Home Forums TaG Leopard Clutch Cover Wear – New guy

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Clark Gaynor Sr. 4 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Nick Astarb
    Participant

New Guy here and I am getting some rubbing on the clutch cover that is severe. Just paid and installed a new cover and after a weekend pulled it off and found the same type of wear. Could someone point out what may be wrong here. Hope the pictures help.

Nick Astarb

Sean S
    Participant

What does your current clutch drum look like? Does it have holes in the face (MY09) or is it solid (MY07)? I only ask because my friend (don’t ask me why) has both engines with more 07 parts. He sometimes uses the 07 drum, which is wider, on the 09 Leopard. He said it works if you double up the washers on the engine side of the clutch bearing, pushing the drum away from the flywheel/clutch assembly… He never said anything about wear yet, but I’m sure it would just push the chain and driver out more, causing wear on the cover like that. Or possibly the engine side, coned thrust washer is backwards? The coned/angled part should be facing the engine. The angle of that wear pattern on you cover looks like the drum/driver is pushed out too far and the links/pins of the chain are dragging on it.

Hopefully someone others will chime in with some other tips. Here is an exploded view of the clutch side. https://cometkartsales.com/Leopard-MY09-Clutch-Parts/

and welcome
    EKN is the greatest place on the interwebs

Tony Kart / Leopard

Tim Koyen
    Participant

Its not unusual to get some wear on the inside of the clutch cover, although yours seems a bit excessive.  Often times the retaining clip will get weak and slip out of the groove, allowing the driver to wander on the shaft and possibly grind the chain on the cover.  There is a spacer that can be used in place of the retaining clip.  I don’t know the part number, but its an IAME part.

KartLift Kart Stands
    DeepSeat Kart Seats
    877-777-8020
    ------------------
    Don't bother PMing me, it doesn't work. Email is best: tim@kartlift.com.

Clark Gaynor Sr.
    Participant

As Tim stated, there’s a spacer which replaces the C-clip (the C- clip which holds the clutch drum in place).  Russell has them, and when you ask they’ll know exactly what you’re talking about.  They also wear, so get 3 or 4 of them at least.  You’ll need to change them a couple time a season.

Oh, and by the way, unless the bearing starts to loosen up, don’t change the clutch cover/third bearing support.  It will still work just fine!

Clark Sr.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.