Home Forums General Karting Discussion Lubrication

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Joshua Guiher
      Participant

In the process of putting my kart back together for the upcoming season. Last year was our first season and we bought everything race ready.

As I cleaned everything, I realized that most of the heim joints, the spindles, steering bearing, etc had a film of grease/oil/something on them that went away when cleaned. What am I supposed to use on those parts and how often should I be applying it?

Seems to me that something like WD-40 would attract dirt and if not constantly torn apart, cleaned and reassembled would do more harm then good.

Troy Berry
      Participant

I think a lot of us use Tri-Flo for this purpose. Does the trick nicely! Use as needed to keep parts moving freely. It depends on what you clean your moving parts with, but we re- apply whenever things get sticky.

http://www.triflowlubricants.com/

"The Art is in the details"
      BirelArt AM29 LO206
      Intrepid Cruiser KA 100

TJ Koyen

I use Tri-Flow for axle bearings, spindle bearings, steering shaft bearing etc. and never have had an issue. Clean bearings thoroughly between sessions by spraying with brake cleaner or starting fluid, then apply Tri-Flow before you go out each time.

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
      Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
      www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
      www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

Joshua Guiher
      Participant

Brake cleaner seems to mess with the paint on my kart. Does starting fluid do the same or is it a little safer to use? What about carb cleaner?

PS, I’ll be placing that stand order late next week TJ.

TJ Koyen

I always recommend starting fluid first because it doesn’t eat the powdercoat like brake cleaner does. Some people seem to have better access to brake cleaner, that’s the only reason I mention it. But starting fluid is the best, we buy it in cases.

My dad, Tim, is the stand guy. I’m the helmet painter guy. :)

Joshua Guiher
      Participant

Oops, my fault TJ. Thanks again for the info.

Eric Alexander
      Participant

Oooh.. starting fluid.  Good tip!

Curtis Cooksey
      Participant

Molecule makes some good stuff to clean your Kart with: http://www.accelerationkarting.com/molecule.aspx

Motul also makes some cleaners and lubes: http://www.accelerationkarting.com/motul.aspx

I am not sure starting fluid or carb cleaner are good ideas for your health?

TJ Koyen

Curtis,

Can’t be any worse than breathing 2-stroke exhaust fumes for a few pace laps.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.