Home Forums Tech Talk KT Sportsman – can 7548 vs. RLV 7448 pipe

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  John Wehrheim 5 years ago.

• Author

Ted Hamilton
    Participant

My local track (GoPro Motorplex) has a KT-100 Senior class that utilizes the 4 hole can (RLV 7548). I know that WKA had implemented the pipe (7448) as a noise mitigator with the claim that performance was “same”. I’d like to persuade GoPro Motorplex to allow the can or pipe, but am looking for corroborating data as to performance equality. What is the current consensus on can/pipe mix? Thanks in advance,

~Ted Hamilton

www.facebook.com/hamiltonhelmets/
    2014 Praga Dragon / IAME KA-100

Ted Hamilton
    Participant

NEvermind. I found the cached page on the classicEKN that explained pipe as 1 sec faster per 25 sec laps. Looks to be no comparison. Guess I’ll be buying a soup can. Drat. I prefer pipes. Oh well….now some else searching will know, I guess.

Dan Schlosser
    Participant

The Pipe is better sounding, better performing and a ton more fun. Talk Eric in to making the change, absolutely no one will regret it. For Senior guys at 345 or higher, the Pipe is absolutely a no-brainer.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

pipe is 1 sec faster per 25 sec laps. Looks to be no comparison. Guess I’ll be buying a soup can. Drat. I prefer pipes. Oh well….now some else searching will know, I guess.

I don’t understand, you like pipes and they are faster but you’re buying a can?

I like the can myself, less power = smooth ride, easy to mount and no hassle adjusting the chain. Engine tires clutch, everything last longer.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Ted Hamilton
    Participant

Gif – when all they run is 1 KT-100 class, you run their rules, and their rules are a soup can at this point. I’ll discuss with the others in the class about the switch… :)

John Wehrheim
    Participant

Ted
    We have approx 10 Yamaha Sr’s racing the pipe and it is far better than the can. There is a bunch of us from Georgia that would like to come up and race but we haven’t due to the can. Maybe you and others can get them to change for 2014.

A bunch of us plan to race at Atlanta Motorsports Park on Dec 14th with the pipe. More info at http://www.tsracingatlanta.com.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.