Home Forums Tech Talk New to Kid Karting – Comer 50 to LO206 Conversion Questions

This topic contains 15 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Matt Dixon 4 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Tim Tittelbach
    Participant

I recently purchased a new  (But paid a used price)  Tony Kart Micro with a Comer 50.   The engine has not been run.   I am brand new to the Karting world and have hopes my 5 Year old Boy and 4 Year old Girl will pursue the hobby.   My local track does not have an active Kid Kart League due to participation and specs a LO206 powered karts.   Before getting the Kart and  in talking with the track, my plan was to get my son some seat time over the next year at test/tune days and not worry about finding a Kid Kart with an LO206.

Now that I have purchased the Kart, looked at parts cost and thought about my preference for 4-cycle engines versus 2-cycle engines I am contemplating selling the new Comer 50 that came with the Kart and installing a Briggs Lo206.   If I do this and Kid Kart leagues do form I will be set and I will also be able carry the engine up through the more active JR/Cadet leagues as he gets older.  My questions that I cannot seem to find the answers to:

1) From a $$$ side of things and my limited knowledge it appears I might be able to do a Comer 50 to Lo206 conversion for an almost break-even  price (Or within a few $$)  assuming I get decent price for the Comer 50.  I am a hopefully competent auto and aircraft mechanic so wrenching cost are not an issue.

2) Will a Briggs LO206 have the same mounting pattern as a Comer 50?  If not, what is involved to make this happen?   A adapter mount of some type?   Welding/Fab skills required?

3) Will I need a new spur/drive gear?

Basically I am looking to get an idea of what other items I will need to consider in order to due the conversion and think the time to do this may be now as I would believe a new Comer 50 may bring in more now than selling it used a few years from now.    I suspect I will have a few challenges due to metric to US conversion issues, but am not sure.  Thanks in advance for the help.

David Cole
    Keymaster

Hi Tim, first off check your private message.

Regarding the cost to convert, you may actually make money. Looking at CometKartSales.com, a new Comer is around $985. You can get a LO206 package from FasterMotors.net for under $600.

You will have to buy a few things, as listed on their site, including a motor mount that will fit the LO206 and the Kid Kart chassis. Which could have you break even depending on what you sell the Comer for.

I’m sure you will have to buy a new rear sprocket, if that’s what you are asking. It will be dependent on what drive gear comes with the LO206 clutch, and what type of chain you will be using.

I’m guessing your racing at NOLA? The guys at the shop there will be able to get you going in the right direction.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor

Tim Tittelbach
    Participant

Thank You!   Looks like allot of fitment issues and not worth the trouble at this time.   Another newbie question related to the 12 Degree Engine mount.   Where does the “Degree” part come in?   Is the engine be mounted at a certain inclination for space reasons?

Howie Idelson
    Participant

Have you checked out the Honda GXH50 kid kart package? It bolts on to the comer mount. It’s a great motor. We run the class at LAKC with great success. The motor comes with everything you need to bolt on and go.

David Cole
    Keymaster

Tim, the LO206 engine is a spec package, so I would suggest hitting up the kart shop where you are at to get specifics and help with getting the engine to fit on the kart, along with the adjustments you can make to the engine. They are pretty much bolt on and go, right out of the box.

The degree mounts angle the engine. It helps when you change the engine oil, other than that, I haven’t had much difference from a flat angle to a 12degree angle.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor

Tim Tittelbach
    Participant

Yes, NOLA Motorsports Park is/will be my home track.   I visited them a few days before the Rotax Nationals and got hooked and reminded of a wish to get my kids into the sport.   I talked with them before purchasing the kart to hash out a rough “entry” plan for my son but I did not talk to much tech with them.  They were great and I certainly will give them a call.

I did look into the Honda GXH50 and really like it.   Only thing is my local track does not sanction this engine as the do the Briggs.   Looking forward and possibly having 2 kids running karts my thought was to carry up the LO206 through a class or two to help keep cost down.

Still soaking a lot of tech info on the subject and appreciate the input.  Cannot wait to get to the track. Tim

Brian Degulis
    Participant

Tim I think your on the right track . I would sell the comer while it’s still brand new. I’ve never understood why a kid kart needs a $1000 2 stroke engine. The Briggs is definetly the way to go and it sounds like your skill set is more than enough to get one fitted on your kart.

When I started my youngest I wasn’t concerned about racing I just wanted him to get seat time. I adapted a Honda GX160. It was simple I bought an engine bought a clutch sproket etc bent the seat struts a little to the left and got it going. I left the governer in place so I could control his speed. It worked out great. Low cost low maintance and very easy for a child to control.

Brian

Rob Kozakowski
    Participant

I’d swap it out.

The LO206 is a great package.  At kid kart speeds, the already near-bullet proof engine won’t be stressed at all, and you can grow with it as you move to Cadets, etc.

The change-over should be easy.

Go to your kart shop and buy a Junior LO206 (it should come with air filter, pipe, silencer, clutch and fuel pump).  It might come with some fuel line too.  Get the shop to add a chain guard, and a mount that will fit your kid kart chassis.  That will be the “core” of your engine package.

I think you’ll need to buy and install a fuel tank and some fuel hose (if hose not included) – not a big deal.  Talk to the kart shop about it if you’re unsure what to get or how to install.  I would also buy some pipe wrap – it helps prevent burns.

Then you might need: chain, sprocket, throttle cable – if these can’t be carried over from what you have.

If the engines are brand new, there might even be shops willing to swap packages +/- a little cash.

The only downside to a LO206 on a kid kart is the physical size of the LO206 compared to the Comer 50 or a little Honda.  It looks a little out of place, but I wouldn’t let that stop me.

James McMahon
    Participant

Unless I had a 206 knocking around, I dont think I’d buy one for the purposes of a kid kart. Even a clone from boxstockproject might be a better way to go if you are OK with something that heavy/big.

The GX50 is gathering steam and in terms of parity it’s not hard to beat the comer!

Lawrence Doty
    Participant

If the local track is running the L206 then that is what I would set-up for my kid(s).

While it may seam like a lot of work to a new karter to switch from a 2cycle to a 4 cycle it’s really not. AND You will learn a lot about the chassis doing the work yourself.

Changing an axel, for the first time, at the track, between heats…with a very young driver watching you…hoping that you can get it changed in time…isn’t fun!  Been there done that…

Troy V Smith
    Participant

Tim – if you are going to run NOLA (as I am) – the only option you are going to have for the little ones is the 206 or a Rotax package.  We ran a Senior 206 a couple years ago with very little interest in the class, but since last year, the support has greatly expanded along with the interest.  It is by far going to be the largest class this year and will provide far more participation, resources and support than available for the Comer.

Not sure where you’re at, but I am in Morgan City.  We can certainly get together and get you on track with your needs.  Considering your home track, and resources locally, I would suggest the jump to the 206.  Jump on the NOLA forum too –

We may not be the fastest on the track...but we're having the most fun!
    https://www.facebook.com/wearekarters

Tim Tittelbach
      Participant

Once again…thanks.  Lawrence, great point.  Troy – I am in Hammond.   I just jumped into the karting world a couple of weeks ago after wanting to do so for a while.  I have decided to convert over to the 206 based on all some great advice and long research.  I will  certainly look you up and get on the NOLA forum.  I plan to get down to the track on a test and tune day sometime in later January.  Timt

Matt Dixon
    Participant

Tim

On a side note, I started racing my son 10 years ago as a 4 year old kid karter. It has been the greatest experience with the extremes of ups and downs. But as a freshmen now in high school the young man he has become, becuase of racing and his love for it, is amazing.

Good luck, have fun and the life lessons and skills he will take from this sport will make your kids better people.

I know I will never forget the days at the track with my boy and I am sure he won’t either.

94y

Walt Gifford
    Participant

I hope it fits, you might need a fancy off set mount. You’re fighting the clutch V seat strut and blower housing V tire.

You’ll have to get accessories that will add to the cost. 12 degree mount, maxotorque clutch, #35 chain and gears, throttle plate, fuel pump, floor mounted tank, header, filter cup, air filter, chain guard, cheater cam shaft. I’m sure I’m forgetting something. You’ll have to pull the axle off. Make sure you have a keyway for the left hand drive.

If the kart’s in running condition I’d just run it like that until the class picks up.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Walt Gifford
    Participant

The mount tilts the engine up in the back for clearance on the axle bearings ect.

The Comer is pretty much gas and go. No valves to adjust or oil to change. I’d at least wait to see what your club is doing next year before you jump into another engine package. I’ve got quite a few engines in my basement I can’t race anywhere and have almost no resale value.

If you get the 4 stroke I’d check the torque on the rod bolts and get a good aftermarket side cover gasket before you run it.

here’s a link you might like http://karting.4cycle.com/forumdisplay.php?9-Briggs-OHV

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Howie Idelson
    Participant

I believe that the Honda will take over as the motor of (most Sanctioning bodies and clubs) choice. LAKC is a good case study at one of the biggest clubs in the US–it’s a hit! Comer has ben dropped.  It’s a huge improvement on every level and takes the engine builder out of the picture, its bullet proof. The motor is sealed from HRC, everything is spec. LAKC also runs a claiming rule. It’s what a kid kart class is all about. learning to race not learning that if dad spends more I win.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.