Home Forums TaG MyLaps Kart Transponder Flashing Red

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Sean S
      Participant

Hi guys,
      I’ll try to make this as short as possible with the most info as I can.

I used to rent transponders but finally decided to save some $ and purchase one. I purchased a MyLaps FLEX Kart Transponder from a guy on here over the winter. I plugged it in, charged it and was blinking green 4x, also would hold for roughly that amount of time. I would discharge and charge per the manual online. I just tried to charge it last Thursday and now it was blinking solid red, left it on for 2 days and it was still blinking red. I downloaded the MyLaps software and plugged the cradle into my computer, left it until it said “fully charged” and still was blinking red in and out of the charger. I just read online that it will blink red out of the cradle if the transponder is “not activated”. I looked at the software and it said it was “not active” and out of date as of Jan or Feb 2015. I’m not sure what “activated” means and there is no documentation on what “activating” does for me.

It seems that I would also need to re-register in my name, which is another $43, plus the activation/subscription fee of $64/1yr, $111/2yr, or $221/5yr. All the crap on the website seems confusing and misleading. Do you really need to reregister and activate it to use the transponder for club and WKA events? It would be cool to see my own times registered to my name, but that is a lot of money on top of the money I spent for the used transponder already. Can I still use it as a regular old transponder while blinking red, even though the software/cradle says that it is fully charged or will it not trip the loop? Did I get burned by purchasing a used, out of date transponder? Can anyone fill me in?

Thanks

Tony Kart / Leopard

Ric mcDade
      Participant

A “flex” transponder is a “leased” transponder from Aim. Yes, you have to pay the “lease” fee for it to work. You will have to call them to see if you can pay the “second year” fee, instead of first year, which is more. Yea, kinda got sold a bill of goods, in a way.

Sean S
      Participant

Ughh… thanks for the update Ric. I was reading for hours about these the other night and your answer just confirmed it. I’ve read so many articles/forums online and I’m just as angry as everyone else about the new lease program transponders, along with the crappy website. Since I now have a flashing red paperweight that the guy from here decided not to say anything besides “transponder for sale”, I’m currently finding a way to crack it.

A transponder “should” be a simple device, transmitting a certain frequency signal to a receiver (loop/timing system). If a track is still using the old loop hardware (AMB 160 and up) and software for timing, the subscription shouldn’t matter, should it? There has to be a way to reset the internal clock or flash it back to it’s original settings. The thing was never connected online, so there would have to be an internal clock to set off the red flashing subscription expiration date of 1, 2, or 5 years. If anyone has any thoughts about this and is equal or a few steps ahead of me, please let me know. Reading into it more before splitting the thing open.

Tony Kart / Leopard

Sean S
      Participant

Perfect example

Tony Kart / Leopard

Ric mcDade
      Participant

My opinion, and it’s worth every penny your going to send me:), is to call my laps and try to pay the $63. I just did last night. On the other side, for that transponder to have ever worked, it would of had to have been plugged in to a computer at some point to activate it. Go to the website, and open an account, to where it will eventually ask for the transponder number, and enter it, and see what it says. My guess is a chip, and a code that they input, of which you wouldn’t have. Bypass the memory chip, and your in business, but, then you live with cheating a company that did nothing to you. :( Me- I would call, explain, and talk them into letting you renew. Remember, that gives you insurance also. Good luck!!

Sean S
      Participant

Thanks Ric!

I’ve had an account ever since I’ve been renting AMB transponders to check my results. I’ve been to the site, typed in the number and says it’s incorrect since it’s not registered to my name, which would be another $43. I downloaded the software and it says “not activated, click here to purchase a subscription”.

I don’t see how paying a hefty subscription every few years is worth it for a little yellow box that puts out a radio frequency, AFTER that little yellow box has been purchased for $170+. I look at it as them cheating me since they provide nothing, except keeping that red light from flashing. It’s like buying a new car and then after 1-2 years of owning it, {insert manufacture} remotely kills the car and says “pay us $XXX or your car won’t work anymore”. All AMB, now MyLaps are doing is further monopolizing on a market they they have cornered years ago, only because EVERYONE has AMB/MyLaps and the tracks have the loops and software (before there were subscriptions). Companies have been doing this with phones, electronics and PC games over the years, so that’s why this gets me a bit irritated. You buy it, but you still don’t own it.

Thanks for the response Ric, but could you elaborate how and why you think a subscription based transponder is worth it to you? Maybe I’m missing something… Are there any features besides checking your times online?
      Check this company out. http://www.westhold.com/products_timing.html
      Kart transponder, 3 year battery life and replaceable for $99, no subscription.

Tony Kart / Leopard

Ric mcDade
      Participant

Well, that’s another whole can of worms. Leasing has been and always will be a prevalent part of the retail world. Year before last, I got sick, wasn’t sure how long I had left with karting. I can rent a transponder at our events, for like $7 a weekend, but always forget to turn it in, end up shipping it back, and now I’m like $20 into it. I decided to get my own,so I didn’t have to worry about remembering. My choices were, about $350 to buy one, $200-250 to buy used, Or about $100, to lease a new one, With Insurance. Not knowing if I had a year, 2, 3 left racing, leasing seemed to be the best option. I think you paying $170, for something a guy really didn’t own, was your problem. I still think that if you called Mylaps, explained you got screwed, my bet is they help you. It’s no more wrong than leasing a car, house, apt. You never own those either. As far as the $, for nothing more than a signal, I feel ya. Feel the same way every month when I pay my cell bill, all for just a signal, that I never own!

Ric mcDade
      Participant

Sorry, didn’t answer your question. It does more than just letting me look up lap times. It’s the only way they score me at the races, so it is a necessity.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.