Home Forums Road Racing Mike Roncke Recovering

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Tom
      Participant

Those of you who raced at MIS this weekend probably know that Mike Roncke hit the wall while running in Race 1. Mike was in a lot of pain and was transported to Allegiance Hospital in Jackson. I am happy to report that Mike is going to be fine. He took a hard lick for sure and has a lot of back pain. However the doctors report there are no fractures and no spinal damage so that is great news. Mike’s wife Jeanette drove to Jackson to be with him so he will be in good hands.

Please send Mike your best wishes via this forum.

thanks,

Tom Disch

David Cole
      Keymaster

Thanks Tom. Great news.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor

Jeremy Baldi
      Participant

Glad to hear Mike is recovering.  We thought there was a red flag at the end of the race but weren’t sure. Any idea were he hit the wall and what was the cause?  I always like to try and learn from any accident especially one when someone was injured.  Whether it be a failure, mistake or just an accidental racing incident there is almost always something to learn from or to watch out for in the future.

Hope Mike continues to recover and gets back to racing soon.

-Jeremy

Jeremy Baldi

Jim Fry
      Participant

Get well soon Mike!!

Jeff Wesell
      Participant

Thank You for the update Tom and all.  Great to hear Mike is doing well.   :)

Streeter Super Stands
      "Roll with The Best!"
      streetersupertands.com

Cliff Brannon
      Participant

Talked to Mike on the phone just a few minutes ago.  He is home and doing well.  He wanted to thank everyone for their help and support.

B-Stock
      Formula100

Colm O’Higgins
      Participant

During Race 1 and after 30 minutes had passed (we were supposed to be flagged off but as there was no flag most of us kept going) I came down into Turn 1 at very high speed and a kart was against the wall on my left with the driver Mike Roncke inside, struggling.

Barely enough room to get by.  Passed that with a fearful face as no one was on the scene, no Yellows.  Expecting a Red flag soon I raised my arm and slowed.

On the next lap, the 2nd pass, he was STILL THERE   Trying to get untangled from his kart and equipment.

The ambulance was still not moving as I entered the infield and it seemed as they did not even know.  Many of us were waving to them.

On the 3rd pass he was  STILL THERE.   Some people were waving to slow us down. Vintage racer John Copeland went straight on at Turn 1 to a Marshall’s post and along with Don Axe and Keelie Fritz-Mann and others ran to assist the now arriving ambulances and crews.   Drivers are often not qualified to provide medical help.

Finally a Red flag.  After the 3rd pass.

Ron Taylor, President of MKC emailed me last evening to say that he would find out what happened and moreover why it took so long, over 4 minutes, to raise the alarm.

Keelie’s camera has it all.

We await MKC’s report.  Thankfully Mike Roncke is basically okay, but lucky.

Colm O’Higgins
      Participant

Ron Taylor, President of Michigan Kart Club,  emailed me yesterday to provide follow up to the Mike Roncke incident at Turn 3 during Race 1 on Sunday.

He reported that a thorough interview was undertaken by the Race Officials with the marshals that were at that location.  From a racers perspective someone was misplaced or was watching the wrong direction for way too long.  It happened and Mike is fortunate this time.

It should never happen again, and I am speaking about the delay in reacting to a kart that was into the wall at the entrance to Turn 3 for over 2 complete laps.

Ron said that MKC will…

…”re-position the Marshal’s Station much closer to the racing line near the entrance to the chicane area and including a safety barrier for the Flagman.  Second, there will be another Marshal’s Station very near the Turn 3 apex to avoid any delay in removing disabled karts from the racing line and to provide a second track status indicator to inform racers of track onditions”.

Good work Ron & MKC.  All of us are thankful for the work you do in the preparation of this prestigious event.

Looking forward to 2014 !!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.