Home Forums Chassis & Handling Lightweight Chassis

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Paul Hir
      Participant

I am 6’2″ 235lbs so finding the right used chassis with a low budget can be difficult. What makes a chassis Lightweight? is it the tubing material? the components? Are older chassis available Lightweight? In the past Birel seems to be fairly lite, but I thought some of the Italian chassis are produced in the same factory, so shouldn’t they all be lite?

FREDDY SANDOVAL
      Participant

Paul

Generally speaking most Euro karts are a bit lighter, depending on the tubing size and diameter, components can actually ad up a bit too.

I almost wanna say that OTK ( Tony Karts are very light )

Your hight and weight is not that far off from many guys I race with, honestly most guys are at 215, 225, and 230. Many, including myself try to shed 20 to 30 lbs from time to time, with some noticeable success.

Also at 6’2″ tall is not impossible to fit in most karts, I’ve seen bigger guys fitting in no problem, but Margay Brava Limo makes a very suitable kart for taller drivers, and CRG “Big Al ” Is also a very good option, some of the newer Tony Kart EVK are also pretty tall driver friendly.

As for your budget goes, you would have to determine What class and club you wanna race  at, and what the spec engine is to be able to race legally.

But if all you want is the good old weekend warrior, then any decent well maintained used kart/engine package will do.

Let us know what your budget is, and engine type to better help you, and steer you in the right direction. Hope this helps. FastFreddy.  ;)

Paul Hir
      Participant

Freddy,

Thank you for your reply. I am looking for a senior KT100 pipe or a HPV-4 kart (both are legal for the club I am racing at) I have a small budget of $1500 for a complete setup.

Gary Lawson
      Participant

I would keep that arrow you have Paul. You won’t find a better kart for 1500

Paul Hir
        Participant

Gary,

Arrow chassis great chassis but 20-25lbs heavier then the Birel I had.

Chuck hurlbert
      Participant

Im 6″1, 220 In a 2013 kosmic and i can shift just fine with out hitting my knees. Fits pretty well. i actually want to move my seat forward to try and get more weight up front and i think i can. I just need a new seat bc mine has a bunch of holes.

Gary Lawson
      Participant

I find it impossible that it could be that much heavier if it had the exact engine package. The only difference between that and mine is bigger tubing diameter but that isn’t even 5# I’d guess. My kart is fully lightened and is 153 with an animal on it. I’ve never seen any kart lighter. What year birel was it?

Alex Greco
      Participant

Guys, I’m not sure if I’m in the right thread for this question, but if anyone could give me some guidance here I’d be very thankful. So I’m really interested in karting and want to buy a kart, I found a “Corsair” chassis (used 2 or 3 times) with rims and tires for $500. I tried to find info on Corsair but found nothing. Anyone know anything about these chassis?

Gary Lawson
      Participant

I saw a pic on another post. Never heard of it on my 20 years in the sport.

FREDDY SANDOVAL
      Participant

Is it Corsa? Or Corsair? If it’s Corsa then that’s not the make, that should be the model. Not sure if made by Sodi Kart, or Hasse?

Please post some pictures, we can tell you what kind it is. FastFreddy.  ;)

Alex Greco
      Participant

Here’s the link to the chassis: http://www.kartsale.com/item/Corsair-Chassis-%28Full-Size%29/771

michael smith
      Participant

gary, would you mind sharing how you got to 153?

my kart , 32/32/50 with a clone is 168. i would love to get it to 153 if possible.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.