Home Forums Shifter Karts Need advice – Chain and chain breaker for my CRG CR125 shifter

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Dave Rosenthal 4 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Dave Rosenthal
    Participant

Greetings all,

I noticed my chain has a small kink in it so I plan to replace it. I bought my Kart used and didn’t get much advice on it in the chain area. Anyway, here are my questions:

– There is no master link so I know I need to break the chain – should I replace it with the same setup (ie. no master link)?
    – What is the preferred chain replacement? The Kart sale came with a “gold” chain but I wasn’t sure if it was good or not (it was new in a bag, nothing else)
    – So, where do I find a cheap chain breaker (#428 right?) and should I invest in the nice, three screw or is a single fine

If you have a chain breaker and want to sell it I am very interested as I don’t want to drop $50 on one as I don’t run every weekend like many folks here.

Thanks for the advice on the above 3 items.

DaveR

PS – I only run one track (New Castle Motor Sports near Indy) so I won’t chain sprockets for other tracks etc, …thx

Paolo Nunzio Licary
    Participant

I’d suggest using the master link. If you do end up changing gearing frequently keeping a couple different length chains for when you do gear changes makes it so you don’t have to move the motor very much, which changes your f/r weight balance, though not much. Just make sure you keep it oiled and put the clip with the closed end leading and replace the master and clip after a half dozen or so removals and reinstalls. Never had a master link or clip failure in 10 years.

Greg Lindahl
    Participant

Paolo’s advice is solid.

If you want to be extra certain the clip doesn’t part company, you can wrap a small safety wire loop around the clip and side link.  Motorbike racers that use this style repair link (125 GP) sometimes use a small dab of black RTV on the clip and side link.

Dave Rosenthal
    Participant

Thanks for the advice on using a master link (and safety wiring). Any advice on a chain or should I invest in the nice three screw or will a single get it done?

Thanks again all,
    DaveR

Paolo Nunzio Licary
    Participant

I’ve only used the 3 screw design. Not sure about anything else. It will last practically forever though.

Dave Rosenthal
    Participant

Paolo,

Thanks again for the quick response. I hate parting with $50 when $20 might work, but in this case I like the idea of having it work whenever I need it. As for chains, my take is a good $25/$30 of any brand will work.

Thanks again,
    DaveR

James O’Brien
    Participant

Best 428 chain available? You’ll probably get about 4 answers, but most will tell you DID ER is the best.

http://www.shop.eshifterkart.com/DID-HD-428NZ-X-60-ER-Gold-and-Black-Chain-DID428NZ60G.htm

www.eshifterkart.com

Dave Rosenthal
    Participant

James,

THANKS – I appreciate the guidance here. Thanks,
    Dave

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.