Home Forums Tech Talk Laydown Enduro – 5" or 6" wheels

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Daniel Justice 3 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Daniel Justice
    Participant

We are putting together a laydown kart to be race ready and we are trying to decide new wheels.  Most say to run 6″ wheels at least in the rear, but I’ve heard many different opinions. We are considering 5″ all around, but I’ve been told it may not be advisable. We are running Yamaha Sportsman also. I’d like someone to break down the advantages/disadvantages, and the handling characteristics.

Daniel

Walt Gifford
    Participant

5.50 fronts on 6″ wheels, 6.0 rears on 7″ wheels, Dunlop SL-4 18psi.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Greg Wright
    Participant

We always found 450-5 fronts and 5.50-6 rears to be a good combo on most tracks.

7″ wheels Gif?

Greg Wright
    Rapid Racing Inc.
    Vintage B-Stock Pilot
    "When in doubt Gas it, It won't help but it ends the suspense."

Glen Cherry
    Participant

Most of the Laydown guys I know are using the Hoosier 10.5×4.50-6 Enduro Tire on front and rear. The tire seems wider than most 5.0 wide tires and being a sportsman it is plenty of tire to hold the kart. I would mount them on 6″ wide wheels. I have used these at Daytona as well as Hallett, those are two completely different tracks and this setup of tires works great. The controls and opens are using wider tires on the rear.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Yeah 6″ wide tire on a 7″ wide wheel, it worked good on my sit up sprint. Is that weird for a lay down?

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Glen Cherry
    Participant

To wide for a laydown kart! Situp sprint may work, but 5.5 on front would kill your speed and wear the arms out unless your on a twin.

Daniel Justice
    Participant

7″ wheels Walt? Let’s not get carried away, I’m still new to 6″ wheels!

But the 4.50-6 on all corners is one of the setups I was recommended also. How much would the handling change if you ran a 4.50 tire all around on 5″ wheels?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.