability, but would also like the convenience of a push button start when I’m unable to get somebody to start me up…

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks,

Brady

Rye, NH

tony zambos
      Participant

Check your ground wire and check if you have at least 12.5 volts at the battery. Even a battery that measures 12v may be bad. Swap batteries with your friend. When that doesn’t work, disconnect the starter from the wiring harness and check the resistance thru the starter motor. Should be a couple of ohms. Check the pig tail that goes to the harness. It could be broken or its connection to the starter could be loose. Check that the bendix isn’t stuck.

Now you’re the point for a new brain for your engine. The very old push button boxes had a replaceable fuse. If your box has a sticker that says do not open, there is no user replaceable fuse inside.

Russell Karting might be able to repair your box. Call and find out. Either a replacement push button box or the kit to upgrade to the key start is going to be expensive.

LAD Specialties customer / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Sean S
      Participant

Unplug the starter from the harness and try taking some jumper wires and connect to a known working battery(car battery maybe), ground one lead on an allen bolt and just touch the positive + to the starter connection to see if it spins it up (hold the starter if it’s removed from the engine). I’ve had a problem similar to this… along with every other electrical gremlin that is possible on the 07 and Tony has always been right there with a quick and accurate response, so thanks Tony! The issue with mine was the starter brush broke and was not making a connection, hence nothing when you push the button. Give all the above info a try and update your status.

Tony Kart / Leopard

tony zambos
      Participant

Sean – Failures are always a learning experiences. Good that you’re up and running.

Brady – Keep us updated.

Brady Baxter
      Participant

Hey Guys,

Sorry for my delayed update! Fortunately the issue was very simple. Turned out it was the battery that couldn’t hold a charge, so after getting a new one, the problem is solved. I will say that the 12 volt battery that comes standard with this engine doesn’t seem to be very reliable, and I’m having to keep it on the Battery Tender all the time. Would it be OK to maybe run an 18 volt battery?

I had my first race this weekend and I’m officially addicted to karting! What an awesome time, and great community of racers.

Thanks for the help with this, I’m glad it turned out to be something relatively simple. Kart is running great now.

– Brady

tony zambos
      Participant

Congrats on your first weekend. Will have to say no to running an 18v battery because that could fry the Leopard’s little brain. That would be an expensive replacement. Do recommend batteries from Comet or Russell and would stay away from the battery stores. Buy the 9Ah over the 7.2. With a good battery, shouldn’t have to constantly use the battery charger. Does your engine not start after being run a couple of times without the charger?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.