Home Forums Tech Talk Leoprard starts w/external,not box

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Brian Degulis 4 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Ric mcDade
    Participant

Help! My Leopard starts when I use the external starter, but not with the push button box. Worked fine last year, went to start it this year with a fresh, fully charged battery and it would not fire. New plug, and everything else you could think of. Even bought a new battery that cranks it 3 times faster than the usual batteries do. Even checked for spark, none. Put the external starter to it, and boom, fired right off. Replaced the push button box, and fired right off. tried again 10 minutes later and nothing. No spark again. External starter cranks it right off. Put a spare stator on, no spark using the box, fires off with external, tried another box, and it fired up, shut it off, and then it wouldnt start again. Are these stators bad and frying these boxes? Is there a way to check these stators to see if they are good before I fry another box? Boxes work for one start time, then they dont, spare used stator, box works and then it dont. HELP!

Brian Degulis
    Participant

The external starter probably turns it over much faster than the on board starter does even with a good hot battery. You might have an ignition problem that’s requiring the higher RPM of the external starter to make a good spark. Does it run well after you get it started?

Brian

Ric mcDade
    Participant

Runs fine after it starts,  but it has blown two good boxes, both of these known good boxes started it once, and after once, they have no spark at all, so it can’t be just not turning fast enough, they have no plug spark, none, and that’s with a motorcycle battery that spins the starter 3 times faster than normal, something is  blowing the box to where it won’t let the coil/stator to produce a spark. What could it be?

Brian Degulis
    Participant

So after you try turing over with the box then the with that box you have no spark even with the external starter?

Brian

Ric mcDade
    Participant

Start it once with the box, then the box will not start it again, box has lost all spark to plug, can leave the box connected and start it with an external all I want. It’s like  once the box starts it, the motor, stator, coil, whatever fries the box ignition circuit.

Brian Degulis
    Participant

I’m no expert but I would think if the ignition circuit in the box (I’m not sure there even is one on the unit I had the box was starting circuit only) were getting fried then it wouldn’t start with the external starter. When you go to the external starter all your replacing is the starter and battery it has no effect on ignition except that the cranking speed is much higher with the external starter. If you only get spark at a very high cranking speed then your problem is in the ignition maybe stator or coil.

Brian

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.