Home Forums General Karting Discussion Laps – USPKS vs WKA

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Jim Maier
      Participant

I was just reading one of the articles on here about USPKS and the focus on more laps and fewer classes. So I did a lap count for the 2 recent race weekends at GoPro.  I did the Yamaha Rookie class.  At WKA they got 96 laps as recorded on race monitor, and at USPKS they got 95 laps. Race monitor included one additional Friday session for USPKS.

If I recall correctly we had 5 practice sessions at Man Cup.  USPKS had 4 practice sessions and a Happy Hour session. So I only included two sessions from Friday because Race Monitor only showed the last two practice sessions, and for USPKS the additional Happy Hour.

My my kid is not old enough to race USPKS yet so this is just an observation. I’d call the lap count a tie between the two organizations.

David Cole
      Keymaster

Hi Jim, I think the big difference came from the old format with WKA and the new format. Before, they ran qualifying, prefinal and final each day. Most of the time, that added up to be less then the laps provided by USPKS. Now, they are qualifying, Heat 1, Heat 2, Prefinal and Final.

Talking with WKA President John Ferris, the new format has been a big hit with racers.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor

Mark Dismore Jr.
      Participant

USPKS helped address a lot of the issues that karters had with WKA at the time. More track time, time certain schedule, live practice timing, more racing, fewer classes and the racers noticed. WKA followed suit and overhauled their format to make it more racer friendly.

I was at the WKA and USPKS races at Mooresville the last two weekends and I think both series are doing a great job for the racer. I can only hope that the competition between series will only help improve the series for the racer.

Tim Koyen
      Participant

I would echo what Dave and Mark Jr. said.  At the time of conception, USPKS was offering significantly more track time, as well as other benefits, like cash payouts, a time specific schedule, etc.  Basically, the things most people thought were wrong with WKA, were addressed with USPKS.  The hope was that WKA would get the message that the product they were offering sprint racers was no longer what the racers wanted and they would make some changes, or at least there would be a series that was listening to the racers.  What we got was the best of both worlds.  USPKS went out and put on a great show, and WKA realized they needed to move forward and made great strides in their program.  Now there are two great programs, and hopefully they can both thrive.  A lack of competition breeds complacency, and that’s bad for everyone.  So yes, there isn’t much of a difference in laps anymore, but they still each have their own character and positives.

KartLift Kart Stands
      DeepSeat Kart Seats
      877-777-8020
      ------------------
      Don't bother PMing me, it doesn't work. Email is best: tim@kartlift.com.

Jim Maier
      Participant

We race Kid Karts and have actually built the class up to be one of the biggest at the WKA events by encouraging other families to come. But now people are grumbling about track time.  WKA actually made the kid karts laps shorter , and reduced the number of laps.  So the Kid Karts got something like 40% of the track time (less than half) of the other classes yet we had the same overhead to get there and race.  Hoping they increase our track time so people don’t lose interest. WKA is the only game in town for nat’l kid kart racing.

Jay Sinon
      Participant

One thing you should keep in mind too is not the amount of laps but the amount of track time.  Looking at it that way the faster karts even though they run more laps are probably on the track for the same amount of time. Honestly to watch kid karts go 16 laps would take forever and be boring to watch unless you are a parent of one of the drivers. No offence to the little guys!

TaG Sr.

Jim Maier
      Participant

11 minute final for kid karts.  24 minute final for other classes. I am talking track time.

Jay Sinon
      Participant

Sorry Jim,

I did not really time anything so I’m sure your right about the amount of track time for the finals we just watched and waited for our turn on the track and it didn’t seem like one race went quicker then the others, but just out of curiosity were your practices and qualifying times the same amount of time as everyone else? Or were they shortened too? 8 minutes I think it was? I wonder if the rain had something to do with it or that’s a normal procedure as it seemed in the drivers meetings they wanted to get out of there and it did rain both weekends for both the WKA and USPKS races.

TaG Sr.

Jim Maier
      Participant

Our heats were around 7 mins and others were over ten mins.  Not sure about practice.  Race monitor doesn’t show total time.  Races after ours were not shortened.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.