Home Forums Tech Talk Mychron GPS

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Larry Andrews 4 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Gregg Hall
    Participant

Hello,

I AM LOOKING AT BUYING A GPS UNIT AND WAS WONDERING HOW GOOD/EASY THEY ARE TO USE? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT.

Ray Lovestead
    Participant

Hi,

IT’S AN AWESOME TOOL.  IT’S AS EASY AS CONNECTING IT TO THE MYCHRON 4 AND JUST DRIVING AROUND.  THEN YOU DOWNLOAD IT (NEED THE KEY) AND CAN REVIEW ALL SORTS OF DATA (YOUR DRIVING LINE, LATERAL ACCELERATION, ETC.)

"Karting Expert Since 2015"

Mike Clark
    Participant

The only thing I have heard negative (from 1 person) is it eats the battery in the mychron. Is that true?

I’d swap out a 9v battery for good info anytime.

Ray Lovestead
    Participant

A single 9V will last for a day or two of driving.  So $2 a day to use it.  There are hooks on the extension box that comes with it to put in a larger battery, but so far I’ve not found replacing the battery to be that big of a deal.

Ray

"Karting Expert Since 2015"

Alan Michel
    Participant

Buy it.  you won’t regret it.

Battery:  as Ray said..     not a big deal.   One 9V lasts me around 9-12 sessions.    I used one batterty for the first 3 days of Supernats, one for the last 2 just to be safe :)

Jim Russell, Jr
    Participant

It is a fantastic tool for helping to improve your driving and setup of the chassis. Works really well if you have team mates you can share data with to compare against.

Plan on 1 new 9V battery per race weekend. We have found the Werker batteries to hold up the best for power and vibration.

Eric Stockford
    Participant

hey All ,

Got the GPS for Christmas.

The manual doesn’t say anything about a secondary battery but it comes with leads?

Do i need to run a secondary battery?

Can i use it with just the 9 V?

What does it take for a secondary battery?

Any help would be great, heading to Daytona tomorrow,  so looking for answers

Eric

Matt Dixon
    Participant

Just take 3or 4 9volts to Daytona and you will be fine.

94y

Larry Andrews
    Participant

The lithium 9V batteries last a lot longer than alkaline.

I use a pack of 6 AA lithium batteries taped up behind the nassau and connected to those leads and rarely need to think about batteries anymore.  <shrug>

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-9V-6x-AA-Size-Battery-Holder-Box-Case-With-Cover-ON-OFF-Switch-Wire-Lead-/190997531270

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.