Home Forums Road Racing Michigan Kart Club at Michigan Intl Speedway

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • Author
      Dan Rudd
      Participant

There’s still a couple days left to pre-register for Michigan International Speedway for Sept 13-15.

If you made this event last year you know just how nice the track and facilities are and you won’t want to miss it this year.

Pre-registration will help speed you through registration at the track as well as give you a better position on the grid not to mention save you money !!!

The track was resurfaced last year and is a kart racers dream. There are still some garages available as well as preferred parking close to the garages, pits and grid. Camping for both RV’s and tents is available on the infield next to the garages/pits.

Go to michkartclub.com for complete information and registration.

Thanks,

Dan

Chris
      Participant

Everyone requested Friday practice so it is available this year. Come on out and enjoy lots of track time. Support  club racing.

Phil Kish
      Participant

Looking forward to Friday practice.  Should be a low key day with more than ample track time.  Even the weather is looking cooperative! Francie and I’ll have our Tags there.

Phil

Chris
      Participant

Anyone wanting to help with track pick up see Chris. I will be in the big gray GMC pulling a car hauler.

Thanks!

Glen Luening
      Participant

Has the turn into the infield off the oval be re shaped.

Colm O’Higgins
      Participant

Glen, I did not have any great issue with the turn you mention.  As far as I know it will be the same.  More worrisome to me is the final turn from the Infield onto the Oval.  It has a bad bump in transition and the concrete wall looms ominously.  MKC is considering either cones, ‘no passing zone’, or soft protection as per my suggestions.  None are promised yet.

I will be assisting in Pre Race Safety and competing in Saturday and Sunday Vintage.

See you there !!

Jeremy Baldi
      Participant

Here is a vid from last years event if anyone wants to see the track layout.

I didn’t have a problem with the layout but some braking markers coming off the oval would be helpful.  Any safer barriers would also be welcome anywhere because they are way better than concert.  The only other thing for the team setting up is to make sure you have a mychron pick up out and angled to match the banking.  No mychron beacon was out last year and when a driver finally put one out it was hard to get the karts to pick it up because of the angle of the track.

As for any shifters I was getting into first gear twice (getting off oval and turn 3 in the infield) which is a little tough on the gears so be prepared.

Jeremy Baldi

Glen Luening
      Participant

Well, my main concern is the turn gong into the infield. If you get tangle up with someone there it is going to hurt. the speeds that we were coming into there with are very high and some brake markers or even wider would be good. And I agree the re-entry to the oval was a bit rough but you could find an decent line that wasn’t to bad. But if nothing is going to be done there I think I am going to skip it even though it was fun running last year.

Colm O’Higgins
      Participant

Bill Anderson of MKC say to me that they are seriously listening to us and our input.

Especially useful would be braking markers coming into Turn 1 and a little wider too.  MKC are also looking at the driver’s exposure at the re-entry onto the oval where the concrete wall looms ominously.

If you have a specific suggestion email Bill.  Thanks

Dan Rudd
      Participant

The entrance from the infield onto the oval will be reconfigured to lessen the angle and eliminate the bump.

Chris
      Participant

There were braking markers last year at the entrance to the infield. Probably have to make them bigger. MKC is listening. That’s why the Friday practice but it is very expensive so we need participation to make it work.

Glen Luening
      Participant

To me it is not a matter of brake markers. It is the fact that the track narrows so much there. If you were to get tangle with someone under braking or whatever it may be. There is a very good possibility that someone is going into the concrete wall. I would suggest a reconfiguration of the corner angle. Maybe move the inside cones closer to the inside and maybe put cones to move drivers away from wall.

I am speaking of this from experience I did lock up there last year in practice and was fortunate to spin the opposite way of wall.

Robert Lawson
      Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Chris wrote:</div>There were braking markers last year at the entrance to the infield. .

Really?????

I asked multiple times for them to put disposable cups through the holes in the fencing at intervals. Something! Anything!!! to let us know where the damn turn was! There was a white line painted down the track but it was very difficult to see it. Other than that…..yeah there were makers alright……about 100 of them brightly colored ORANGE!!!!!

RPM

Jeremy Baldi
      Participant

I went back and watched my video (as well as other karters) multiple times and had a really hard time finding any brake markers.  I guess there are three 6″x6″ squares starting about 300 feet from the apex of the cones.  But if you started braking there you would have no chance of making the corner.

Like Robert mentioned the white line running across the track that is probably 500 plus yard out of the apex is when you need to start braking (at least in a F125).  But that is when you have to start braking since you are going from over 100mph down to about 20mph.  So if MKC is adding bigger brake markers make sure you go all the way out to that white line.

Jeremy

Jeremy Baldi

Dan Rudd
      Participant

We are always looking at ways to improve the track layout as well as keep it as safe as possible.

When turn 3 (transition from oval to infield) was designed, consideration was given to the fact karts would be coming off a 3/4 mile stretch of wide open throttle and turning sharply into the infield. It was decided to create the turn in such a manner as to slow the karts considerably before entering the infield and giving those who were not able to slow enough room to safely run off. If you were to straighten turn 3 you have the entire back stretch of the oval to regain control and get back racing again.

When setting up the track this Thursday we will look at the turn discuss whats been talked about here and see if there are ways to improve it.

As for the brake markers, we will look into what we can do to improve those as well.

Dan

Dan Rudd
      Participant

On another note, Bill has enabled Race Monitor for the MIS Fall Classic. This is a phone app which allows you to monitor scoring, times etc. Bill says it can give you real time results as they’re seen by scoring. I see it can be loaded through the App Store for $4.99 as well as other places I’m sure.

For all those tech minded racers I’m sure this will be cool addition to your pits.

And for the weather

Sunny and mid to upper 60’s. You just can’t beat that!

Fran
      Participant

don’t lose your connections to those that control the weather!

ya done great so far, got fingers crossed!

Mike Arnold
      Participant

Is there wireless service at the track?

Also, is the time to get in Thur. night 4pm to 7pm ?

Thanks,

Mike

Chris
      Participant

Mike there is secured wireless only as far as I know. We should be set up to open the Rt. 12 entrance by 4 PM and stay open untill 7 PM Thursday for trailer drop off. No tunnel entrance. 3 day pit pass. I think Registration will also be open.

Robert Lawson
      Participant

Dan,

Not harping on the set-up itself, we all understand why it was done. MANY of us pleaded with Lisa and the Director to put SOMETHING out there with no result. Cones or cups, poked through the fencing from the outside, or even brightly colored duct tape strips on the fencing, at equal intervals, will give us some type of reference point.

In the AM the sun at that point is blinding, the afternoon is only slightly better.

I went straight through it twice, no issue turning around but hitting a cone at that speed is, well….you get the idea.

Thanks for looking into it.

RPM

Jeremy Baldi
      Participant

Any chance we could get in later than 7:00pm?  We should be close to getting there by 7:00 but if we hit traffic or have any road issues it is going to be very tight.

Jeremy Baldi

Dan Rudd
      Participant

Good Morning Robert,

We will be putting something up as brake markers. I have been talking to Ron and Bill over the last day and we will have something up and it should be as visible as possible. We have had other requests for something easy to see at high speed so we plan to have it in place.

Jeremy,

I’ll have to check on that. We are governed by MIS as to when people must be in or out. They are very strict. I’ll find out and let you know.

Thanks,

Dan

Glen Luening
      Participant

Are rear bumpers required? I see that there is no G125 class like last year? This is a RVKC class.

Jeremy Baldi
      Participant

Just got home and want to throw a thanks out to MKC for a great time.  Had lots of track time and even though some still didn’t like turn 3 I thought the improvements and break markers were a big improvement and all in all it was a pretty good turn.

Had a great race for the lead going on with Robert Lawson for the first 15 mins of the sat f-125 race until my chain fell off. Really bummed because we were having a great battle and it probably lasted the whole race and would have been a blast. But I did a 1:24:2 in sun practice which I was pretty stoked about so that made up a little for the race failure.

Thanks again for a fun weekend.

-Jeremy Baldi

Jeremy Baldi

Mike Arnold
      Participant

My first race at MIS and with MKC.  It was a well run program and they did a good job of getting us plenty of track time.   The track layout was good and turn 3 was great.  I liked it and the brake markers worked well and were easy to see.

Changes if there could be any would be to add some curbs to the apex. to keep us out of the ruts and off the grass.  Smooth out the transistion back onto the oval.  There was good spots at each side of the transition but if you went up in the middle of the lane it was a little rough.  It took a couple of laps to figure it out.  Not a terrible thing just 2 improvements to make.

Great Event and I hope it survives for next year and gains a bigger turn out.

Mike

Fran
      Participant

Phil & I had a BLAST!   

LOTS of track time indeed!  We were down an engine, so not as much as we COULD have enjoyed, but that’s racing!  Must thank my wrench (yeah YOU hubby) for getting me out there much of Friday! 

& I’d like to thank Bob Cole for teaching me all necessary nuances for enduro starts, AND trading off grid support. It’s difficult to have some fun AND have a volunteer role, only possible with enough help. THANKS Bob for making it a coordinated effort!

Surface was great, MIS (staff & support) were wonderful & MANY thanks to our Fire Departments for manning our corners. Truly a plus, especially as we even needed your skills on Sunday. Hope all is well there –

Thanks to the rest of the MKC team, I will totally chime Dan’s msg earlier.

& GLAD to hear from all of you that attended & enjoyed –

Keep fingers crossed for next year!

Fran Kish

Mike Arnold
      Participant

When will Mylaps be up?

Thanks,

Mike

Johnny West
      Participant

We had a good time. Thank you MKC.

Will you be posting mylaps?

West Racing
      Johnny West

Dan Rudd
      Participant

I’m told the results have been up since the end of last week. I hear with Mylaps new format the results are list by event start date.

This should get you there.

http://www.mylaps.com/en/events/958085

Dan

Robert Lawson
      Participant

Hope everyone made it back home safely!

Bit of a bummer to see the shy turn-out. The Club booked the extra day for practice and yet the participation didn’t meet the expectation. That sucks!!!!!

What a nice place, when the new garages are built it will be that much better. Not complaining, our garage was good. Close to everything and could hear announcements clearly. Met a host of new guys all around us in the garages and had quite a good time motivating and helping each other. A brave few hung around after hours and got just a hint of how the veteran road racers…….unwind!!!! Very cool to see, meet and hang out with new first time road racers. Makes you feel that there is still hope for us after all.

The track was exactly as we left it last year. Little change to the infield entrance, nice big markers made it much more comfortable. Didn’t notice any change to speak of at the exit of the infield but its very wide there and easy to pass and find a relatively smooth line.

Plenty of guys off the track on Friday, the track sweepers got some overtime for sure! The weather was not nearly as bad as first thought, Friday morning was a bit cold but was manageable for me by lunch break. Saturday was perfect racing weather, clear sunny sky’s and what felt like 70’s temps. Sunday was ok too. MKC did a good job condensing so all the classes could run before the expected rain. Just some drops here and there, nothing to stop the program.

Only down side was the turn around between practice groups Friday. It was hard to judge when to fire up water cooler engines (a bit chilly) so as not to be too cold or too hot before getting out. We did get a FULL DAY of practice in!!!!

There was just one incident and I don’t want to speculate as to what happened or to whom. In the first race Sunday the EMT’s had to head out to the coned area of the oval. Couldn’t tell what happened from the roof of the suites but the person was brought to the infield care center and then transported out of the speedway. Hope all involved in that are ok and able to continue when feeling better.

We’ve all been to races that were visibly down on numbers and you always wonder if that venue will continue to be available in the future. I certainly hope so!

A (northern) season ending event for all the Clubs up here would be sweet. Leaving today knowing I’m done for the year was a bit depressing but fitting as well. It had a big race feel and some very good races in many classes with close finishes. Love watching a good race no matter the class.

Thanks to Ron, Bill, Chris, all the folks in registration and the pit lane/grid/announcer (can’t remember her name!) they did a good job in the face of a weak turn-out.

I’m ready for next year already!!!!!

RPM

Jeremy, Ditto! Had a blast, learned a thing or 2 about my engine and this time I had good tires! Looking at the inside of my engine after tech made me feel very good about the effort being that rich. Still have not seen 1000 deg of EGT out of this thing yet since going back to fixed jetting. Been on too many high speed lockups this year and still gun shy with tuning. I’m sure lap times will come down even more yet after the infield gets more use. Still, 1:24’s are hustling that thing. Impressive!

Dan Rudd
      Participant

Thanks to all who attended the MKC race at MIS! It was a great time!

As has been mentioned, unfortunately the turn out was down and we’re not exactly sure what to attribute that to. I did hear that there was an event close by for Tags and shifters and of course the uncertainty in the weather always plays a part. As it turned out there was only one light rain issue and it only lasted a few minutes. But if we knew that ahead of time we would all be wealthy meteorologists. The threat of rain did require we condense and adjust our Sunday schedule. As for Saturdays weather, it was Perfect! Sunny and upper 60’s.

Friday practice was great for those who attended and there was no shortage of track time. We were running each group about every 30-45 minutes depending on track pick up etc. If you came on Friday you would have been well prepared for Sat and Sun. My son even skipped a practice session because he was getting tired. How often does that happen?!? Unfortunately the numbers were less that what we needed to make Friday practice cost effective. When planning the event we had far more interest in Friday practice than we had people show up, and MIS track rental comes with a big price tag.

The MIS facility is top notch! As for the track condition we heard nothing but praise. The track surface was a nice as you could ask for. As mentioned, the drop offs in the apex’s of a couple corners were a bit big but we tried to have them all well marked with cones so as nobody got off on one. Maybe we can have those filled up in the future. We focused alot of attention on turn 3 when setting up the track and made a couple adjustments throughout the weekend based on racer feedback. We will continue to try to make it as safe and smooth as possible. We did reconfigure the entrance onto the oval from the infield but found that there was still enough room for racers to follow any line they wanted. Some smooth and some not so smooth.

Ron Taylor, race director, did a great job and I’m sure is looking forward to not worrying about race issues for awhile. Bill Anderson and crew made registration and scoring flow as smooth as possible. We learned a lot from last year and once we ironed out a couple technical hiccups Saturday morning with the help of our IT man, Jim Goodall, things sailed along. Fran Kish handled our grid line up for a very busy practice day and race days and made all the announcement to get the people notified as to where to be and when to be there. It sounds like the PA system issues of last year have been resolved. Frans husband Phil handled our fuel dispensing and helped with safety tech and scales and anything else necessary including helping me with my sons kart.  Nancy and her crew were on top of getting everyone signed in and getting their pit passes at the gate. Chris and crew kept on top of track pick up and got everyone back to the pits when their kart didn’t. And I did the safety tech in between wrenching on my own stuff. Additionally there were many many others, from spouses and kids (I had my daughter making brake markers for turn 3) to friends and neighbors who helped in making this race go off as enjoyably as possible for all involved. Thanks to all!

Next year? We hope so! Keep supporting karting and MKC and we’ll see you next year.

Dan

Colm O’Higgins
      Participant

Michigan Kart Club is the Race of the Year Award winner if I had a vote!  They were pleasant throughout, fair, and helpful.  Plus they deserved a bigger turnout.

Many factors affected the numbers:  school in in, weather fluctuations, a lot of races during the previous weeks, and the price of practice on Friday.

Glad to attend a 2nd year and pray that a 3rd will occur.

The track surface is uber smooth, except for the transition onto the oval from the infield.  Another  improvement needed is BIG brake markers at Turn 1.  YEAH, BIG.  Apex curbing in the Infield would be great too, along with white sideline marking.

And remember that we Vintage drivers get tired at 31 minutes (Sunday there was no 30 minute flag)  Oh well, more track time!

Let’s talk this up and gain some serious numbers for 2014.

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.