Home Forums General Karting Discussion Long Hair

This topic contains 19 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Walt Gifford 3 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Walt Gifford
    Participant

How far can hair go out the back of your helmet before it’s a problem at safety tech? Talking about upright sprint karts.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

David Cole
    Keymaster

IMO, there should be NO hair allowed out of the back of your helmet. Persons with long hair should wear a head sock or balaclava to prevent any hair from coming out of the helmet or suit. That should be posted in all karting regulations. I just checked WKA, and did not see it in their driver safety section.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Walt

There have been horrible long hair accidents in the past, where women have lost all the flesh off their faces ( face off ) Tragically there have been a few cases about this issue, and sadly it was always a joy ride, a girl that was invited to try karting, and was never advised or encouraged about the danger of long hair.

David Cole is right, this should be posted in every track, every club, and every rule book, it’s only commune cense. I personally would encourage everyone with long hair, no matter how long it is, to put it on a pony tail, tuck it inside the suit and put on a head sock.

Greg Wright
    Participant

I’ve seen a scalping happen at the track, not something I would ever want to see again. David you may know the one I’m talking about.

Greg Wright
    Rapid Racing Inc.
    Vintage B-Stock Pilot
    "When in doubt Gas it, It won't help but it ends the suspense."

Walt Gifford
    Participant

What about 6 inches, not talking lay down karts. That’s still got to be a good 2 foot from the axle.

Peter Zambos
    Participant

Yep, zilch is the correct number of inches your hair should be outside of your safety gear.
    I believe I was nearby that incident as well.

Debbie Kuntze
    Participant

I agree that NO HAIR should be below the helmet. I have hair down to my waist-it all goes on top of my head before the helmet goes on. I didn’t wear a sock while racing, but had a good way of securing it and it never came down.

Even 6 inches in a sit up-what happens if a seat strut breaks or because of accident head gets thrown too far back. I just wouldn’t take the chance even if a scenario is far fetched. Heck I put it up when playing on indoor karts where I am way above the axels.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Requesting pics.

David Cole
    Keymaster

Walt,

What do you need pictures of? As it has been said, there should be no hair allowed outside of the helmet. Ask Sabre Cook, Ashley Rogero and all the other female drivers. None of them allow their hair to come out of the helmet.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

No need for pictures. These are usually very sad stories, and too graphic

Just take our word for it, and believe us, even if it’s 6 inches long just be smart and protect it. It is not worth the risk, Just like Debbie said (never take chances on that)

Tom Grisham
      Participant

Absolutely no hair should be out of the safety gear.  The last thing I do before firing the kart is a hair check.  Typically if long hair is in a ponytail and tucked into the suit all is good.  However, if even a strand is out (in our case blond) I take my greasy fingers and tuck it back in.

I believe IKF, and likely other organizations, require that no hair be outside the gear.

Should be an immediate black flag if hair ever comes out during a race or practice.

I would think the danger might be as great in the pits around running engines/turning axles so this would be another area to use caution and common sense…

brian downing
    Participant

Only a minimum amount of hair is allowed to be tucked inside the helmet. I can’t recall the exact amount, but its a small amount. Too much hair tucked inside the helmet reduces the efficacy of the helmet’s ability to absorb energy in an impact. I’m certain I’ve seen written regulations but I can remember where.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

What do you do if your hair is too short to ponytail and too long to hide in the helmet? A little might sneak out. Check the Margay pic on kartgirls.com

Gif

George Young
    Participant

Head sock.

johnny brooks
    Participant

2015 WKA Manual, page 25, sec. 115.4:

NOTE: If driver’s hair extends appreciably from beneath helmet, it is MANDATORY that the driver wears a “balaclava” or head-sock to prevent the hair from extending outside helmet. …….

To me, ‘appreciably’ is rather vague, but ‘to prevent the hair from extending outside helmet’ is concise.
    If I was doing pre-tech and suspected someone’s hair of being too long, I’d have ’em put on their helmet and if hair was below the bottom edge of the helmet, tell them to get a sock. If none available, I’d give them my unused spare.

Linda Baldus
    Participant

I’m surprised no one has mentioned the person starting the kart.  I’ve seen people with long hair hanging over the chain while starting someone’s engine and know that to be a hazard too.

I know of at least two people that have gotten their hair caught in the axle of a laydown before the balaclava rule came in.  It wasn’t pretty.

Unfortunately I believe the orgs have gotten kind of complacent about it since there hasn’t been an accident lately.

Keep on kartin'. llb
    Raymore, MO
    lindabaldus@hotmail.com

Debbie Kuntze
    Participant

Brian -I get my helmet’s fitted with the way my hair is put up. Plus, it’s long but not thick.

Linda-in pits my hair is up and under a hat as well-no chances!

In other words I learned my lesson in auto shop many years ago when it got caught in a grinder-quick reflexes saved my scalp-literally!

Steven Peters
    Participant

I most certainly agree with the idea that no hair should extend below the helmet… and if it long enough that it would… a headsock should be worn.

Like Greg, I’ve witnessed it also and after 25 years it seems like it was this past weekend.

Steven Peters
    Team Valhalla Racing

Brian Wilhelm
    Participant

It’s not anything I ever want to see again. Tucking a ponytail down the back of a jacket is NOT adequate. The accident at an Enid, Ok. race was due to a ponytail working it’s way back up out of a jacket. The KART rulebook suggests a hooded t-shirt, and it’s a very good solution. Most folks I’ve seen with them cut them off just below the arms so it’s not too hot. No way your ponytail is getting anywhere near the axle if you are wearing that.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Seriously, nobody else wants to see pics of Debbie’s long hair?

Gif

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.