Home Forums General Karting Discussion New to karting

Tagged: 

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  russ Jolly 4 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Jessica Little
    Participant

I am new to karting was just wondering I have a motor like this on the iame, not sure what one just looks like this one. Was wondering if anyone knew what class this motor runs in at NJMP.

http://www.iame.it/en/products/iame-karting-.html?section=motor&id=32&pass=si

David Cole
    Keymaster

Hi Jessica,

Welcome to the sport. That engine is not used in North America from what I understand. What age group are you looking at, as that will determine what category you can compete in at NJMP. Here are their rules for 2014.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor

Jessica Little
    Participant

I am 25, I tried to figure out what class but not really sure.  The guy we bought the kart off of said he raced at NJMP And englishtown, he gave us 3 motors and 2 looked like that motor on the previous comment.

David Cole
    Keymaster

First off, take a photo of the engines. That will help. Some motors look similar, so that may not be your engine.

Second, at your age, you have the following classes you can compete in: Senior Max, DD2, TaG Senior, Shifter, Yamaha Super Can, Yamaha Pipe, Briggs Animal Senior, Briggs World Formula.

Since you are new, I would suggest looking into the Briggs World Formula. There seems to be a good following in the Northeast area with that engine.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor

Jessica Little
    Participant

Hey gif yeah that actually looks more like the motor we have. I guess that’s something I can still run in an open class.. We are only looking at track time right now it’s a big transition from running micro sprints haha.. Not looking to compete anytime soon. Thanks!

Walt Gifford
    Participant

The main thing about a used kart is to make sure the brakes work. I think NJMP opens next week, maybe I’ll see you out there.

Gif

P.S. If you’re into micro sprints perhaps you know my good friend Dave Orange. I sometimes do custom machine work for him.

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Jessica Little
    Participant

Well we most likely won’t make the upcoming practice day.. The car is not running yet. We  still need a battery for the starter, the gear don’t line up with the motor, my dad has to adjust the peddles because I’m a little too short, we don’t know the oil mix and fuel to use… So much stuff

oh and yes Dave orange he did my 600 motors on my micro he’s a good friend with my dad. I don’t know if you ever heard of BK Sheetmetal that’s my dad.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

You can just use high test from the gas station or racing gas, just don’t run it on methanol or use any nitro additives.

Any high quality 2 stroke racing oil like Klotz (Benol) or Blendzall (green label) will be ok and mix it 8 ounces per gallon.

Gif

Arie Ouimet
    Participant

Hi Jessica,

I have worked with NJMP over the past few years to help customers who wish to either get involved in the sport of karting, or hone their skills to get the very last bit out of their equipment.

The racing scene in the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast region is surprising large and there are a lot of options when it comes to where and what you race. Its very easy to say do this or do this, race this, race that…. so please contact me and we can chat about what options you have in equipment, and also facilities to race at. Not to mention the cost of it all!

Shoot me a message at: ArieOuimet@gmail.com

I look forward to hearing from you!

Arie

Kevin McHale
      Participant

I’m in the same boat as far as the upcoming season goes.  I’m thinking mostly about senior Rotax, but have heard a lot of good things about other classes.  How is turnout for Rotax at NJMP?

russ Jolly
    Participant

if its for sure a TAG kart then i would assume its some sort of IAME

However the domed shaped head is reminiscent of the HPV 100.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Hi Jessica, I live in south jersey close to NJMP so, if you live down here maybe I could be a mentor as I have helped many people from time to time.

There is no Briggs World Formula anywhere around here. There was one guy many years ago but I haven’t seen him around lately. You might possibly have an ICA reed engine which was popular several years ago but has since died out.

You have a few options. You can run any engine at any event in the open class. This is a run what you brung type of thing and not serious head to head competition. You can also come out for practice days at NJMP almost any day of the week and pretty much have the track to yourself. Both are good ways to learn the sport.

If you want to get into a real race without breaking the bank I would suggest getting a used Yamaha KT100 and run in the Sr. Sportsman class at Englishtown. Please feel free to PM.

Gif

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.